Classic Rock Bottom

Due to guilt, I have forced myself to post this. 

Ayreon's latest album made out top ten list of the year. However, it was not posted in NMC and for a very good reason. 

Basically, "The Theory Of Everything" is comprised of very long songs, broken down into mini-songs. Posting this would have completely wrecked the flow of the album due to the pauses between songs. What you would get would be a snippet followed by a pause as the song continues. Believe me, it ruins the awesomeness of the album. To listen, you can't have the pauses. It's very distracting. I know. I listened to it with the pauses. It made me insane. 

So, out of the graciousness of my heart, I've reached all the way back to 2002 and bring to you the debut album from Star One, titled "Space Metal". This is also from Arjen Anthony Lucassen, the brains behind Ayreon. My present to you.

A few years ago the followup, "Victims Of The Modern Age", was my pick of album of the year. I don't believe anyone else really liked the album, at least from the songs that were posted in NMC. Now everyone is older, so maybe their thinking has changed? 

As you can tell by the title, all the songs have a sci-fi theme. Like "Victims Of The Modern Age", all the songs here are based on sci-fi movies. It's up to you to figure out which sci-fi movies. I can't do all the work for you.

Typically, the production is top-notch. This is an album that just begs to be listened to thru headphones. It also begs to be listened to in the car at the highest volume possible.

It's prog, but heavy prog.

Plenty of geetars.

We like geetars.

We like lots of geetars.

Space Metal

1. Lift-Off
2. Set Your Controls
3. High Moon
4. Songs Of The Ocean
5. Master Of Darkness
6. The Eye Of Ra
7. Sandrider
8. Perfect Survivor
9. Intergalactic Space Crusaders
10. Starchild

Availability: The regular edition can be found for around $10. The limited edition is a digibook and comes with a bonus CD that includes a couple cover songs as well as other bonuses. However, this version is OOP and prices are starting around $30.   

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first full song, track two, is really good.  I like the use of the keyboards.  They work great here.  And how 'bout that Queenish geetar on Songs Of The Ocean.  The vocals are really nice on this song as well.  Vocally, this song could have been a really cool Styx song a long time ago.  

The song "The Eye Of Ra" is the first song that bogs down a bit.  And there really is no recovery from there.  Intergalactic Space Crusaders tries unsuccessfully, and in the epic final track, the vocal in parts once again remind me just a bit of the guy from Kansas (Steve Walsh maybe?).  But again, I just think The Eye Of Ra buried this one for me.

Overall, it's pretty good.  One problem for me with this genre can sometimes be the lack of melody, but this album, especially the first half, has plenty of that.  The guitars are good and overall the vocals are good.  I'd rate this one slightly above the average for this genre, maybe a 6.5 out of 10.  Definitely worth a listen.  Thanks for posting.

I bought The Theory of Everything and still haven't got through all of it yet...  But I do recognize the organ as a prominent part of the tunes here and there.  I love that...

Space Metal is ok, not as proggy as I thought it would be.  And I agree with RJ, it is a little flat meaning it is missing some melodic goodness that would really elevate this to a cool level.

Nice listen though!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos