Classic Rock Bottom

I saw "Westworld" in the early 70's, and it gave me nightmares. Getting chased by a robotic Yul Brynner is not a pleasant experience when you're a wee lad. I also had nightmares over "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airport 1975", especially around the part where the co-pilot was sucked out the window. 

Those nightmares continued into the early 80's until Friday The 13th: Part 2" finally broke me of that habit. After waking up from a nightmare revolving around a machete to the face, It dawned on me that these were just movies. Problem solved, no more nightmares (unless you're talking about those two girls in "The Shining").

That's bring us to this week's pick, "Movers & Shakers", the 1991 release from Westworld. Probably not too well-known in the States, but they did have a #11 hit in the U.K., "Sonic Boom Boy", from their first album.

So, what should you expect when listening to this album? Maybe this blurb from amazon.com will help:

"The band's sound was a mix of modern machines and beats with rock 'n' roll and glam guitar riffs. The band's look was firmly styled on a modern twist of the 1950's rock 'n' roll and comic book art."

I forget why I picked up this album and the debut. It could have been because of "Sonic Boom Boy" because it is so different. Kind of punk, kind of dance, kind of electronic but with a bunch of geetar. It also helps that that song is catchy, and there's a bunch of catchy songs on those two albums.

Now for a short biography from allmusic.com so you're in the know:

"Led by the other one from Generation X (not Billy Idol or Tony James, but guitarist Bob "Derwood" Andrews), Westworld also included American vocalist Elizabeth Westwood and drummer Nick Burton. Named after the 1973 Disneyland disaster film, the trio applied pop sensibilities to the punk and post-punk forms Andrews had been immersed in, and hit number 11 on the British charts with their 1987 single "Sonic Boom Boy." The group's only subsequent Top 40 success was "Ba-Na-Na-Bam-Boo," later that year, another single from the Westworld debut album Rockulator. Second album Beat Box Rock 'N' Roll followed in 1988, but 1991's Movers & Shakers was the trio's last."

Will this appeal to everyone? Probably not, but I'm not here to please everyone (especially Scott Gabbert).

When I first listened to this album, it really didn't pick up until "Time Machine Pop Gun" but after a few more listens I find myself discovering more goodness, like the slide geetar on "Panic Button". 

Enjoy!

Movers & Shakers

1. 10,000 Miles
2. Good Love
3. Do No Wrong
4. Stargazer
5. Bright Young Things
6. Time Machine Pop Gun
7. Lipsyncher
8. Last White Buffalo
9. Carefree Custom Eyes
10. Cheap and Nasty Pt. II
11. Panic Button
12. Wind Song
13. Once You Got It
14. So Long Cowboy

Availability: $4 used, $13 new.

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That same part of the Airport movie scared the crap out of me.

The Exorcist and Helter Skelter were the only movies that gave me nightmares...  I do remember walking home from seeing the first Friday the 13th and we had to walk up a hill and through the woods...  Pretty sure we ran the entire way ...  But I think we even slept outside that night.  Those were the days!

The Exorcist never really scared me, but I did watch it a couple years ago when Connie was away one weekend and it did make me feel oogie when I turned off all the lights and was getting ready for bed. But, I slept peacefully.

I could swear that there was a mummy underwater in The Poseidon Adventure, and that's what gave me nightmares. But, there is no mummy.

I begged to go see The Shining when it came out, but my parents were quite wise by then. I couldn't see the movie or read the book. But, I did watch it at a friend's house when it came on cable and did read the book, but kept it hidden. Smart move on their part.

The cover "Art" would lead one to think this is more Disney-esque than something you would find in Jon's vast collection.  Somewhere in Jon's music room there is a vault of Lost/Forgotten music.  This one may have been lost in that vault and turned up after a thorough inspection.

I would have to agree with you that the first 5 tunes aren't really anything to write home about, or even remember once they've been played.  But neither is Time Machine Pop Gun, except for the fact that the geetar work is more prevalent, not special but more listenable.  By the way, seems like they were onto something with Time Machine Pop Gun idea, but the thought wouldn't ever get fully realized until the Hot Tub came into the mix.  As Maxwell Smart used to say .. "missed it by that much!"

Lipsyncher is notable only for its realistic reflection of modern pop music.

By the way, its been a long while since I've fussed about albums being more that 10-12 tracks in length.  Some greater than 12 track CD's work- most don't!  This one fizzles early and often which only maximizes the pain involved with listening to greater than 12 tracks CD's.

I will give you credit for really staying true to the forums intent.  But some CD's should stay Lost and Forgotten.  This is one of them...

Oh ya...  Thanks for moving away from Titanic and Celtic Woman music...

Track one is quite forgettable.  But the second song (Good Love) is kind of catchy.  With a really cool little guitar solo.  Nice track.  Do No Wrong has a bit of the Danger Zone (from Top Gun) riff.  I'm not feeling Stargazer at all.  Quite boring.

The intro to  Bright Young Things sounds like an intro to a song I've heard before, I'm thinking it's a Matchbox Twenty song. Again, it's kind of boring.  Until it gets to the tempo change.  I like that.  Cool little guitar solo that seems to draw a bit from a song from Ace Frehley's 1978 solo album.  

And this just goes on and on.  Nothing, other than some fairly cool guitar work, to note.  This one can stay lost if it's up to me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos