Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection, the eighth in the series, is the fourth album from Quarterflash, "Girl In The Wind", which was released in 1991.

Is this the last album in the series? Nobody knows!

What's interesting about this album is that it was not released in the States. If you lived in Europe or Japan, it was a different story.

I'm sure most everybody is aware of their 1981 debut which spawned two top 20 singles, "Harden My Heart" and "Find Another Fool". There was also Rindy Ross who sang lead and also played sax. There were a lot of guys that liked Rindy Ross, probably because she played sax. 

The followup, "Take Another Picture", was released in 1984 and included another top 20 single, "Take Me To Heart". The album peaked at #34 on the charts which might have been disappointing considering the debut reached #8. 

Their third album, "Back Into Blue", was released in 1985 and reached #150 on the album charts. This was a synth-heavy album which might have fit in with the times, but probably turned off a majority of the fans. 

Geffen Records dropped the band after this album and Quarterflash disbanded, only to reform in 1990 with new members. A year later, Epic released "Girl In The Wind" to a few select countries.  

In 2013 Quarterflash released a new album, "Love Is A Road". Marv and Rindy Ross have also continued to perform throughout the years.  

Girl In The Wind

1. Something More
2. Where I Stand
3. Girl In The Wind
4. Is It Any Wonder
5. Diamond In The Rough
6. One Less Lie
7. Love As A Last Resort
8. Without You
9. Paint It Blue
10. Let Somebody Love You

Availability: Starting around $75 used. The import version includes three bonus tracks (not included here). 

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember Quarterflash just a bit before they got big because I have family in the Oregon/Washington are where they played who turned us on to them.  I own their debut on vinyl but that's it.  Its probably still pristine in its sleeve to this day as it never got much play.

Two questions...  How is it you get your hands on such an album?

Harden My Heart was a such huge hit, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing it. I have to wonder if all the attention and distraction really stunted them because they're follow-up wasn't very good at all and that was last I heard of them... until now. 

The opener was a very nice tune, very soft-rock and melodic.  I think I know where this is going.  She plays mean sax, reminds me of something but I cant quite remember, its on the tip of my tongue though!  And so as predicted the albums plays on to a very nice soft rock pace.  Very well written and very well played.  My wife may like this more than me though, as the music isn't holding my interest.  Much like their debut without the obvious hit song...

She is very strong vocally though, I love her tone and control.  So much better than most female leads.

Nice post sir

That's one question.

I hunt stuff down and have a tendency to stumble upon what I'm looking for. It's a gift, I suppose?

The followup album is pretty good, but hard to get (for some).

This starts off quite good, especially the first two tracks. But at track three it gets a bit "poppy" for me. And that continues on the next track, which is a ballad.

When we get to One Less Lie it picks back up nicely. I totally dig that intro. The album continues on well from there until it gets to the last song. That one makes me cringe a bit.

Overall I'd say this is a fair listen. The vocalist sounds great.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos