Classic Rock Bottom

NOTE: As always, 100% collusion-free. All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted.

This week's pick is 1978's "Struck Down", the second album released by Yesterday And Today. After this album, Yesterday And Today was no more. Sometimes I wonder what happened to them, but that would take research and reading and that's something I don't want to do. Sounds like a waste of time. 

Here's part of the allmusic.com album review:

"Most noticeable of all, Struck Down is astoundingly heavy for its time, with high-energy cuts like the title track, "Road," and "Dreams of Egypt" packing loads of guts and swagger and evincing a bite which aptly captures the band's legendary live power onto vinyl. A few pedestrian moments, including the cheesy shuffle "Nasty Sadie," the rather one-dimensional "I'm Lost," and the psychedelic anachronism "Stargazer" keep this from being a fully satisfactory set, but they certainly could have done a lot worse."

Here's more from Martin Popoff's "The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal, Volume 1: The Seventies":

"...the precursor to Van Halen's cymbal-crashing chaos. 'Struck Down' leans heavier, more ambitious and darker, as evidenced on snaky Zep metal stunner Dreams Of Egypt and the drowning blisterblues of the distressing title track, both marked by eerie vocals. Torrid, oddly recorded (i.e. spontaneous and cavern-tested in the spirit of Van Halen - 'II' or Zep - 'Presence') and convincingly thumped, 'Struck Down' holds its place in the creases of metal history." 

This IS pretty heavy for '78. Makes me wonder what would have happened next if Yesterday And Today were still making music. I guess we can only dream.

For those wondering, the album was produced by Jimmy Robinson. I found that tidbit of info in the CD booklet. 

Also, Cherie Currie sang backup on "Tried To Show You". That info was also found in the CD booklet. 

Struck Down

1. Struck Down
2. Pleasure In My Heart
3. Road
4. Nasty Sadie
5. Dreams Of Egypt
6. Tried To Show You
7. I'm Lost
8. Stargazer

Availability: OOP, new runs around $30 which includes 11 bonus tracks!

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, nice tie in.  And without collusion.  You are one amazing individual Mr. Jon Stephenson.  

This album is quite good.  It might just find itself in RJhog's Top 5 LFAOTW selections at the end of 2014.

Worst song by far is Nasty Sadie.  The guitar playing is phenomenal.  And there are a lot of weird time signatures, which I seem to like.  I'm trying to decide what the best song here is, I'm guessing Dreams Of Egypt.  But that album opener is really good to.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a Y&T complete albums box, especially after hearing this.  Nice pick this week.

Not complete, but HERE'S a box set for their A&M albums.

I've given that some thought.  Not bad for essentially 5 studio albums, but I'm not a fan of multiple albums on one disc.  May still get it.

So now you and RJ are colluding to make it look like you and I are colluding, but in reality the original pair of colluders are still in collusion !!!

I KNEW IT!!!

All shenanigans aside (and you and RJ are up to something here)

A fine fine post!  And finally an album with less that 68 tracks!  But at 8 short tracks this feels like it could use one more!  C'mon Jon, find the right balance!

All the hallmarks of the band are here, killer riffs, great leads, thunderous drums, Meneketti's vocals are sharp, and that blues undertone... Pleasure In My Heart was spectacular, a perfect microcosm of everything I just mentioned - and at 4:44 its the longest track on here! 

Where can I buy this??????

Never heard this before. It does not sound dated to me, and that's a good thing. Pretty good production, I'd say.

Heck, I'm getting a kind of Beatles vibe from this intro on the final track. Very different for Y & T, and that's a good thing! And now it starts rocking. Pretty good listen.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos