Classic Rock Bottom

Not counting NMC, it's been over a year since a Wishbone Ash album has been a L/F album pick and that may be too long for some people. Luckily, I have a vault filled with wonderment and I have nothing else better to do but post some of that wonderment for your listening pleasure.

This week's pick is the 1981 release, titled "Number The Brave" and is the only WA release featuring John Wetton who replaced bassist/vocalist Martin Turner. After this album, Wetton was next seen in some group called Asia that put out an album or two. Claire Hamill is also on board, providing background vocals.

As to be expected, you'll get the much cherished dual-geetar goodness. Anything less on a Wishbone Ash album would be uncivilized.

Number The Brave

1. Get Ready
2. Where Is The Love
3. That's That
4. Roller Coaster
5. Number The Brave
6. Loaded
7. Underground
8. Rainstorm
9. Kicks On The Street
10. Open Road

Availability: OOP, a new or used copy starts around $55. 

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool choice, I think.  Looking forward to listening, hopefully today.

That first track is a cover.  Right?  Don't know who did the more popular version.  Or is this the original that somebody else covered.

The start of track two is really frantic and the song has a totally killer bass tone.  The bass work on the entire album is stellar.

Number The Brave is a very cool song.  So is Underground.  I really dig the female backing vocals.

This album really has it all.  Electric guitar solos, acoustic guitar solos, awesome bass work and tone, and just some very, very good songwriting.  It's just one good song after another.  This is easily the best LFAOTW so far in 2015!

"Get Ready" was written by Smokey Robinson and was a hit for The Temptations and Rare Earth. 

Thanks for the info.

Jon is on a mission to have us own the entire Wishbone Ash catalog.  Funny thing about that, its working!  Another stellar post indeed.  This one has some great Motown/Funk feel to it, but they pull it off while rocking it.  Those bass lines are incredible, sounds like Chris Squire played and produced them himself...

Roller Coaster and Number The Brave are mesmerizing back to back!  Really killer tunes there!  Not taking anything away from the other tracks, this is a really cool album.

Must agree with boss man, one of your best of 2015!

This was actually a quite enjoyable listening.

At first, I tried to pick out the best tracks (1,3,5,6..) and realized the the whole of the album was pretty good.

One of the tracks made me think of Uriah Heep.

Another one, it was clear, that the album was from 1981, were The Police was one of the biggest bands around.

I'm not an instant WA-fan, but it was definitely better than listening to The Eagles.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos