Classic Rock Bottom

For the lucky thirteenth album in the series I thought up all by myself, we're bringing you 1983's Take Another Picture from Quarterflash. This might also be the beginning of a series within a series. 

This is the followup to the platinum self-titled debut that was released in 1981, reaching #8 on the US Top 200 chart. It also spawned two songs that reached the top 20, "Harden My Heart" (#3) and "Find Another Fool" (#16).

Take Another Picture reached #34 on the US Top 200 chart with the single "Take Me To Heart" reaching #14 on the US Hot 100 chart. However, the album is not certified by the RIAA. Kind of odd, considering the debut sold so well. Maybe it was the freaky album cover, or maybe fans of the debut just didn't care anymore. 

Personally, I think it's a good album. It doesn't grab you immediately like the first album, but it didn't bore me with the first listen and it doesn't bore me now. Remember, back in the early 80's I was all about hard rock/heavy metal 99.99% of the time. It's a nice complement to the debut.

Review. Allmusic.com:

"Take Me to Heart" was Quarterflash's third and last Top 40 single, peaking at a respectable number 14 in July of 1983. Sparked by Ross' attractive saxophone playing and a sexiness that leaped from bridge to chorus, it was just as solid as any single that came from their debut album. Unfortunately, Quarterflash's novelty wore off by this, their second release, and Take Another Picture's material fell short of the same stylishness and pop sophistication that the band presented on 1981's Quarterflash. Even with Joe Walsh playing guitar on "It Don't Move Me," or another Eagle, Timothy Schmit, lending his vocals to a few of the other songs, the album still fails to get off the ground. "Shakin' the Jinx" and "Make It Shine" come off as hurriedly written and unattended, too, while both "Shane" and "Nowhere Left to Hide" sound overly contoured without the same guitar/sax bite that made their first album successful. Except for the single, the rest of Take Another Picture represents Quarterflash's flawed attempt at duplicating their first album's success.

Take Another Picture

1. Take Me To Heart
2. Take Another Picture
3. Shane
4. Eye To Eye
5. It Don't Move Me
6. Shakin' The Jinx
7. Make It Shine
8. One More Round To Go
9. Nowhere Left To Hide
10. It All Becomes Clear

Availability: OOP, a used copy runs around $32.

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So Jon has a poppy side...  hmm...  Whodda Thunkit!

Opening track is very familiar it did hit the radio and charts, especially in the NorthWest corner of the states where I grew up and where this band hails from.  I own their debut album on vinyl still, never bothered to buy it as a CD as it wasn't that intriguing.  Good with too few great moments.  This album, came and went very quickly and then they were done, well I don't know about done but they certainly didn't hit radio or charts again.

Following the nice opener it quickly drops off.  Typically title tracks are some of the bets an album offers, but not in this case.  Really kinda falls into the soft pop realm and while the songs are OK with some memorable moments there is simply not enough moments to make them really shine.

I will say there is some high quality musicianship going on.  There are some interesting guitar licks that could've been exploited more, and the keyboard player gots some serious chops!  But they really needed to tell the guy singer to not sing.

Interesting choice, totally forgot about these guys!

Quarterflash kind of reminds me of The Motels.  A terrific female voice out front with a couple of really big songs, but nothing else that I remember...because I've never bought one of their albums.  I do believe I have the debut on vinyl from a couple of weeks ago.  Anyway, I managed to jot down some brief notes while listening to this yesterday.

1. I didn't remember this song by name, but as soon as it started playing, I remembered it.  Very nice tune.

2. Didn't care one bit for this one.

3. There's that sexy lead vocal.  I like this song a lot.

4. Kinda sappy.

5. Meh...Nice slide guitar though.

6. Much better, very cool guitar solo.

7. Cheese...

8. Pretty rockin' tune, sang by a male.  It has an awesome piano solo.

9. Oh yeah, very sexy vocal delivery.

10. Not sure about this, but I kind of like it.

So, this album was about 50-50 for me.  Can't say I disliked listening to it in anyway, but I also can't say it makes me wanna go out and pick up any additional Quarterflash.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos