Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection might not be the fourth in a series. Then again, it most probably is.

There's one song on here that refers to the AOTW in a way. See if you can figure it out.

Five years ago, a Funkadelic album was featured as the L/F pick o' the week. That album was more rock-oriented with a bit of funk thrown in. This week's selection, One Nation Under A Groove, is more funk-oriented with a bit of rock thrown in.

Released in 1978, this is the highest charting Funkadelic album, reaching #16 on the US chart as well as #1 on the R&B chart and hit Platinum status.

While Maggot Brain, that Funkadelic album posted all those years ago, featured Eddie Hazel on geetar, this album features Michael Hampton, who had been with the group for a few albums. The last three songs featured on the CD (and this week's post) are from an EP that was included with the LP. The geetar solo on "Maggot Brain" is by Michael Hampton, you can compare his version to Eddie Hazel's verion off the Maggot Brain album if you so desire.

Allmusic.com review time:

One Nation Under a Groove was not only Funkadelic's greatest moment, it was their most popular album, bringing them an unprecedented commercial breakthrough by going platinum and spawning a number one R&B smash in the title track. It was a landmark LP for the so-called "black rock" movement, best-typified in the statement of purpose "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!"; more than that, though, the whole album is full of fuzzed-out, Hendrix-style guitar licks, even when the music is clearly meant for the dancefloor. This may not have been a new concept for Funkadelic, but it's executed here with the greatest clarity and accessibility in their catalog. Furthermore, out of George Clinton's many conceptual albums (serious and otherwise), One Nation Under a Groove is the pinnacle of his political consciousness. It's unified by a refusal to acknowledge boundaries -- social, sexual, or musical -- and, by extension, the uptight society that created them. The tone is positive, not militant -- this funk is about community, freedom, and independence, and you can hear it in every cut (even the bizarre, outrageously scatological "P.E. Squad"). The title cut is one of funk's greatest anthems, and "Groovallegiance" and the terrific "Cholly" both dovetail nicely with its concerns. The aforementioned "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!" is a seamless hybrid that perfectly encapsulates the band's musical agenda, while "Into You" is one of their few truly successful slow numbers. The original LP included a three-song bonus EP featuring the heavy riff rock of "Lunchmeataphobia," an unnecessary instrumental version of "P.E. Squad," and a live "Maggot Brain"; these tracks were appended to the CD reissue. In any form, One Nation Under a Groove is the best realization of Funkadelic's ambitions, and one of the best funk albums ever released.

One Nation Under A Groove

1. One Nation Under a Groove
2. Groovallegiance
3. Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!
4. Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (The Doodoo Chasers)
5. Into You
6. Cholly (Funk Getting Ready to Roll)
7. Lunchmeataphobia (Think! It Ain't Illegal Yet!)
8. P. E. Squad / Doo Doo Chasers
9. Maggot Brain

Availability: The current inprint version is an import and could be had for around $17.

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its interesting to me that this bands most successful album shows up as a Lost Forgotten album.

Definitely has that late 70's production and clap track sync'd up with the snare.  I like that!  Has a pre-SuperFreak vibe.  Makes me wonder if Rick James had a hand in this one.  Feels like they were firmly entrenched in creating extended versions for the disco dance floor, at least with that lead off track. Groovallegiance extends the extended version feel but with more soul and jazz overtones.  Though the song feels repetitive, I do dig the bass line in the ending jam.

I do like the rock tune, its not really rock enough for me.  The weird thing about funk/soul bands of this era is when they did rock it up a bit they kept their guitar tones in the late 60's.  Maybe its just me but as much as I like the technical work here it feels out dated even for 1978.

Lets just call this fourth track "#4" I spent way too much time trying to pick that title apart, probably more time that the band did to come up with it. Kind of a droner and with all the chatter in the background its a bit of distraction that takes away from the listening experience...  again fun guitar work, but #4 just kind of drags on and on...

By the time we get to the fifth track I am getting deja-vu.  Bits and pieces are sounding familiar because they have been reused from earlier tracks.  Kind of makes me wonder if this just a recording of some jam sessions.

Bonus Tracks offer a nice respite from the repetitiveness of the first 5... The guitar tone is rocked up a just a bit on this lunchmeat tune, it has a deeper bluesy tone that works real nice. ...  Follow by more poop chasing, at least this time they are little more methodical. 

I like the way this started but didn't care for the improve/jam reuse that came later.  The 3 bonus tracks are the highlights IMO.  Never the less - it was a high quality listen and fun to come to this one!

Since I highly doubt the two people who listen to my posts own or even listened to this album before, yeah, it's lost and/or forgotten.

Deal with it.

I enjoyed dealing with it... 

I happy to have some time to listen, I missed this, even the replies!!! 

I want the funk, the whole funk, and nothin' but the funk.

That first track is pretty smooth.  And very, very funky.  But then again, that's what you are after here, right?  It's much more fun to listen to on a week in and week out basis than what you were aiming for on the last series.  But that's just because I like to here some sangin'.

Groovallegiance makes me think of a more modern rap type song, at first anyway.  I can hear Snoop Dog chiming in anytime now with a smooth rap.  And they name check themselves, which is always important.  But I've gotta say the previous track was better.  I do like me some guitar though.

Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!  Sounds a lot like a title of a Mother's Finest song.  That title will not be printed here.  This is definitely a rocked-up song.  Have I already said I like some guitar?

Next track is either the greatest song title ever or the worst song title ever.  Not sure which.  They even name checked Roto-Rooter.  I'm confused, is this a slow jam or a slow dump?

I have to say, the rest of this just kind of flows along, no real direction that I can see.  Just more of the same.  And that's okay, it is what it is.  It is some rocked-up funk.  With some enjoyable guitar work.  And some phenomenal song titles.  It's definitely not as mainstream as what you would get from Mother's Finest.   It's not something that I necessarily would want to purchase, but it's something that I'm more than willing to listen to.  I can only wonder what the funk you will pick for next week.

Forgot to mention, the live performance of Maggot Brain was phenomenal.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos