Classic Rock Bottom

Double whammy for Niels! He asks, and we DELIVER!

Really not much to say. It's Freddie Mercury and everyone SHOULD know who Freddie Mercury is. If not, go to Wikipedia. 

Heck, let's really cheat and turn to allmusic.com for a review of this album:

"After 15 years at the helm of British rock legends Queen, singer Freddie Mercury finally released his first solo album, Mr. Bad Guy, while the band was on hiatus in 1985. As Queen's vocal signature and creative leader, it was only natural that many aspects of the group's sound would carry over into Mercury's solo work; however, the frontman still does a commendable job of stretching into uncharted territory. The synthesizers of "Let's Turn It On" announce that Queen's typical guitar heaviness will be conspicuously absent throughout the album, while extravagance will be at an all-time high. "I Was Born to Love You," the album's leadoff single, elevates '70s disco and '80s dance influences to a level of blatant pop silliness that Queen would never dare approach. Mercury also combines his acoustic piano playing with synthesizer-driven backing tracks for the beautifully dramatic "Made in Heaven" and "Your Kind of Lover," which transforms from a simple lounge number (piano and singer) into a Latin-flavored pop workout. The singer's talent for complex and original arrangements also yields multifaceted pieces like "Man Made Paradise," with its Queen-like chorused opera vocals and Brian May-esque guitar soloing, and the daring, self-mocking title track, which combines a sinister bass motif, playful piano tinkling, and even big-band horn arrangements. Other winners such as "There Must Be More to Life Than This," "Living on My Own," and "Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow" help make this an outstanding record from start to finish."

In the 90's a compilation titled "The Great Pretender" was released with quite a few tracks from this album included. However, they were much more geetar heavy. "Made In Heaven" was also included on the same-titled Queen album, but in a different version.

It's a good album, a little bit disco, a little bit Queen and all Freddie!

Mr. Bad Guy

1. Let's Turn It On

2. Made In Heaven

3. I Was Born To Love You

4. Foolin' Around

5. Your Kind Of Lover

6. Mr. Bad Guy

7. Man Made Paradise

8. There Must Be More To Life Than This

9. Living On My Own

10. My Love Is Dangerous

11. Love Me Like There Is No Tomorrow

Availability: OOP, but maybe $30 used?

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember, if I've heard all of this album before. I THINK, I did, but I'm not sure. I never bought it myself, but I remember, when it was released. I loved Queen in the 70's, but "The Game" was the last classic Queen-album, and I was SO dissapointed in "Hot Space". So what I heard from this one, was kind of the same Disco-stuff, not the Queen I liked, and I KIND of hoped, that since Mercury was the man behind "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Killer Queen" among many other great tracks from the 70's, that his solo-album would be a great rock-album, but no, not really.

Hey, I just realized, that "Made In Heaven" was originally from this album!! Well, you learn sonthing new every day. I like this version the best. Then I guess, that I HAVEN'T heard all of this album before!

"I was born to love you" was a major hit in Denmark back then, and I still like that one. Even though it's Disco.

Again, I'm a bit confused about, having I heard the album before or not, because I certainly have heard the first 4 tracks more than once!!

"Your Kind Of Lover" has a 70's/80's Queen-feel over it, but with Disco-drums, and I can NOT remember this one? It's rather good!!

The track "Mr. Bad Guy" was also played on the radio a lot. And so was "Living On My Own".

Isn't it Brian May on guitar on "Man Made Paradise"? It must be! Again it sounds very much like Queen, maybe not at their best, but still.

"TMBMTLTT" is yet another great Mercury-track, that could  easily had been on a Queen-album. I've also heard this one, so if I haven't heard the whole album before, it's only a couple of tracks, that I haven't heard.

"Living on my own" is not very good, and never was.

I don't think, I've heard "My love is dangerous", and I don't care, if I ever hear it again, even though it has a geetar-solo.

"LMLTINT" is not bad, and sounds kind of like "Save Me".

I think it's a pretty good album, even though you could had expected more from the man that wrote the best piece of music ever. Yes, I mean "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I don't think Brian May played on this album. I checked the credits and he isn't listened. Could be a guest spot, but not 100% sure.

Get "The Great Pretender". You want lots of geetar on some of these songs? There's plenty on that album!

So this was a pretty good listen.  That second track, I think it was, definitely reminds me of Hot Space.  But even with all the disco beats and stuff like this, I enjoyed this.

I think the best song overall was the last one.

The second track? FIrst, sure. Third, sure. But second?

I wasn't sure, but now that I look back at what the second track is, I can see that it must have been that first track.

I dont get what the problem with Hot Space is? Its one of the funnest listens in the Queen catalog...

Made in Heaven sounds like the same vocal with a different backin gtrack.  I too prefer the version on the album of the same title.

Foolin Around is a fun listen, much like Hot Space

This is better than I thought.  Makes me smile!  Good Post!  This Niels guy must have good taste in music

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos