Classic Rock Bottom

I mean, I've HEARD of 707, but never owned anything from this band.

That all changed when I found a greatest hits disc for super cheap. To say I was letdown is a severe understatement. Don't know what I expected, but it was pretty much quite bland. Quite silly too, when you factor in the theme song from "Megaforce" was included.

Wait. You['ve never heard of "Megaforce"? The one with the feather-haired Barry Bostwick, Persis Khambatta WITH hair and that guy from "The Warriors" and the classic "Xanadu"?  

I remember when it was heavily featured in Starlog, if I remember the name of the magazine correctly. Kind of like the sci-fi version of Fangoria

A year or so ago, "Megaforce" was released on DVD. However, there was an issue with the DVD in that all the characters sounded like they had sucked in some helium. Thankfully the company that released the DVD set up a program where you could send in the problematic DVD and they would send you the corrected version. I have no idea what this has to do with anything, but it was kinda funny listening to the voices.

Going back to that greatest hits disc, there was one track that really stood out titled "Don't Say You Love Me" with absolutely stellar geetar work. Sucker that I am, I went ahead and purchased the album with that song, "The Fourth Decade", which was released in 2006.

I must say this is pretty darn good. AOR for sure, but there is quite a bit of really nice geetaring throughout. At this time the band was basically down to one original member and you can read about the band as well as the connection to a certain band that I will not mention by clicking HERE.    

The Fourth Decade

1. Same Way Out
2. No More
3. Up In Smoke
4. Love Me Right
5. The Fourth Decade
6. Don't Say You Don't Love Me
7. One More Chance
8. A Sinful Woman
9. Angilee
10. Broke Outta Hell
11. Going Home

Availability: Around $7.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same Way Out - I like this.  Definitely AOR.  Good hook.  This was 2006?  Sounds like 80's.  Love the rhythm guitar track.

No More - The vocals need to be turned up a bit.  Maybe it's just my computer/speakers/headphones? I turned it up a bit and it sounds better.  Another good chorus.  Very laid back, almost in an ARS kind of way.  There's that guitar you were referring to.

Up In Smoke - This one really sounds 80's.  Worst song so far.

Love Me Right - The power ballad that speeds up for the chorus.  I like that idea.  Verses here are good, chorus not as much. 

The Fourth Decade - Oooohhhh.   A power ballad instrumental.  You don't here that too often.  I like it.  They should have written some lyrics.

Don't Say You Don't Love Me - That's like saying do say you do love me.  Is this a third straight power ballad?  I feel like this is gonna speed up momentarily.  There it is, just a bit though.  Not crazy about the song, but I do like that geetar.

One More Chance - Fourth strait slow paced song.  The difference is that this song blows.  Let's speed things back up a bit, please.

A Sinful Woman - Now, that's better.  This is a great driving song.  I should be driving while listening to this.

Angilee - I bet if you put Neal Schon and Steve Perry on this song you might have a hit.  Well, not really, not today, but yesterday maybe.  Not a bad song, but it's missing something (like Neal Schon and Steve Perry).

Broke Outta Hell - Great title.  Killer intro too.  Like the drums too.  Cool song.  Would fit well on my Heaven & Hell iPod playlist.

Going Home -  This could have been played by Mike Pell on his Thanksgiving 2013 show with a title like that.  Not surprised at all that it's slow.  But I always like a nice lead intro like that.  And it's very extended.  Or is this another instrumental power ballad?  Yep, that's what it is.  This is just too cool.  

Excellent post sir.  I have a new found respect for you.  It's hard to believe the rest of their stuff stinks being this is so good.  I would think Gordon would like this as well.  Not Niels, he doesn't like anything anymore, unless it's extremely proggy.  Scott, not so sure.  Probably not.  

And then he just had to mess with Ahnuld:

This s my 3rd crack at trying to get through this...  Ive come to some sort of conclusion

And that's this isn't really that bad, but its just there, playing in the background.  I start it and then I forget that I was listening to it, I restart it and the same thing happens.  Maybe its me but this is just what it is.  Solid musicianship, some pretty good song structures (for 80's related Pop Metal) but just nothing separates it from anything that been done before or since and so it melts into the background like any decent long forgotten album does ...

Ive already forgotten what I wrote..

Did someone say Dinner?

I read through the comments before I "pushed play". As the first 1/3 of the album played, I kind of agreed with Scott, that it was ok, but nothing really stood out. BUT....by about half way through this sucker, I was really starting to dig it.

First thing I noticed was the production. Even though I'm listening through small, computer speakers, it sounds really good to me. The mixture of distorted, rock guitar tones with cleaner tones, somewhat bluesy or even jazzy, is top notch to me. Killer lead guitar work, and I love how the lead guitarists "fits in" a lot of lead work along with, or in between, vocal lines. Love good guitar fills between vocal lines! Very "Schenker-ish", and "Nugent-ish" on the guitar fills.

Now, on to some specific comments on some of the tracks:

1) Same Way Out - right off the bat, a great use of mixing clean with distorted guitar tones. Very nice vocal melody.

2) No More - Love the intro section. Great bluesy guitar fills on this one. Love the closing section and lead during it, as well. Great rhythm guitar and tone for this.

4) Love Me Right - So far, the majority of the clean guitar tones has been in rhythm, but there is some nice sounding clean lead work here.

5) The Fourth Decade - Love the tempo and heaviness change right at the 2 minute mark. Another tempo and heaviness change at the 4:10 mark. The "ascending" riffage sounds killer. Great lead work, especially in the last minute of the song.

6) Don't Say You Love Me - Nice, soft intro for 50 seconds, then picks up pace and the great guitar fills begin. Great "atmospheric" production. Best song so far, for me. Sing along chorus, excellent guitar...just a great track.

7) One More Chance - Nice, clean, slow picking, and then strumming, during the intro. Not crazy about this chorus, though. Nice, slow guitar lead , played with "feel".

8) A Sinful Woman - Killer lead work again. Check out the burst from 38 seconds to 44 seconds!! Lead guitar fills throughout the vocals - very nice!! Like the chorus harmony. Closing lead section smokes! Especially from about the 3:45 mark till song fades out.

10) Broke Outta Hell - Great intro lead burst! In fact, throughout the whole song. Second best track for me. Love the rhythm riff change at the 1:38 mark. Another great lead starts right here. Great ending lead! Loads of great guitar here!

Overall, after two complete listens....this is way cool. Definitely under strong consideration for purchase. If I don't buy it, I'll  be back to listen again. But I'll probably buy!

Another to add to my list...ya'll send money, so I can eat while I rock!! Cash preferred, checks ok....

Oh, go to Amazon and pick it up. It's really cheap, I'll send you a couple packages of Ramen Noodles to tide you over.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos