Classic Rock Bottom

Due to tomorrow's holiday, I'm posting a day early. Still following the format with an anniversary album, this being the first full weekend of the month and this week's pick is the 1979 album from Nick Gilder, "Frequency".

This is the followup to the mega-selling "City Nights" which was released a year earlier and featured the #1 hit "Hot Child In The City". If that's all you know of Nick, you might be in for a surprise because his music is actually glam rock and very close to hard rock.

NOTE: Still 100% collusion-free. All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first time Nick Gilder has been featured on this site. Any differing opinions are wrong, no matter what "facts" they might come up with. 

Following is the biography of Nick Gilder, courtesy of allmusic.com:

"Nick Gilder began playing with Vancouver-based Sweeney Todd. The band split in 1977 after two albums (Sweeney Todd and If Wishes Were Horses) when he and bandmate Jimmy McCullouch moved to Los Angeles. That same year, Gilder began a solo career, signing to Chrysalis and releasing You Know Who You Are. His second album, City Nights, produced the platinum number one single "Hot Child in the City" in 1978. Though Gilder released several other albums (including 1979's Frequency and 1981's Body Talk Muzak), he never approached his earlier success."

Now we need the album review from allmusic.com:

"Of course the cold fact is Frequency didn't house a number one smash like "Hot Child in the City," but Gilder's third solo gem remains an exquisite piece of work dropped by a pop maestro living on a separate nitrous oxide plane of perfection. Helium vocals intact, the minstrel gigolo debates the future ("Into the 80's"), sex in the future ("Electric Love"), and just plain sex ("Worlds Collide"). Frequency deserved to brighten radio dials well into the 80s and beyond. If by chance the discerning among you come across this pleasure unit, do yourself a favor and pick up a lost treasure that'll drive you wild, wild, wild!"

I like this album. Sure, it sounds like something from the 70's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Now, for the first time on this site, you too can experience some Nick Gilder! All thanks to me!!!

Oh, and look at that. Only nine tracks! That's perfect for the folks that whine about albums with more than nine tracks because ten is waaaaaaaaaay too many. 

Frequency

1. (You Really) Rock Me
2. Time After Time
3. Metro Jets
4. Electric Love
5. The Brightest Star
6. Watcher Of The Night
7. Worlds Collide
8. Hold On Me Tonight
9. Into The 80's

Availability: The only way to get this on CD is the "City Nights"/"Frequency" two-fer which runs around $15.

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most definitely a period piece, this is full of New Wave influences and Cars-like keyboard work.  But its also full of great riff work and melodic ooey-gooey goodness.

Outside of a few track from his previous release, this is the most Nick Gilder I've ever heard.  And I like it...  Gonna revisit this because it wasn't a 100% all songs work type of experience, but I think with a listen or two, it might turn into that...

Nice post Jon!!  9 songs is an awesome album length!!!

We should be to reply to the commentary on the main page beneath the AOTW and LFAOTW photos.  That way I could say that you are wrong regarding the incorrect fact that you have accomplished absolutely nothing.  You have used the last 30 years to perfect your ability to bull shit.

I don't get it.

You know how sometimes an album or artist comes out of left field and shocks you?  Well, this did neither of those things. It never got going past background music for me.

(You Really) Rock Me is a decent enough start.  I actually get a bit of a Queen vibe for some reason, not sure why.

Time After Time was also okay.

Metro Jets sounded like an obvious attempt at a single to me.  I didn't care for it.

Everything from that song until Hold On Me Tonight just blended in the background.

Hold On Me Tonight made me think of a vocal combination of Geddy Lee and Dennis DeYoung, particularly during the verses.  This song was okay.

Don't really care for the closer either, but I do like that he is contemplating what the 80's will be like.

So, a no go for me, but thanks for posting.

This is a little better than I expected...but, ummm...it's not for me. Too poppy, and quite frankly, I dont like his voice that much. He actually sounds like a female at times.

I do admire how some of you guys have such a "varied taste"...way more than I do. And that is a good thing. I am definitely "more varied" in my taste these days...heck "Little Piece of Dixie" by Blackberry Smoke is one of my favorite CD's. It's country that rocks, and I dig it. The best Beatles music for me was always the two minute long pop/love songs of the early Beatles era.

But most of all, I look for music that I like so much, that it gives me a natural boost of energy. I feed off that, I dig it, I need it, I love that rock n roll rush!! This does not provide that for me. Which does not mean it's not good...it's just not for me.

So, even though I heard it just a few days ago, I'm off to listen to "Tooth And Nail", and then "Cage The Gods" again....at least I'm thinking that is their name. I needs me a late afternoon rock n roll energy shot...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos