Classic Rock Bottom

For the fourteenth album in the series I thought up all by myself, it's time for Berlin's Count Three & Pray which was released in 1986. This might also be the second in a series within a series as well as an anniversary pick since it has been 30 years. Just to annoy you further, I can't say if I'm going to be following the anniversary rule during this series. I got lucky with this week's selection. 

Count Three & Pray is the third album featuring Terri Nunn on lead vocals. The first was Pleasure Victim,  first released in 1982 and then re-released in 1983 reaching platinum status, and the second was Love Life, released in 1984 and certified gold.   

What's a bit strange is that even though this album contained Berlin's biggest hit, it only reached #61 on the US charts and has not been certified. Those that have seen "Top Gun" most probably know that that song is "Take My Breath Away" which reached #1 on the US Top 100.

I'm guessing since 9 million+ people bought the "Top Gun" soundtrack, they didn't bother to pick up this album. Another "problem" might be the more rock-oriented nature of this album. Ted Nugent is the featured geetarist on "Trash", so it obviously is more rock-oriented.

Even though I like the rock approach, I also like the previous two albums, especially Pleasure Victim. "The Metro" always gets to me, especially when she says sorry, and "Sex (I'm A....)" which should have been a #1 hit except that it was a little bit......nasty, we shall say. CHeck out an unedited version of the song if you don't believe me. 

Along with Ted Nugent, Elliot Easton (track unknown, but I'm guessing #8) and David Gilmour (track 10) contributed geetar.

At one time Berlin and Missing Persons were "guilty pleasures" of mine. Now I don't care what people think. I'm even proud of the personalised autograph from Terri Nunn on the "Animal" album I received a few years ago. So there.

Allmusic.com review time:

A major change of direction for Berlin, Count Three & Pray was an artistic triumph but a commercial disappointment. After making a name for itself playing very European-sounding synth pop, the L.A. trio recruited producer Bob Ezrin (known for his work with Alice Cooper and others) and unveiled a more hard-edged, guitar-oriented sound. From the rockin' "Trash" (which features none other than Ted Nugent -- the last person one would expect to work with Berlin!) to the ballad "Pink and Velvet" (a tale of two heroin addicts' romance that is as poignant as it is disturbing), Count Three & Pray leaves no doubt just how much lead singer Terri Nunn and her colleagues were enjoying this radical change. But sadly, record buyers weren't ready for it. Despite the inclusion of the hauntingly pretty number one hit "Take My Breath Away" (included in the film Top Gun) the album didn't sell nearly as well as Pleasure Victim or Love Life. Geffen was bitterly disappointed, and Berlin soon broke up.

Count Three & Pray

1. Will I Ever Understand You
2. You Don't Know
3. Like Flames
4. Heartstrings
5. Take My Breath Away
6. Trash
7. When Love Goes to War
8. Hideaway
9. Sex Me, Talk Me
10. Pink and Velvet

Availability: Around $7 used.

Views: 1552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dale Bozzio and Terri Nunn fan? or fan of their bands?

I like Berlin and Missing Persons so both I guess?

Berlin - the band - was a pretty trendy band, at least they were when they leapt onto the music scene. Hard Core new wave with a big presence on Mtv.  There is something cool about this band that I do like.  Not sure what that is though. Theyre just good.  

I like the opener, nice pop-rocker with a good tempo.  When Berlin - the band - released that Metro video - it was captivating, though I didn't care for the song I kept watching.  Theres a lot of the same beats you hear in No More Words but thats a cool tune so its not an issue for me. Take My Breath Away, well... it still feels overplayed to me.  I have to wonder if that had something to do with the momentum of this album.  

I like this album, Berlin - the band - has a cool vibe going, or had....  Though I think they are still active.  Purchase?  Not sure but I definitely want to go back look at more pi...  

I mean hear more of their earlier stuff... Maybe next week we can hear something from Missing Persons - the band?

Missing Persons is out. Their stuff is either OOP or only available as imports for mighty hefty fees.

You can also watch this if you want more Terri Nunn AND Disco!

Must have been a bit nippy that night.

The only thing I remember about this band is that song from Top Gun.

The first track is pretty nice.  I like the guitars.  But I really dig the second track, You Don't Know.  I see it was released as a single, yet it didn't chart in the U.S.  Not sure why, this song is killer.  Reminds me of To Live And Die In L.A. - the song.

Just noticed Bob Ezrin was a producer.

Heartstrings is another very nice tune.  She has a great, sexy voice.  This guitar work is outstanding.

All these years later, I still don't understand why Goose had to die.

Trash really doesn't do that much for me.  Of course Uncle Ted can play, but I actually prefer the solo on Heartstrings.

When Love Goes To War is another excellent song.  This song is a great candidate to be covered.  Somebody do it. Maybe the Black Star Riders or Sweet & Lynch.  The production is perfect.  It gives it a certain atmospheric sound.  

Then Hideaway sounds like it doesn't belong at all on this album.  Don't misconstrue my words.  It sounds out of place, but it's another terrific song.  With more awesome guitar playing.  

Sex Me, Talk Me simply doesn't work.

Pink And Velvet is a song I don't really have a problem listening to, thanks to the guitar solo, but I don't think it's a really strong ending for the album.

All of that being said, this was a very cool listen.  It has been added to the Amazon Wish List. 

Oh yeah,  Gilmore tears it up on Pink And Velvet.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos