Classic Rock Bottom

As a grand gesture, I made the album cover really, really big so you can study it and figure out all the hidden messages.

It's actually quite funny, me posting this. A couple weeks ago I posted the latest Spacehog album in NMC and didn't expect anyone (the two) to like it. Surprisingly, the Mikeys liked it! They really liked it.

This being the first full weekend of December, it's anniversary time so this album just fell into my grand scheme of things since this album came out 15 years ago. Gotta love how things work sometimes.

What first introduced me to this band was the song "Mungo City" which did get some airplay, at least on a radio station I listened to. Think it was in Omaha, could have been Salt Lake City. No matter, I dug the song enough that I got this album. 

At first listen, it appears to be a concept album. What the concept was, I had no idea. While doing "research" for this particular album, I stumbled across this (courtesy of Wikipedia):

"The Chinese Album was considered for a soundtrack and basis of a film called Mungo City (later called The Chinese Movie). It was to be about a band that moves to Hong Kong for success after being rejected by a New York record company. Unsatisfied with the final script, Spacehog dismissed any plans for shooting."

This kind of sounds like an album from a band that shall not be mentioned here, an album that is considered by me the greatest album that certain band ever put out. That's all I'm going to say about that.

What you'll get here is a mixture of prog and glam. Plenty of geetar throughout with a cover of a Talking Heads song leading off. There's also a song featuring some guy from a Georgia band that also shall not be mentioned here. Just know that this guy dances really, really whacky-like. 

NOTE: Some foul language. Beware.  

The Chinese Album

1. One of These Days
2. Goodbye Violet Race
3. Lucy's Shoe
4. Mungo City
5. Skylark
6. Sand In Your Eyes
7. Captain Freeman
8. 2nd Avenue
9. Almond Kisses
10. Carry On
11. Anonymous
12. Beautiful Girl

Availability: OOP but $4 used. 

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone has learned how to turn vinyl into MP3's!!!

Ah, the old "Album cover hidden message game" game...  fun!

• Pig with Asian girl = Iron Chef Pre-Teens Edition?
  • Girl has Band-Aid on her finger.  Stuck Pig?

ok I'm bored with this game...

• One of These Days is, at best, odd but then again so were/are The Talking Heads
  • Goodbye Violet Race is only slightly better
  • I liked Lucy Shoes for about 30 seconds, these guys are different, I will give them that
  • Very smooth needle drop on Side 2...
  • I actually liked 2nd Avenue...  First song that worked all the way through for me
  • Almond Kisses is very slick!  REM-ish as I hear Stipes vocals and songwriting in it, best song on the album!
  • Really liked the two closers, solid work on Side 2!!

I'm started to feel like the songs are getting to feel the same in an odd way..  Nothing is standing out and it gets odder the longer I listen.  Then Side 2 starts and everything changes, for the better!

Didn't mind this one at all...  Aint gonna buy it, but I didn't not like hearing it!

I really enjoyed the NMC post of this band last week.  Here are some thoughts on this:

• Vocally, this reminds me of David Bowie.
  • This is kind of weird.
  • It reminds me style wise of Foxy Shazam.
  • Lucy's Shoe has a Beatles feel and is a cool song.
  • I also like Captain Freeman and 2nd Avenue.
  • The first half of the album is very deliberate, while the second half picks up the pace on most of the songs.

I can't figure out whether to like this band or not.  I'm on the proverbial fence.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos