Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection is another one of those albums I had way back when but lost or misplaced during a move. Someone will say "Well then, it really IS a lost album, isn't it?" and I'll just ignore them.That's just the way it is.

When this album came out in 1983, I couldn't stand The Doobie Brothers. The songs I heard were really mellow, plus they featured Michael McDonald who I couldn't (and still can't) stand. I'm sure that I heard other Doobie Brothers songs, the ones that rocked, but it was the mellow, Michael Mcdonald-led songs that really stuck and festered in my craw. 

The first song I remember hearing from this album was "Out In The Streets" and I was impressed that a Doobie could actually rock out. Just remember, I was still a bit of a youth and had never really listened to early Doobs.

The second track I remember was "So Wrong" which was quite a catchy song, and still is today. Other folks must have thought it was catchy as well since it was a top 40 hit. 

I must have stuck with those two songs way back then, because I did not remember any of the other songs when I finally had the pleasure of finding this on CD recently. There are a few rockers on the album, along with R&B and jazz. I guess it's kinda like a Doobie Brothers album.

The album "features musical assistance from Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter, Huey Lewis & The News, Jude Cole, John Elefante, Victor Feldman, Andy Fraser, Nicky Hopkins, Tom Johnston, Michael McDonald, David Pack, John McFee, Leland Sklar, Willie Weeks, the Tower Of Power Horns and others."* 

"Arcade" was released in 1983 and reached #52 on the charts. The production is definitely from the 80's, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. 

Arcade

1. Out On The Streets
2. So Wrong
3. Don't Make Me Do It
4. Why You Givin' Up
5. Too Long
6. Knocking At Your Door
7. If You Want A Little Love
8. Have You Seen Her?
9. Sue Sad
10. Dream About Me

Availability: Wounded Bird released this in 2007, but it quickly went OOP. A used copy can be found for around $135. In 2014, the Lost 80's label out of Australia released this and included two bonus tracks, the extended and instrumental versions of "So Wrong". This version can be found for around $40 and is the version featured in this week's post (minus the bonus tracks). 

*from amazon.com

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a pretty good album, will comment further tonight.

I like the Doobies, but I can't say I know all that much about them.  It seems like Simmons might be the one whose vocals I'm not that big a fan of, but we'll see.

So I'm gonna use my new scoring system again to rate this Lost/Forgotten Album Of The Week.

1. Out On The Streets - This is great, love the hook and the vocals.  I hear some of the melody from Jesus Is Just Alright.  +1

2. So Wrong - This is so 80's that I love it.  I think I've heard it before.  Mc'Donald sounds great (as usual) on backing vocals. +1

3. Don't Make Me Do It - Filler, except for the smoking guitar solo.  +0.5 (simply for the guitar solo)

4. Why You Givin' Up - The laid back feel of this is terrific.  Again, McDonald sounds great. +1

5. Too Long - This one's just okay.  +0.5

6. Knocking At Your Door - Decent side two opener.  +0.5

7. If You Want A Little Love - Don't care for this one. Zero

8. Have You Seen Her? - Is this a cover?  Sounds like one. +0.5

9. Sue Sad - Meh. Zero

10. Dream About Me - Again, just average or slightly better. +0.5

Overall Score - 55%

Basically, the first half of the album is much better than the second half of it.  Those first two songs are outstanding. So, despite the somewhat low overall score, I enjoyed listening to it.  You did good this week Jon.

Simmons is the forgotten glue that binds the original Doobies sound throughout their entire history.  He is the constant.  I love all lineups of the Doobies.  The first full album I ever heard of them was Living On The Fault Line.  Sure I knew the hit songs and knew them very well, knew them well enough to know that what I was hearing was not what I expected.  Very jazzy, very polished, and catchy!  Yes I like the Michael McDonald edition of the band, but totally dig the vibe of Tommy Johnston's edition.  Preferring not one over the other but loving the full history.

Then there's this, the middle ground, the bridge between...  Both styles represented and easily heard on the first two tracks alone.  Don't Make Me Do it, while not interesting on first listen, grows on you and its a fine track!  Why You Giving Up would fit on Living On The Fault Line seamlessly, its the exact style of song that describes their late seventies early 80's deep cuts...

Side Two opens with another great riff and some cool geetar work.  Its not the best track and certainly doesn't seem to fit the mold of a side opener, but in the 80's it probably worked a lot better.  Like If You Want A Little Love and Sue Sad reallt well. Have Your Seen Her is nice and fits the feel of the softer tracks, but Im not sure I like it as much as the others.  I do like the way this closes though, a nice jazzy hyrbid tune with some geetar work.

Great memories! and nice post!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos