Classic Rock Bottom

It's been awhile since a Wishbone Ash was featured as a L/F pick so this week is as good as any. 

Someone might say "Hey, wait a minute! Didn't you feature a Wishbone Ash album a couple weeks ago?" My response to this silly question would, of course, be "Is there such a thing as too much Wishbone Ash?" That'll shut 'em up but good.

This week's selection is "Twin Barrels Burning", released in 1982. This is the followup to "Number The Brave" and features Trevor Bolder (Uriah Heep) on bass, replacing John Wetton.

Fans of WA are a bit split on this album. Some bemoan the lack of prog while others like the hard rock direction the band took. There are moments of prog, but this is (mostly) a straight-ahead rock album. If you think about the year this album came out, it fits in quite nicely.

The album reached #22 in the UK.

Twin Barrels Burning

1. Engine Overheat
2. Can't Fight Love
3. Genevieve
4. Me And My Guitar
5. Hold On
6. Streets Of Shame
7. No More Lonely Nights
8. Angels Have Mercy
9. Wind Up

Availability: OOP, but a used copy can be found for around $34.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm on your side about there not being any such thing as too much Wishbone Ash!  Looking forward to this one.

This definitely sounds different than any other Wishbone Ash that you have featured.  It is bathed in the sound of the early, early 80's.  I don't dislike it at all, but I will say I'm more partial to the prog sounding WA.  It motors along nicely with some terrific guitar playing through the first four tracks.

It's not until the fifth track, Hold On, that my ears really perk up.  That is a really cool song.  The same with No More Lonely Nights.  Another sure fire period piece, but I really dig it.  These are by far the best tracks here for me.

I have to offer my appreciation to Jon for introducing me to Wishbone Ash.  He has done a great job of bringing their music to the forefront here at CRB.  They are a terrific band and the cool thing is, they are still rocking.  Great post, even if it's not the best WA that you've posted.  It's still Wishbone Ash.

The group seem to be exploring a harder rock feel than before. Love it

Since classic hard rock is my first love when it comes to music, I actually slightly prefer this though I like a ton of Wishbone Ash music.

Warning....  this response may contain subliminal messages (it actually will)...

I hate it (love it really) when you post Wishbone Ash, because its costs me money (actually its comes out of my kids college fund but who cares).  This seems to be as RJ suggests (don't you hate it when he's right?) a very 80's sounding production and the hints of prog are missing (sadly).  However the geetarmanship (who started spelling 'geetar' that stupid way anyway?) is as expected - stellar!

Me and My Guitar (they spelled it wrong - wait no they didn't, we do!) is the first misstep but Hold On is a great rebound (RJ's right again, just a sec...  no pigs flying in the sky ... yet).  Streets of Shame didn't really work for me (and by 'work for me' I mean didn't like it), but the album closes with 3 strong tracks (good not great).

I must say I miss the Wishbone Ash of previous posts (Argus still stands out) but Jon does a great job (damn that hurt) posting this bands lost works...  OOP ...  shame!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos