Classic Rock Bottom

(Thanks to Scandal 2000 for giving me this idea!)

"Mr. Hand, will I pass this class? Gee Mr. Spicoli, I don't know." (Mr. Hand, 1982)

"I'm not familiar with this band at all." (Rjhog, 2013)

Two quotes to start of this week's L/F post, the former a classic and the latter a....what? I don't know what Rjhog was talking about, but I have another quote to sum up my feelings:

"What are you people, on dope?" (Mr. Hand, 1982)

Of course "you people" is referring to one person, that person being Rjhog. Really? You're not familiar with this band AT ALL?

I had two options: 1) I could refer him to a previous post of Rose Tattoo's "Scarred For Life" which was posted over two years ago on this here site or, 2) I could Smithwishbra Rose Tattoo and fill up the next few weeks with nothing but Rose Tattoo.

Either one or the other and I've chosen both. 

You're not familiar? Well, you will be. This week is the self-titled debut from Rose Tattoo, released in 1978. 

There's sure to be similarities with another Australian band, but Rose Tattoo is a bit more angrier (hell, the lead singer's name is Angry Anderson) and they use much more slide geetar. Pure, straight ahead, no-frills rock. Kinda like AC/DC. But not.

If you look at pictures at the band, they look like a group of thugs that would kick your ass without any warning and, when they were done, you would feel good about it. Is that a vibe you get from AC/DC? I don't think so.

What's sad is quite a few members of the band have died, most from cancer. I believe there have been at least six that have been in the band throughout the years that have died. However, thru this all, Rose Tattoo has soldiered on with their last release coming out in 2007.   

Rose Tattoo

1. Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw
2. Nice Boys
3. The Butcher And Fast Eddy
4. One Of The Boys
5. Remedy
6. Bad Boy For Love
7. T.V.
8. Stuck On You
9. Tramp
10. Astra Wally

Availability: The limited addition, which includes 8 bonus tracks (not included on the player) can be purchased for around $10.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I first heard of these guys about 15 years ago. I only have their Best Of double disc and I love em. No wonder them sounding like ACDC seeing as George Young (Angus and Malcolm's older brother) worked with this band too.

Definitely some good ol' ass kickin' bluesy rock n roll.

Lucky you, there's going to be more! Their last album, "Blood Brothers" is absolutely amazing.

Most of Rose Tatoo's stuff is really good. I was a big fan of Bon Scott era AC/DC and Rose Tatoo had a lot of that vibe, yet they weren't clones either. As the review stated, you hear a lot more slide guitar and the band is a little more of an aggressive, tougher sound. If you want to hear some good solid hard rock, take a chance on these guys. This album isn't a bad start or a good Best of works well too.

You posted these guys once before (yes I read your notes) and I recall it being very raw and very bar-scene rock and roll.  This actually sounds more mature and better suited for a larger venue (maybe auditorium sized) and a slightly more sophisticated audience, one that may appreciate the ACDC-ness and the geetar work versus the drinking quality. 

This would be an older album than what you posted before, correct?  If so, they either regressed or played to their strength...

I actually liked this a bit, not considering purchase, but some cool riffs, beats, and I did enjoy the slide geetar work in the AC/DC context.  Not sure Angry Anderson is much more than a story teller (more like BS'er) best suited for live performance than recorded.  but not such a bad album to spend my monday morning reporting routines listening to...

This is their first album, the one I posted before was their third.

See, now I just don't understand all of the fuss.  This is definitely straight forward Rock and Roll, but the songs just aren't there for me.  As a matter of fact, a couple of 'em are terrible.  Oh well, to each his own...and my own ain't this.  But thanks for posting Jon.

This is going to suck for you then. You're going to be Scotted for the next few weeks!

Nope, no sucking.  I don't mind listening at all.  You never know when something will change your mind.

Scotted? Good one... As long as its not Zebra or those Smitherwhatstheirbuckets, then I'm good

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos