Classic Rock Bottom

This isn't the first album from The Cross that's been featured as a L/F album. Way back in 2009 their second album, "Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know", was posted on a site that shall not be named and was album #2 in the long-running L/F series. How about that?

NOTE: 100% collusion and anniversary free! Some people have problems with reading and understanding what they have read so now they look pretty silly posting an anniversary album on the wrong weekend. What can you do other than shake your head in pity? Oh, all facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted, but you knew that already.

This week's pick is 1991's hard-to-find "Blue Rock" from The Cross which features Roger Taylor (Queen) on lead vocals. 

Now for the band history, courtesy of allmusic.com:

"The late-'80s side project of Queen's drummer Roger Taylor, the Cross were originally a classic rock band with dance influences, then abandoned the dance aspect of their sound and produced two straight forward rock albums. Although Taylor stated when the band formed in 1987, that the group would be a force to be reckoned with within six months, the group never took off in any market, except Germany, and broke up in 1993. With the conclusion of Queen's Magic Tour in 1986, Roger Taylor took the opportunity of a lack of activity on the Queen front to form his own band, which he named the Cross. Leaving his drum kit behind, Taylor assumed the duties of rhythm guitarist and lead vocalist for the group. Outside of recruiting Queen's tour keyboardist, Spike Edney, the rest of Taylor's new band were found through an ad placed in the music press. They were a group of unknowns, consisting of Clayton Moss (guitar), Peter Noone (bass guitar), and Josh Macrae (drums). With a group of songs already written, Taylor decided to record the first Cross album, Shove It, largely by himself and then tour with his new band. A hybrid of classic rock and dance influences, the album received some praise in the British music press but failed to get higher than the bottom of the album charts, as did it's three singles. In America, the album failed to chart and the group would not release another album there. The band resumed operations after the next Queen album with Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know, which was written by all the members in the band and embraced a classic rock sound. The lead single, "Power to Love," only dented the bottom of the British charts, while the album failed to chart at all. However, the band did continue to do well in Germany, and, with no record support in England, released their third album, Blue Rock, in that country only. After a final gig in 1993, the band called it a day. Taylor went on to record solo albums and work with Queen, while Edney later helped found the S. A. S. Band, and Peter Noone joined Miss World."

Of course we can't forget the review, also courtesy of allmusic.com:

"With Blue Rock, the Cross expanded their sound from the retro '70s rock of Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know with a greater emphasis on production and synthesizers. That is not to say there are no rockers on the album. In fact, "Dirty Mind" and "Millionaire" are among their best. But songs like "New Dark Ages," "The Also Rans," and the haunting "Hand of Fools" are dominated by heavy keyboards and shimmering production. The album is also far darker than anything the band had done before, at turns reveling in sleaziness such as on the remarkable opener, "Bad Attitude," or commenting drearily on modern life in "New Dark Ages" and "Hand of Fools." The brighter side of the album is less remarkable. Songs like "Ain't Put Nothin' Down" and "Baby It's Alright" come across as more formulaic while "Put It All Down to Love" succumbs to poor lyrics. However, the album's closer, "Life Changes," is a truly life-affirming number that ranks up there with the band's better work. However, without a U.K. record deal, the best Cross album would also be their last."

It took many years to find this album at a reasonable price. it was never released in the States or even England for that matter. Now that I have it, I guess there's nothing else I need to hunt down.

I think.

Blue Rock

1. Bad Attitude
2. New Dark Ages
3. Dirty Mind
4. Baby It's Alright
5. Ain't Put Nothin' Down
6. The Also Rans
7. Millionaire
8. Put It All Down To Love
9. Hand Of Fools
10. Life Changes

Availability: OOP, prices start at around $35.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Much better than I remember the other listening experience to be.  I really dug the first four tracks, especially New Dark Ages, how was that not a radio hit?  But the album falls off for the next 2 tracks.  You didn't warn us about the use of a bad word in The Also Rans...  bad Jon!  But the tune was nice... and Millionaire also kept up the goodness.

Put It All Down to Love was an eh experience, don't care for that style of song, but cant question the musicianship - solid work!  And the last two track close this out very nicely, in fact very nicely...

Surprised that there's no collusion this week, seems like you both hit on all cylinders when your fighting with each other...  Here's to a continued broken relationship!!!  We all benefit it seems....

Nice work!

New Dark Ages was released as a single........

.........in Germany. 

Well, the first two songs are pretty decent.  Vocalist sounds like Rod Stewart, or maybe Roger Taylor.  Oh, I just realized that's who it is.  Oh well, neither of those would be a bad thing.   But that third track is silly.  And not that good.  Except for the guitar solo.  

Baby It's Alright is a pretty good jam.  I like it.  Next track is forgettable...and so on...and so on.  Really, the guitar playing is pretty dang good in places, as are the vocals.  But the songs are just okay to me.  Not a bad listen at all, but nothin' I need to hear again.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos