Classic Rock Bottom

Since Asia has a brand new album, I figured I might as well feature an old Asia album as this week's pick. Not only that, it's also the 20th anniversary of "Aria" which means that this album came out in 1994 (for those that are math-deficient).

Actually, posting this can make one feel old. It's been 32 years since the debut Asia album and after 1985's "Astra",  everyone thought that they were done. But then came 1992 and a new Asia album, "Aqua", came along featuring Geoff Downes, John Payne on vocals and Al Pitrelli on geetar with guest appearances from Steve Howe and Carl Palmer. For those wondering what "Aqua" sounded like, check the archives.

With "Aria", they were back down to a four-piece with John Payne on bass & vocals, Al Pitrelli on geetar, Geoff Downes on keyboards and John Sturgis on drums. The geetar is a bit heavier on this album and it's less of a prog album and more of a melodic rock album. 

Here's a nice review from allmusic.com:

"Geoff Downes, Steve Howe, and Carl Palmer surprised everyone when they re-formed Asia in 1992, with a new singer (John Payne) and a second guitarist (Al Pitrelli). Even more surprising was the fact that Aqua -- the album no one had been expecting -- was quite impressive, arguably superior to its three predecessors. What could easily have been an isolated one-shot experience turned into a continuing success story when Downes returned to the studios two years later, but without Howe and Palmer. The latter was replaced by drummer Michael Sturgis. Howe, of course, could not be "replaced" (that would have been an insult to his talent) -- so Pitrelli thus became the sole guitarist of the band. Asia, now a quartet, nonetheless managed to release yet another amazing album. This is in most part due to Payne's vocals and Downes' creative mind. The album does start off with a few weaknesses, but as the music flows and you move deeper into the tracks, melodies become richer and more intricate, and the lyrics more interesting. The fourth track, "Summer," is a great song; "Sad Situation" is a marvel; and "Don't Cut the Wire" a work of art. The second half of the record is near-perfect, from the romantic "Feels Like Love" to the symphonic "Aria," which makes for a great finale. The weakest part is the chorus of "Enough's Enough." A great investment, if you like this type of music."

It's fun to go back to the John Payne albums, at least to me. Maybe I was living under a rock but you don't hear much about the 5 albums featuring Payne. Definitely no airplay from what I remember. The last Payne-era album, 2004's "Silent Nation", got some decent promotion but it wasn't until 2008's "Phoenix" with the original members that you REALLY heard about Asia again.

If you haven't, check out the albums with John Payne. They're really not that bad.

Aria

1. Anytime
2. Are You Big Enough?
3. Desire
4. Summer
5. Sad Situation
6. Don't Cut the Wire (Brother)
7. Feels Like Love
8. Remembrance Day
9. Enough's Enough
10. Military Man
11. Aria

Availability: The original Mayhem release can be had for around $5 used or new. The limited edition re-release can be had for around $15 new or $166 (!) used. 

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love love love what you've done here!  Perfect timing, perfect post and perfect content.  This is likely the best work you've ever done on CRB, and that's a huge statement given your High Quality track record.

Really? Awesome! Very excited now!

So, in all seriousness, this is really quite good.  It has a very serious tone to it, everything seems to have an epicness about it.  But the guitar work and the songs really work...

The first two tracks are builders, and while they are not the best on the disc, they do set the stage ... Summer is a really nice tune!  Seems to be very radio friendly and very melodic, right up my alley!  But the majority of the disc is very unique in a very good way. Even the ballad, Feels Like Love, flowed nicely.  Remembrance Day is really cool!  11 for 11 on this one!

I will give Downes credit, he know how to put a band together and make the songs work for the talent around him.

I recall another "lost" Asia album, Aura, that received some really nice reviews.  I've almost pulled the trigger on it a couple different times.  This one goes on the wish list and inches my curiosity about Aura to very high status! And now I've got a few other Payne releases that I need to check out...

This is your best of 2014 so far...  And I'm not saying that to avoid another dreaded Raven post (dreaded is a nice way to say it).  Truly a nice post!!!

If you ask NICELY, I'm sure I can post Aura in the future.

This was a nice listen.  I totally agree with Jon's assessment, it is not very prog but it is quite melodic.  And that works good for me.   There are some good songs here.  The best for me would be Summer, Don't Cut The Wire (Brother) and Remembrance Day.  The guitar is really cool too.

I think, overall, Wetton has a more unique and soothing voice than Payne, but Payne is no slouch at all.  He kind of sounds like a rough Lou Gramm.  

And finally, this album has a very nice atmosphere to it.  It seems to me like an album that would be one of those "the album remembers when" albums.  If you don't know what I mean by that, it's an album that immediately takes you back to a time in your life when you played it constantly.  That's the atmosphere I get from it.

Very nice post Jon.

Now you need to find that person that played it constantly 20 years ago. Twasn't me!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos