Classic Rock Bottom

So here we go, an album from an artist you may have heard of, maybe a song or two. Maybe you heard it here on this site since there's been a song or two featured. This time you get to hear a complete album from Steve Forbert (for a limited time, of course).

I recall his second album, "Jackrabbit Slim", which got a fair bit of airplay, especially two songs. At least that's the way it was on the east coast, way back in the late, late 70's/early, early 80's. You might know what those two songs were or you may not, but that doesn't matter because this week's post is his first album, "Alive On Arrival", which was released in 1978.

(NOTE: 100% collusion free! No mention of a band that seems to be all the rage recently for some silly and stupid reason. All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted.)

Yet again, a biography courtesy allmusic.com:

"Anointed "the new Dylan" upon his recording debut, folk-rock singer/songwriter Steve Forbert was born in Meridian, MS, in 1954. After learning guitar at age 11, he spent his high school years playing in a variety of local bands before quitting his job as a truck driver and moving to New York City at the age of 21. There, he performed for spare change in Grand Central Station before working his way up to the Manhattan club circuit. After signing to Nemperor, Forbert debuted in 1978 with Alive on Arrival, which earned critical acclaim for its taut, poetic lyrics. The follow-up, 1979's Jackrabbit Slim, was his most successful outing, reaching the Top 20 on the strength of the hit single "Romeo's Tune" (allegedly inspired by the late Supreme Florence Ballard). However, both 1980's Little Stevie Orbit and a self-titled 1982 effort fared poorly, and Forbert was dropped by his label. He spent much of the decade in Nashville, where he continued honing his songwriting skills and performed regularly throughout the South. In 1988, he signed to Geffen, where the E Street Band's Garry Tallent produced his comeback album, Streets of This Town. Pete Anderson took over the production reins for 1992's The American in Me, but Forbert's continued lack of chart success prompted the label to cut him loose. A deal with the Warner Bros.-affiliated Giant label resulted in two more studio albums, 1995's Mission of the Crossroad Palms and 1996's Rocking Horse Head, but in 1998 Forbert moved into independent territory for his next album, the rollicking live set Here's Your Pizza. Forbert signed with Koch Records for his next studio disc, 2000's Evergreen Boy, where he also released Any Old Time (a tribute to country music legend Jimmie Rodgers) in 2002 and Just Like There's Nothin' to It (a collection of new songs) in 2004. During this period, Forbert also released two compilations of rare and unreleased material, Young, Guitar Days and More Young, Guitar Days, as well as several live recordings. On Stage at World Cafe Live appeared in 2007 from Decca Vision as well as a new studio set, Strange Names and New Sensations, from 429 Records that same year. The Place and the Time arrived in 2009. The Chris Goldsmith-produced Over with You, a sparse song cycle that shows Forbert's fine songwriting skills, appeared in 2012."

Followed (as usual) by the allmusic.com album review:

"Steve Forbert's youthful features and boyish voice certainly become misleading once his lyrics are heard. His folk-rock styled songs are usually centered around life's ups and downs and the problems of adulthood, portraying him as an artist who's just trying to get by. Alive on Arrival is an album full of earnest tunes about loneliness, self-worth, aspirations, and disappointments. Forbert's wispy, innocent sounding voice floats gently (and cuts roughly) over his acoustic guitar to homespun ditties with a down-to-earth feel. This album represents Forbert's music perfectly, and even though his latter albums sound less subtle, it is Alive on Arrival that so aptly personifies him. "Going Down to Laurel" has his voice aching about the dirtiness of the city and the beauty of his true love, and "Steve Forbert's Midsummer Night's Toast" is an interesting musical jaunt through the bittersweet world of growing up. Forbert really comes to life on "What Kinda Guy?," humorously explaining what a simplified, easygoing chap he is. The kick-back aura of Alive on Arrival puts the emphasis on the down and out Forbert while feelings of sentiment and adolescence slowly emerge with each passing song. This album makes for a great late-night listen."

Way back then, I kind of liked the songs that I heard on the radio, but not enough to REALLY like them. As I got older (and supposedly wiser), I liked the songs better, so much so that I finally decided to buy a couple albums. You know what? They're actually quite good. 

Now I can see why a friend of my sister was infatuated with Steve Forbert, and still is to this day as far as I know.

Alive On Arrival

1. Goin' Down To Laurel
2. Steve Forbert's Midsummer Night's Toast
3. Thinkin'
4. What Kinda Guy?
5. It Isn't Gonna Be That Way
6. Big City Cat
7. Grand Central Station, March 18, 1977
8. Tonight I Feel So Far Away From Home
9. Settle Down
10. You Cannot Win If You Do Not Play

Availability: The remastered set with this album as well as "Jackrabbit Slim" along with a bunch of bonus tracks is available for around $14. Very worthy purchase.

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If memory serves me correctly - and it usually does - the first two tracks off this album have been featured in SHT lists to much acclaim and praise.  So ya..  yeah me!!!

So onto track 3...

Thinkin' and What Kind of Guy?', in my mind anyway, are very Dylan-esque but more fun.  If that makes sense.  It isn't gonna be that way is similar but add the band back in.

Big City Cat has a bit of that late 70's bass and rhythm its a real cool fun tune.

Grand Central Station, March 18, 1977 is a bit melancholy but I like it as well.  His music is good and his lyrics are as interesting if not more.  Storyteller of sorts.

THe next two tracks, while not forgettable, are nice but nothing like the first 7 ...  As the closer he chose to go with the most upbeat track on here, its another fun tune.

For me nothing beats Steve Forbert's Midsummer Night's Toast such a cool song!  But the whole album is really smart, witty, fun, and full of great tunes.

Nice work Jon!!!

I thought you posted "Romeo's Delight"? I could be wrong since I never pay attention to what you post.

This was an okay listen.  I do like the Singer Songwriter genre.  For this album, I think all of the songs, except for What Kinda Guy?, were pretty good.  But the big drawback for me is Forbert's vocal delivery.  No his voice necessarily.  That's okay, just his delivery.  Yep, that's nitpicking, but hey, that's what we do sometimes.

For me, the best two songs here were Steve Forbert's Midsummer Night's Toast and Tonight I Feel So Far Away From Home.  Maybe all of his other songs about "night" are good too.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos