Classic Rock Bottom

There really WAS a plan.

Last week's post worked out perfectly. It was a 40th anniversary post with "Pure Music", the third album from Chase. I was curious what the feedback would be considering it was more of a jazz fusion album, with only a couple songs containing vocals. Let's see what my (two) regular listeners would think of that album and then the next week post something a bit different, something with more vocals. That was my thinking.

Well, seems that they did like it. Not overwhelmingly positive, but they're not classy folks. Even if they hated it, I still would have posted this week's pick, Chase's self-titled album that was released in 1971 (or more Raven, if Scott pissed me off). More singing, less instrumentals this time around. 

NOTE: 100% collusion free, unlike others! All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted.  Don't Scott this album (like he has done again, which only takes up space and one day I might not be able to bring you another fine L/F album pick.)

A review from allmusic.com:

"Chase's self-titled LP was as close to unabashed critical success as the group ever got, coming out just as Chicago and Blood, Sweat, & Tears were both at their respective peaks of popularity. There's not much here that sounds like either band -- Chase had a leaner, livelier sound, with an especially frantic rhythm section. The music is heavily white soul-influenced, dressed up in strong contrapuntal figures, soaring riffs, and riveting climaxes, which may come just a little too often given the relatively modest length of the album. The record is chock-full of enjoyable moments and one unabashed hit ("Get It On"), and loaded with virtuoso playing. Lead singer Terry Richards and backing vocalists Ted Piercefield and Jerry Van Blair (who also play trumpets) are strong but not overbearing singers, and a good balance is struck between the vocalists and the band, which was a problem that Blood, Sweat, & Tears never did solve -- the result is a record that's sort of a rock-influenced descendant of Stan Kenton's more experimental work of the late '40s and early '50s, which slotted in well with the progressive side of jazz-rock in 1971. "Invitation to a River," at 14 minutes and divided into five parts, may seem like the height of pretentiousness, but in 1971 audiences devoured it, and the playing, including what sound like 16th notes on the trumpets, is something to marvel at in a popular context."

Doesn't it appear that Chicago stole the idea for their "Hot Streets" album cover from this one?

Chase

1. Open Up Wide
2. Livin' In Heat
3. Hello Groceries
4. Handbags And Gladrags
5. Get It On
6. Boys And Girls Together
7. Invitation To A River:
    a) Two Minds Meet
    b) Stay
    c) Paint It Sad
    d) Reflections
    e) River

Availability: BGO has a three-fer featuring this album as well as "Chase" and "Ennea". Price runs around $16.You can also get this album as a standalone for around $13.

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You be the judge...

Yep, looks like it to me.

Wow!  I've just gotta say wow!  This is really good.  Better than the first one, which wasn't bad itself.  It's so steeped in that early 70's or even late 60's sound that it's just easy to listen to.  

You get a taste of Tom Jones (Handbags & Gladrags), more 70's TV theme music (Get It On) and just an overall groovy feel.

One of your best posts!

Open Wide...  Whales would really love the opening to this one, it would speak to them I'm sure... Very jazzy, almost like advanced band-camp material, except without the flute.  Keyboard work is still very impressive, yet dated.

Livin' In Heat, not sure this one worked for me.  A little too much soul mixed with big band and jazz.  I like the vocalist on the Groceries tune, sounds like Terry Kath.  But the lyrics are too silly - Your USDA?  Your on my list? but...  I love the musicianship.  Cool keyboard work seems to be the best of this one

Handbags and Gladrags.  I've only ever known the Rod Stewart version of this.  But interestingly enough, it was written by the leaf vocalist of Manfred Mann.  This version is ok but I've been biased to Stewarts...

I prefer the other album you posted, it seems a bit more modern and more rock flavored.  This one is just too strange of a mix between  Herb Alpert/Tom Jones/Chicago/Sly and the Family Stone - strange bedfellows... but,

I bet Johnny Carson played this album a lot. 

Ok, I must be on the wrong site. I thought this was a rock n roll site. Into the 3rd song, but I'm going back to find something worth hearing. Glad you guys like it, but it ain't for me. Nex up....

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos