Classic Rock Bottom

Welcome to the new year. And my 177th Lost/Forgotten Album Of The Week post.  Posting anniversary albums on the first weekend of each month was a lot of fun last year, so let's do it again this year!

We kick off with the fifth studio album from a band that's been going at it in some form or fashion for over forty years now.  It's "There's The Rub" by Wishbone Ash. For many years I was not a particular fan of Aerosmith other than the big hits Dream On and Walk This Way.  Then they released Pump in the late 80's and I loved that album.  I have since gone back and picked up most of their early catalog, including this little gem.  It's a really good album.  Nice guitar playing and a very strong rhythm section.  I also hear a lot of maturity in Steven Tyler's voice on this album as compared to the debut.

Yes, we did go thru a mini run through some Wishbone Ash albums a couple years ago. However, unlike others, I do not believe in repeats! If you haven't heard this one before, it's fresh! Fresh, just like the New Year! 

Mostly gone is the progginess of "Argus", but it's still there. What's definitely still there is the twin geetars, most prevalent on "Don't Come Back" and the instrumental "F.U.B.B.". Also gone was geetarist Ted Turner, replaced by Laurie Wisefield.

I bought this album two years ago when I was going thru my Wishbone Ash kick but didn't listen to it until last year. Kind of silly on my part since this is a fantastic album, one that hasn't been posted on this site before! 

There's The Rub

1. Silver Shoes
2. Don't Come Back
3. Persephone
4. Hometown
5. Lady Jay
6. F.U.B.B

Availability: The cheapest addition is the CD two-fer, which includes this album as well as "Locked In" which isn't that great of an album, but does have its moments. Yo can get the two-fer for less than $10. 

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a sweet post Jon.  Nice way to start out the new year.  This is good rock music.  Here are some short notes I jotted down while listening:

1. Silver Shoes - Sounds like a Joe Walsh song.

2. Don't Come Back - Very cool song.

3. Perspective - A ballad.  I like it.

4. Hometown - Very solid track, nice geetars.

5. Lady Jay - My favorite.  It's a wicked cool track, somewhat haunting with great use of the old banjo.

6. F.U.B.B. - An instrumental.  It's long but interesting throughout.

Best post so far this year, easily.

With an album title and cover like that, Thankfully he's not holding a blue ball...

Cricket hater!

Looking past the Cover Issues...

Silver Shoes:  I get the Joe Walsh connection RJ heard and as I have been getting into his work lately, this sounded really solid!  And with the great hallmark geetar work.

Don't Come Back:  Unique work here.  Pretty Cool, not sure why but BOC came to mind during parts of that, I think it was the rhythm work (but cant be sure), now I gotta go back get into some old BOC!

Persephone:  Persephone (/pərˈsɛfən/, per-SEH-fə-nee; Greek: Περσεφόνη), also called Kore (/ˈkɔər/; "the maiden"),[1] is the daughter of Zeus and the harvest-goddess Demeter, and queen of the underworld. Homer describes her as the formidable, venerable majestic queen of the underworld, who carries into effect the curses of men upon the souls of the dead. Persephone was abducted by Hades, the god-king of the underworld.[2] The myth of her abduction represents her function as the personification of vegetation which shoots forth in spring and withdraws into the earth after harvest; hence she is also associated with spring as well as the fertility of vegetation.

Just thought you'd like to know that...  And so with that backdrop the song becomes a little more intriguing.  I love the mandolin/geetar work, has a haunting quality to it, again no thanks to now know what/who Persephone is.

Hometown:  More of that James Gang feel...  Liking this

Lady Jay:  More haunting geetar!  So far everything is working perfectly

FUBB:  The last two letters stand for "Beyond Belief", I'll let you figure of the rest.  I like 10 minutes tracks, a lot, and don't mind them when they are instrumentals even.

So I looked this album up on Wiki (mostly to see what FUBB stood for and I guessed the first two letters correctly) and learned that this album is considered one of their very best.  This played very well beginning to end and has peaked my interest further about this band!  When my brother visited I got on his case about Argus since he was older and should have introduced me to this band at much younger age.  He told me he did, and I missed it.  Whatever!  Not missing them anymore!

Very nice post!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos