Classic Rock Bottom

For the fifteenth album in the series I thought up all by myself, let's check out 1992's Rockinghorse from Alannah Myles. This could also be the third in a series within a series, but maybe it isn't.

This is the followup to her self-titled debut which was released in 1989. That album included "Black Velvet" which reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and ended up at #18 for the year. It also reached #1 in a few other countries and was in the top ten in most other countries.

The debut reached #5 on the Billboard 200 and has been certified platinum. In Canada it reached diamond status with gold status achieved in England.

So, it's a bit odd that Rockinghorse didn't do so well. It did achieve 2x platinum status in Canada, but no certification in the US. However, it did receive a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance-Female for the song "Rockinghorse".

Maybe it was too long between the first and second albums and people lost interest. Maybe they were expecting more "Black Velvet"-like songs, but that was just one song on the first album with the rest not sounding like that song. Maybe it's the nekkidness on the cover. Maybe, as usual, I just don't know. 

I still like "Black Velvet" but what I really like is that she's a rocker. There's a few ballads here and there, but they're not of the 80's power ballad variety. 

There's no review from allmusic.com, but they give it 2 1/2 stars, while Amazon has it rated at 4.5 stars. 

Rockinghorse

1. Our World Our Times
2. Make Me Happy
3. Sonny Say You Will
4. Tumbleweed
5. Livin' On A Memory
6. Song Instead Of A Kiss
7. Love In The Big Town
8. The Last Time I Saw William
9. Lies And Rumours
10. Rockinghorse

Availability: Around $4 used.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Series within a series...chick singers.

What Horse? I don't see no Horse!

She's got a great voice!  Very rarely does a womans voice really work in the heavy rock world.  Ann Wilson is the obvious best ever... 

This album is bookended with the two best tunes on here.  That opener is really strong!!  Though the mix does have that hollow snare sound that's so 90's!  Sonny Say Will ditched that sound and it really improved the feel of the album, this song by the way is really very good as well.

Where my issue is begins with Tumbleweed and the feel of the country influence, that took away from the listening experience.  But the album gets back on track with Livin' On A Memory.  The country feel shows up again in tracks 8 and 9 but not as pronounced so those tunes ended up being pretty good.  Track 9 was OK, but the title track and closer is really cool!  Not what I expected at all ....

All in all this was a cool album, not a purchase for me, but Ive gained some respect for her vocals.  And the image on the cover aint bad either!

I wasn't much of a fan of Black Velvet.  Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the way she looks.  But that's not the focus here.  The first tune was a bit surprising.  It was quite smooth with a slight hint of funkiness.  The production is terrific. Very moody or atmospheric.  Not what I would have expected from her at all.  The next song, while not bad, definitely is a step down from the opener.  Despite the bluesy guitar, Sonny Say You Will doesn't do much for me.  Tumbleweed has a nice little guitar opening, and her voice sounds much more like I would expect it to here.  It's got that grit.  Livin' On A Memory is a bit sultry, more along the line Black Velvet.  Easily the best song here since the opener.  She sounds a bit like Alanis Morrissette to me here.

Song Instead Of A Kiss is pretty cool.  Love In The Big Town is rockin' out.  The Last Time I Saw William is even better.  Very smooth.  Lies And Rumors is a fairly heavy song with some huge sounding drums.  This woman could definitely rock. Nice acoustic touch on the closer.

This was a pretty good listening experience.  I would have never guessed it, that's for sure.  You've been on a pretty good roll lately, keep it up.

I don't understand. ... what do you mean the focus isn't on her looks?

Well, it's not supposed to be.

It should be on the music.

If it's the cover, it should be on the horse just like with the picture below.

Now, that's a good lookin' woman right there.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos