Classic Rock Bottom

First weekend of the month again, so time for another anniversary album, this time the 30th anniversary of Toto's followup to the mega-selling and Grammy winning "IV".

This was actually going to be a double post with two albums from 1984. Both playlists were built and titles, album covers were found and I was set.

Yet something was bugging me. I had this sneaky suspicion that I had already featured one of the albums but when I checked the listing of albums we had posted here throughout the years, I couldn't find it. But it still bugged me and right before I was getting ready to start with this post, I checked the Lost/Forgotten archive and found the album. It wasn't posted on this site, but on tjhat other site that will not be named. Wonder if anyone would have noticed?

So, this is dropped back down to one album this week. Other than the 30th anniversary of this album, this is also being posted in tribute to Fergie Frederiksen who passed away on January 18th.

When this album came out, I didn't like it. Even though "IV" had a ton of mellow songs and this one was more hard rock, nothing really grabbed me. I guess the record buying public felt the same since this wasn't a huge seller like the previous album, or maybe they were expecting "IV: Part II". I swear I listened to this album once when it came out and that was it. 

After this album, I could care less about Toto. This changed when I heard "Stay Away" on a radio station during a smash or trash type segment, one where the listeners decided if the featured song(s) would ever be played on that station again. i believe it got a "trash", but I liked it because it rocked hard so I bought the album which was supposedly Toto's comeback attempt. I don't believe "The Seventh One" was a huge seller, at least compared to "IV", but I like it. 

After "Isolation" came "Fahrenheit". If people thought they had lost it with this week's album, they sure as hell didn't buy "Fahrenheit" which is not a good album at all. It's jaw dropping bad. I don't know if I revisit it I'll feel differently considering I listened to it maybe a year ago. I dunno, maybe it's just me with that album.

As for this album, I made a mistake back in '84. This is really a very good album and would make it in my top six Toto albums:

1. Falling In Between

2. Kingdom Of Desire

3. Toto

4. IV

5. Hydra

6. Isolation 

7. The Seventh One

and so on with "Fahrenheit" dead last.     

Isolation

1. Carmen
2. Lion
3. Stranger in Town
4. Angel Don't Cry
5. How Does It Feel
6. Endless
7. Isolation
8. Mr. Friendly
9. Change of Heart
10. Holyanna

Availability: Cheap!

For those wondering, the other album this week would have been "Vices" from Kick Axe. Thems the breaks!

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fahrenheit is worse than Turn Back! I like Fahrenheit, just sayin
I LOVED this album, when it was released in '84. I had not bought IV, because at the time of the release in '82, that was pure pop to me, and I only listened to HM. This was actually one of the first "pop"- albums, I bought. Well, off course it wasn't but it felt like that in November '84. It really reminds me of the winther '84/'85.
Best tracks are Carmen, Lion, Angel don't cry, Endless, Mr. Friendly and Change of heart. MAN, they could play on their instruments!! Especially the drummer (RIP). After buying this, I at last bought IV, and yes, it's okay, but not as good as this one. I was soooooooo disapointed when Fahrenheit was released!!!! Absolute crap! The singer, they got instead of Frederiksen sounded like f...... Michael Jackson. The Seventh One was a little better, but Toto never got as good as they were in '84 again. One of the absolute best '80s albums, in league with Simple Minds "Once Upon A Time" and Uriah Heep's "Abominog". Classic!!!

You need to check out "Falling In Between" if you haven't already. Blows this album away.  

I have checked out all of the Toto-albums up to The Seventh One. None of them beats this one imo.
First Toto album I bought was Hydra, and I still love that album most of all. Funny how the first album you buy from a band is usually the one you still love the most year so later...

The only Toto albums I own are a Greatest Hits disc and IV.  Actually, I have a boot as well.  I totally dig the first song that I'm listening to now. Great hook.

Wow, this is really good.  Although I'd prefer hearing both a couple more times, I'm inclined to agree with Niels that this is better than IV.  This thing is smothered in hooks and melodies.  And is it just me, or does the vocalist sound very much like Mickey Thomas of Jefferson Starship or just plain Starship if you prefer?

I think I may buy the complete albums collection since I have very little Toto.  Unless someone wants to suggest the individual discs I should buy and what I should leave off.

Start with their debut and Hydra... 

I would definitely get Toto, Hydra, Isolation, The Seventh One, Kingdom Of Desire and Falling In Between and just fill in the spaces with the others, whenever. 

Doesn't this just leave IV and one other?  I have IV.  So should I splurge and spend 30 plus dollars and get everything except Falling In Between, which I can buy separately since you said earlier that it's better than Isolation?

That will leave Turn Back, Fahrenheit, Mindfields & Tambu. You should also get XX which isn't an actual studio album, but it's worth it. I don't think there's a boxset with all their albums, but there should be one of those original album series sets which will have a few of the albums.

You can listen to Kingdom Of Desire HERE, the player is still active.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos