Classic Rock Bottom

The third album in the series I thought up all by myself is 1997's "Calling All Stations" from Genesis.

This is the followup to 1991's "We Can't Dance" which was certified 4X Platinum in the US, yet it only reached 54 on the charts which was the lowest charting Genesis album in the US since 1973's "Selling England By The Pound". None of the three singles released charted in the US. 

Maybe it was the absence of Phil Collins, who was replaced by Ray Wilson, formerly of Stiltskin. Maybe six years between albums was too long. Maybe the album really isn't that good. Maybe 1997 wasn't a good time for an album like this to be released. Maybe now I'm just making stuff up just so it looks like I typed a lot.

Like last week's selection, this is the last album from this group. Nope, no pattern here.

Actually, there's some decent stuff on this album. Not really a pop album like the previous Collin-fronted albums and I kind of dig "Congo". Definitely more prog here compared to 80's Genesis.

I must say that allmusic.com really doesn't like this album that much:

Phil Collins left Genesis following the We Can't Dance tour and many observers expected Tony Banks and Michael Rutherford to finally call it a day. They decided to persevere instead, hiring former Stiltskin vocalist Ray Wilson to replace Collins. Given that Stiltskin was a European neo-prog band, it isn't a total surprise that Genesis returned to their art rock roots on Calling All Stations, their first album with Wilson. The music on Calling All Stations is long, dense, and lugubrious, but it's given the same immaculate, pristine production that was the hallmark of their adult contemporary work with Collins. It wants to be an art rock album, but not at the expense of losing the pop audience -- which makes it all the stranger that the group doesn't really write pop songs on Calling All Stations. That may be because Wilson's voice isn't suited for pop, but works well with languid, synthesized prog settings. But even ponderous prog rock has to have musical themes worth exploring, and on that level, Genesis come up dry on Calling All Stations.

Calling All Stations

1. Calling All Stations
2. Congo
3. Shipwrecked
4. Alien Afternoon
5. Not About Us
6. If That's What You Need
7. The Dividing Line
8. Uncertain Weather
9. Small Talk
10. There Must Be Some Other Way
11. One Man's Fool

Availability: Around $5 used.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to say, I'm quite impressed with Jon's work here lately.  This album was really, really good.  I can't say I even knew that Genesis made and album without Collins or Gabriel on lead vocals.  

The first three songs are all very good.  It's not until we get to Alien Afternoon that we get a clunker.  But wait, it's not even a clunker.  The longer it goes on, the better it gets.

Dividing Line is fabulous.

The final track kind of reminds me of Big Wreck, probably vocally mostly.  

So, screw allmusic.com bro, I totally dig this album.  Not a bad track at all.  Even the long tracks are cool.  This did not fade into background music a single time.  I totally dig Ray's voice.  This is just more good stuff from the Jonster.

Yup, I like this series, or maybe its not...  Wish work would settle down for a minute!  But I'll catch up soon

My first thought was that this feels monotone and less layered.  But then Congo came on and I was fully on board. And then that feeling came back to me again.  This is very much a soft rock album with some real nice songs and one little more radical than soft rocker with The Dividing Line.  There Must Be Some Other Way is probably my favorite though, because at least it has some throw back Genesis prog mixed in with the Mike and the Mechanics.  I like that combo!!  Maybe they should have focused on that a little more??

I like the singer as he reminds me of Paul Young's work with Mike and the Mechanics.  And I think that's where this is landing, more in the Mike and the Mechanics sound than Genesis.  Not really such a bad thing because I Like both bands a lot.  But when it came to Genesis post-Abacab I kinda dropped off, so We Can't Dance is an album I've never heard fully and thus this one didn't hit my radar at all .  I do get the bigness of them though.  I think the idea of a Collins reunion is a good one!  Timely post!

Enjoyed this one and this series gets better and better!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos