Classic Rock Bottom

I've done some albums from the 70's and some from the 80's, so I was debating what I should do next. Last week's pick (Dogpound) was a theme that is going to be continuous, just stuff that I've picked up somehow, someway and think that the fine folks here might enjoy.

So for the time being, what should my next theme be? Of course, it could only be stuff from the 90's! If I stick with it (you know me), there's going to be some stuff from bands you might not have heard of, some bands that you think suck (well, I do), but who actually put out something in the 90's that was halfway decent.

With that out of the way, this week's pick is the 1992 release from Mother's Finest, "Black Radio Won't Play This Record". A couple years ago Rjhog posted this, "Another Mother Further", their 1977 release. Funk rock and fine funk rock at that.

In the early 80's they released a hard rock album, "Iron Age" and in 1989 released "If Looks Could Kill" which was an R&B album. As you can guess, this was a band that the record companies had no idea how to market. 

What would the next step be? Why, this album here. This is straight ahead hard rock, with a couple slower tunes. But the rest? Seriously, this is heavy stuff. You want geetar? Hell, there's geetar spewing out of the speakers on this one, literally dripping out. 

Alas, this album didn't sell well. Don't believe any of their albums really did, but they had a few hits throughout the year. Nothing on this one though. Wonder if those that bought the previous album were expecting the same and those that had bought "Iron Age" were turned off by the R&B album. Who knows. Maybe grunge killed this album. Grunge sucks.

Yes, Joyce Kennedy sings her ass off on this album, sharing vocal duties with Glenn Murdock. I'm in awe of her voice, just amazing stuff. 

Black Radio Won't Play This Record

1. Like A Negro

2. Power

3. Generator

4. Cry Baby

5. Shirt

6. The Wall

7. Attitude

8. Crack Babies

9. Head Bangin' And Booty Shakin'

10. Stop

11. Move (Get Outta My Way)

12. L.P.F.   

Availability: OOP but look around. The molten mass of metal can be your for around $13. BUY IT!l

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking forward to this one!

I've always liked Mother's Finest.  They were part of a 3 band lineup for my first ever concert way back when.  And I absolutely love the album Another Mother Further.  But I've never owned anything else.  My cousin had the live album from back in the 70's and we listened to that a lot.  If I remember correctly, they did a mean cover of Magic Carpet Ride.  I have recently picked up their debut as well.  But that's it.

This album is killer.  Great guitar work.  And it's definitely a hard rock album.  Joyce Kennedy is a tremendous vocalist.  Always has been.  Her performance on Baby Love from Another Mother Further hooked me.  And here, 15 years after that performance, and she still sounds fantastic.  I just can't tell you how much I enjoyed this album.  This would be my favorite ever L/FAOTW.  Great job Jon.

I keep thinking of Southern Rock when I this bands name comes up.  Why?  Not sure but this listen should get that misconception out of my mind real fast!

Loved the geetar assault of the first two tracks.  Those were fast paced, no filler, no nonsense rock and roll tunes.  Like that.  But I got lost when Generator came on, it fell into the background.  But I liked Cry Baby - why I am not sure, the vocal style doesn't usually suit me, but this worked.

I think I've hit the filler section of the album, Shirt and The Wall weren't very good at all. But Attitude was a step back into   good rock and roll.  And then with Crack Babies I get lost again, but because I'm so plugged into social issues like this I listened to get the message.  I learned that crack babies have no choice, are in pain and there are white guys in my neighborhood who don't care.  Its interesting they follow up this painful call to action with a song titled  "Head Bangin' and Booty Shakin'" - that's quite a transition!

Now Crack Babies followed up with LPF would have been a much much better follow up song.

Nice post, and a big LPF to all you out there on this memorial day!!

Ok, I'll bite. Was hoping someone else would so I wouldn't look stoopid. What does LPF mean?????

did you not listen to the song?

obviously you didn't listen to the tracks.(or you missed the connection) Last song here. Its a good one check it out. Really diggin this band.

There's a bit of Grand Funk in there too. Great post.

Please. You guys think I listen to the stuff I post? HA!

But to be serious now, if he had written L.P.F., then I would have got the connection. It was the absence of the punctuation that threw me off.  

blame shifter

I know, right?

I like this. Sounds A LOT like Tina Turner and it rocks too with just the right amount of funk. Nice post. I never heard of them before.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos