Classic Rock Bottom

From 2010 we bring you "Valhalla" from Stray, a band that released their first album in 1970. Some of you might be thinking that's a tie-in to last week's SHT list from Scott, but I can assure you his lists have no bearing on what I post. I figured you never heard this album and possibly never heard of this band, hence this post. 

NOTE: 100% collusion-free!!!!!. All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted. Respond with funny pictures. I, unlike a certain someone, don't care! Also rest easy knowing that my players work correctly (unlike others) for two months, then they are sent to the dead player bin (awwwwww). 

First up is a brief history of Stray, courtesy of allmusic.com:

"London, England's Stray yielded a prolific career yet managed to elude the fame enjoyed by contemporaries like Cream, Thin Lizzy, or even Mountain. Formed in 1966, the hard rock, prog, and R&B outfit comprised of vocalist/guitarist Del Bromham, vocalist/guitarist Steve Gadd, bass player Gary Giles, and drummer Ritchie Cole signed to Transatlantic Records and released its debut, self-titled album in 1970. The group flirted with success throughout the '70s, releasing nine more records and even recruiting Charlie Kray -- the brother of the notorious Kray twins -- as their manager. In 1975, just prior to the release of Houdini, Gadd was replaced by Peter Dyer, who injected some much-needed life into the band, though the end was near for the financially strapped rockers. They released their last record, the ambitious Hearts of Fire, in 1976 on the Pye label, and proceeded to splinter off into various solo projects. Bromham re-formed the group in 1997 as a three-piece with newcomers Dusty Miller and Phil McKee, renaming the band Del Bromham's Stray, and released a live record called Alive and Giggin' on Mystic Records. In 2003, Castle put out the sprawling 35-track Anthology: 1970-1977. The majority of Stray's back catalog remains out of print."

I've been having fun by posting a review of the album, again courtesy of allmusic.com, so why stop now?

"It is rare indeed that a re-formed band should be acclaimed as cutting its best-ever album, especially when that band is one as storied and steeped in legend as Stray. Seemingly eternal denizens of the British hard rock circuit during the early- to mid-'70s, and one of those bands whom everyone at one point tipped for the top but who somehow contrived to never quite reach it, Stray were, quite simply, so ubiquitous that, even when they split up, it felt as though they were still out there someplace. And when they returned, it was as if they had never been away. That is certainly the case with Valhalla, a dozen-song set that showcases everything that was immortal about this band in the first place: the harmonies that soared out of somewhere so left-field that they amazed as much on the umpteenth play as they did on the first; the bludgeoning riffs and the soar-away melodies; the knowledge that, if Stray had only enjoyed the right breaks.... Valhalla is a fantasy fulfilled, a confirmation of all that we once held dear, and a compulsive reminder of all that we still ought to. "Move a Mountain," "Harry Farr," "Ghostwriter" -- every song here is a Stray classic in the making, and so one more voice adds itself to the chorus. If this isn't Stray's best album ever -- well, it's certainly as good as whatever else was."

I stumbled across this album while searching ebreggae.com, they send me a coupon for $40 off a $100 order and of course I have to use it. I had heard of Stray before but never listened to their music (as far as I can remember). Listened to snippets of the songs from this album, liked what I heard and went ahead and bought this album. Well worth the purchase (or was it free since I used the coupon). Lots and lots of geetar™ (or geeetar®) for those that like that. Only thing left was checking out their 70's output and that was kind of taken care of with the purchase of "Time Machine: Anthology 1970-1977".    

Whip out that air geetar™ (or geeetar®), folks. You'll want it for "Free At Last" at the VERY least.

Valhalla

1. Move A Mountain
2. Dirt Finger
3. 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
4. Free At Last
5. Harry Farr
6. Skin
7. Double Six
8. Ghostwriter
9. Sing (The Song)
10. Rainy Day Blues
11. 24/7
12. You

Availability: New copy will run you around $15.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)