Classic Rock Bottom

As we continue with our latest series of albums that share something in common, we find ourselves going back 25 years with this week's pick, "Eroica" from Wendy & Lisa.

Both were members of The Revolution but Lisa Coleman (keyboards) had been in Prince's band since 1979 with Wendy Melvoin (geetar) joining in 1984. 

The first time I remember really seeing Wendy was in the video for "Raspberry Beret" and I was immediately smitten. Then came the video for "Kiss" a year or so later, and I was even more smitten. Of course I remember Lisa from the "1999" video (who doesn't?), but I was a Wendy guy.

The first Wendy & Lisa album was released in 1987 and featured the wonderful "Waterfall". Along with the rest of the album, their debut showed that they were incredible musicians and song writers. However, the album did not chart in the US but it did reach #84 in the UK. "Waterfall" did reach #56 on the US charts and the video did get some MTV airplay.

"Eroica", their third album, reached #33 in the UK.  This would be the last Wendy & Lisa album, until 1998 when they released and album under the "Girl Bros." name. 

They have also composed theme music for TV shows, including "Nurse Jackie" and "Heroes", as well as numerous films.

Now for the allmusic.com review for this week's pick:

"After the disappointing Fruit at the Bottom, Wendy & Lisa hit a peak with their third album, Eroica. Containing some of the best music of their careers, it also is a perfect synthesis of the dance club beats of Fruit and the well-developed songwriting of their debut. "Staring at the Sun" and "Mother of Pearl" show compositional and arranging complexity that is positively breathtaking. What's more, the musicianship is at a peak, containing some of the best playing the duo has ever done, including a fiery Wendy Melvoin guitar solo in "Turn Me Inside Out." Lyrically, there is more depth as well. "Mother of Pearl," about broken relationships, and "Valley Vista," about a bittersweet childhood memory, have a far darker edge than the lighter material of Fruit. Even the love songs have more of a bite as well. Eroica is a perfect introduction to Wendy & Lisa's formidable talents."

Eroica

1. Rainbow Lake
2. Strung Out
3. Mother Of Pearl
4. Don't Try To Tell Me
5. Crack In The Pavement
6. Porch Swing
7. Why Wait For Heaven
8. Turn Me Inside Out
9. Skeleton Key
10. Valley Vista
11. Staring At The Sun

Availability: Used starting around $6.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll go with the geetarist...  she was smoking hot in that Raspberry Beret video!

eenie meenie miny mo....

The one on the right is Lisa Coleman, I can't find a gif for Wendy. That's a bummer.

Well, I guess there's ONE:

First question, are we supposed to be guessing the theme that you have been developing or are we supposed to assume that the theme is female vocalists?

Second, the album:

• Rainbow Lake is a bit funky.  Nice drumming from one of the all-time greats...Drumma Sheen.
  • Strung Out is pure pop, not grabbing me at all.
  • Mother of Pearl, on the other hand, is a cool song with a cool title.
  • Don't Try To Tell Me makes two ballads in a row. The previous track was good, this one not so much.
  • Crack In The Pavement is a bit more funky, which I like.  There is a bit of vocal distortion in parts and I like the foundation of the acoustic guitar.
  • Porch Swing brings to the realization that all of these songs are extremely laid back.
  • Why Wait For Heaven has a real rock sound at the beginning.  I like this one.
  • And I'm tired of writing so I'll just say this wasn't a bad listen but nothing that I would need to hear again.

Yes. Thought someone would have figured it out long before this.

I didn't realize until this week we were being tested.

I knew it!!

I was wondering what this female vocalist thing was that you've been posting.

Kind of like some of what you posted, except the those Titanic singing Celtic Women.
Now onto this tantalizing twosome
Eroica?  I'm guessing its a play on Erotica?
Whatever it is, these two are smoking hot!

I like the quirkiness of the opener
Track 2 definitely has that Raspberry Beret era feel to it. 

as for the rest of the album?  Not really purchase material, but its kind of what you might think it should be.  Mid to low tempo love songs with some serious funk experimentation going on (crack in the pavement?).  Kind of wish it would break out and jam more.  e.g.  Porch Swing is really nice but it felt like it needed to take off and jam - kind of like Skeleton Key felt - that funky geetar was awesome but the backbeat didn't do it any justice!

Nice post and nice running theme!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos