Classic Rock Bottom

Wiki-free (as usual) AND collusion-free!

In a move that took me completely by surprise, Rjhog's pick for April's anniversary AOTW was Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry", released 30 years ago. Surprised I was since my April anniversary l/F album pick was Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry", released 10 years ago. 

Funny how things work. The stars MUST be aligned or something as mystical or magical as that.

So, you're probably asking yourself, "What's the story behind 'Still Hungry'"? Well, let's take a look at allmusic for some factual information:

"Stay Hungry is to Twisted Sister what Metal Health is to Quiet Riot, Operation: Mindcrime is to Queensrÿche, and Appetite for Destruction is to Guns n' Roses -- it isn't their only worthwhile release, but it is widely regarded as their best and most essential. So when Twisted Sister decided to re-record one of their albums in 2004, the most logical choice was Stay Hungry -- and Still Hungry finds a reunited Twisted Sister revisiting that 1984 classic 20 years later. Of course, it's impossible to improve upon perfection, and some fans of Sister's '80s output will wonder if favorites like "We're Not Gonna Take It," "I Wanna Rock," and "Burn in Hell" really needed to be re-recorded. But here's the thing: according to guitarist Jay Jay French, Stay Hungry wasn't perfection -- at least not from a production standpoint. French had problems with the way Tom Werman produced Stay Hungry; Werman and Atlantic Records insisted on a glossier, lighter sort of production, while Dee Snider and his bandmates had envisioned a tougher, harder, heavier sound (and didn't get their way).

On Still Hungry, bassist Mark Mendoza's production does, in fact, give Stay Hungry's nine songs a dirtier, less glossy sound -- and these 2004 performances are undeniably inspired. Twenty years obviously haven't robbed Snider, French, or Mendoza of their enthusiasm for this material."

Now it's up to you to decide which is the better album: the original glossy production or the later heavier production? Personally, I like the heavier version, but that's just me. 

Still Hungry

1. Stay Hungry
2. We're Not Gonna Take It
3. Burn In Hell
4. Horror-Teria
    A. Captain Howdy
    B. Street Justice
7. I Wanna Rock
8. The Price
9. Don't Let Me Down
10. The Beast
11. S.M.F.

Availability: This release comes with 7 bonus tracks and runs around $11.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stay Hungry released 40 years ago?  Maybe you should start using Wiki....

It wasn't. It was released 30 years ago. Duh?

The "enhanced", "richer sounding", "heavier" listening experience still doesn't make the song writing better, or the riffs, or...  well you get the idea.

I tend to like re-records/remixes if done well an be real cool to listen to ... Deep Purple, Foreigner and Triumph did some great work on their remixes and I would even give KISS and Journey some kudos on their re-recordings.  But this doesn't improve on the original.  Maybe I've been tuned to hear the hit songs on here as they were and this kind of doesn't work on the intention of improving them.  Yes the production is better, yes the band sounds tighter, but there is where the problem may be, its not supposed to be tight.  It was rough and edgy and raw, and that worked (at least to get them two hits)

Still, I have to refer to the biggest issue - songwriting - You can dress it up as much as you like, it doesn't fix the core issue...  Sorry, cant get on board with you and RJ's gran schemes this week.  I'm sure you and him have the next few weeks ready to go and may be meeting to solidify future plans now.  Hopefully it doesn't include posting the same album. 

Hey look a new Tommy Bolin!!!  I gotta go....

Nothing really new, or worth adding, here.  Maybe the production is better, but the execution of the album isn't really any better.  I did notice a different, extended solo on We're Not Gonna Take It, maybe that was cool.  The best song, The Price, is not improved upon at all to me.  I think Snider's vocals were better on the original, but they aren't bad here.

So how do I feel about re-records?  I know you're dying to know.  I think they can be cool.  If they come free or as an added bonus in some other package that you are purchasing.  Re-records that come to mind for me:

Cheap Trick - In Color (Never released officially.  But it is on the bootleg circuit.)

Kiss - Jigoku Retsuden (Just listened to it the other day.  I purchased it because this is one band I would lay that money out there for, but it was later released as a bonus disc with the Walmart Monster package.  I guess I should've waited).

Journey - Also a bonus disc on the Walmart Revelation disc.

Foreigner - Bonus disc on last album.

Styx - They wanted money for theirs, no thanks.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos