Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection might be the fourth in a series. Then again, it might not.

What's 100% true about this week's pick is that it's the 35th anniversary of this album which works out quite nicely since this is an anniversary weekend.  

I think someone requested Jeff Beck, maybe that's why I chose "There And Back" or maybe this was already in the pipeline. No matter, it is what it is. 

There could also be debate on whether this is really a lost and/or forgotten album, but since Jeff Beck hasn't been featured much, if at all, on this site, I'm claiming it in the L/F category. It doesn't help that this was a top 25 album in 1980 as well as reaching #10 on the jazz charts, but it still doesn't matter.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of hype surrounding this album because it was not only a new Jeff Beck album, but it was his first studio album since 1976's "Wired". I do remember seeing this album in the record store, featured prominently among the new releases.

For those fans of "Risky Business", there's a track on this album that should sound very familiar.

No bio about Jeff Beck needed, but I will include the allmusic.com review for your reading pleasure:

There and Back, Jeff Beck's first new studio album in four years, found him moving from old keyboard partner Jan Hammer (three tracks) to new one Tony Hymas (five), which turned out to be the difference between competition and support. Hence, the second side of this instrumental album is more engaging and less of a funk-fusion extravaganza than most of the first. If it were anybody else, you'd say that this was a transitional album, but this was the only studio album Beck released between 1976 and 1985, which makes it more like an unexpected Christmas letter from an old friend: "Everything's fine, still playing guitar."

There And Back

1. Star Cycle
2. Too Much to Lose
3. You Never Know
4. The Pump
5. El Becko
6. The Golden Road
7. Space Boogie
8. The Final Peace

Availability: A new copy is just $4.99!

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a series that is about Virtuoso Guitarists... 

Beck is someone I've taken a bit of an interest in lately, specifically his debut album which gets loads of praise and the one-off Beck Bogert Appice collaboration... So this is a timely and very interesting post...

Every album from "Truth" to "Wired" is required listening.

I''ve been wanting to check beck out as well.
Oops. Guess I'll do the anniversary thing next week.

I really have nothing to go on where Jeff Beck is concerned.  I've certainly heard of him, always wanted to check out some of his work, but never have.  Here's my chance.

Star Cycle - I pulled this up on Wikipedia, and true to the review above, we get an opening dose of Jan Hammer.  Which is obvious on that first track.  Why does everything he's involved in sound like it belongs on Miami Vice?  Anyway, Beck plays some nice stuff on this opening track.

Too Much To Lose - I wonder how people come up with track names for instrumentals?  Anyway, this track is short and sounds nothing like it would belong on Miami Vice.  Even better guitar work here.

You Never Know - This is kind of funky.  Jeff Beck really can play, I can see that now.  I'll go back to the Miami Vice thing, however, if Beck would have played guitar on all of the Miami Vice stuff it would have definitely sounded better to me.  

The Pump - Out goes Hammer, in comes Hymas.  Yep, this has an immediately different feel.  Kind of soulful.  Seems like there is more emphasis on the guitar here as opposed to the keyboards.  Yep, that is a totally nice track.

Time out: I've only seen Beck perform a couple of times on television specials.  Doesn't he have a unique style when he plays?  I wanna say he plays a lot with his thumb and index finger.  Just curious.

El Becko - Wow, this one really picks up the mood.  Again, the keyboards are more in support of the guitar, they don't seem to be the main show.  And I like that fact.  I don't say that because I'm a keyboard hater, I just like the guitar better as the overall lead instrument.  

The Golden Road - Right back to the soul feeling.  This, probably because of the keyboards, reminds me of something that you might hear on a Stevie Wonder record.  But man, Beck is terrific.  I have to say, this is good stuff.  

Space Boogie - Pickin' the pace back up.  Wow, Simon Phillips is on fire on the drums.  Yes, I can hear the jazz influence (in the drumming as well as the song as a whole), but he actually has a bit of an Alex Van Halen vibe going on here. Even Beck seems to be channeling Eddie Van Halen a bit on this tune.  This rocks in a Van Halen does jazz kind of way. This is the most fun song here.

The Final Peace - This starts of with the feel of an epic closer.  I don't think it ever quite gets there, probably because it's not that long of a song, but still it's a very soothing listen.  Just the geetar and some keys.  Nothing less, nothing more.  It does feel like, right before the end, it should get angry.  That would have made it better for me, but it didn't happen.

So overall, this was definitely the most intriguing album in what might be a series, or might not be a series.  I've seen Risky Business, but I've never seen Ricky Business.  So maybe that's why I didn't recognize anything.  Either way, best album so far in what might or might not be a series.

P.S.  I thought some of Beck's work featured vocals.  Is that true or is all of his solo work instrumental?  Serious question.

A majority of his albums (Jeff Beck/Jeff Beck Group) features vocals. Off the top of my head, there are at least four that don't: "Blow By Blow", "Wired", "There And Back" and "Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop". 

I've settled in on the series focus being Virtuoso Guitarists...

I looked up some additional information on this album, and its interesting to note that Beck only has one writing credit on this and that's the final track.  The Jan Hammer influence of the early 80's is distinct and easily identifiable.  Clearly the dude is keyboardists hero, there is some killer work on the first track, its interesting for sure.  A small hint of Miami Vice (or was it Beverly Hill Cop? or does it matter?).  Not sure the second track holds the same interest, but I do like the bass work, as a purveyor of funk and soul a little bass plucking always seems to strike a cool nerve.

Track 3 is a bit of a departure in production.  Theres a hint of double bass drum work that sounds muted, theres no thump!  Cool track bad production!

Theres a clear style shift with track 4... but looking at the song writing credits that would be expected.  A hint of jazz, which I really like, too much jazz spoils the tune IMO!  I like this track best so far.  El Becko... hahaha.  More jazzy work, this is nice.  Some vocals at this point would be a nice break, but that aside, the song writing holds up well.  The Golden Road is nice, but, its the least interesting so far.

Space Boogie... There's that muted double bass again!  And its more jazzy than spacy, but I liked it best so far.  Production issues aside...

And now to the Beck song writing credit.... Kind of a droner, was hoping for something with a little more tempo and guitar...  Oh well, 2 so-so track out of 8.  Not bad, does make me want to hear more...

Nice work!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos