Classic Rock Bottom

For the nineteenth album in the series I thought up all by myself, we shall visit the 1979 release from Peter Frampton, Where I Should Be.

This is the followup to the platinum certified I'm In You which followed the multi-platinum Frampton Comes Alive! which just happened to be last week's featured AOTW. No, there's no collusion involved here whatsoever.

Where I Should Be was certified gold, reached #19 in the US and "I Can't Stand It No More" reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. This would be Frampton's last studio album with a certification and is also his last album to hit the top 20. This is also the first album he released since appearing in "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" that, for some reason, a lot of folks despise.

As usual, you can expect the stellar geetar work Frampton is known for, as well as an R&B presence throughout. It's a bit obvious that interest in Frampton was waning at this time and that's a shame. The followup to this, Breaking All The Rules, is one of my favorite albums he put out, and he's continued to put out quality recordings.

Now for allmusic.com to tell you what they think:

Frampton's fall from grace has been scrutinized ad nauseam, but notice the abundant use of "I" on this record as opposed to "you" in his hottest songs: "Do You Feel Like We Do," "I'll Give You Money," and "I'm in You." Here, Frampton is focused on self-preservation, rather than just blasting audiences like the straight rocker he is. The decent title cut begs to be "Back on the road, where I should be." No doubt, as over the year preceding the album Frampton suffered a car accident and his celebrity star imploded. The most excellent opener, "I Can't Stand It No More," lets loose another cry for the simpler days (akin to Cheap Trick's "Stop This Game"); the single even rose to number 13 on Billboard's Top 40, the last time Frampton would see the charts. Otherwise this wax stumbles over some weird disco steps and drags in the talk box for an attempt at former glory. Frampton has always tried to escape the gilded cage of his looks, first through the dirty blooze of Humble Pie and then as a low-key average guy whose career unexpectedly hit the stratosphere. By Where I Should Be, the world wanted too much from Frampton, a rock guitarist trapped in a teenybopper body.

Where I Should Be

1. I Can't Stand It No More
2. Got My Feet Back on the Ground
3. Where I Should Be (Monkey's Song)
4. Everything I Need
5. May I Baby
6. You Don't Know Like I Know
7. She Don't Reply
8. We've Just Begun
9. Take Me By The Hand
10. It's A Sad Affair

Availability: New runs around $11.

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a fan of this guys work, was back then and I still am.  I own this one so I will listen from my collection so as not to risk missing the two tracks that are over 5 minutes in length.

The hit song played frequently on my hometown radio station, 95 Alive!.  95 is long since dead...  But the appeal of I Cant Stand It No More still works.  Alas, the disco flavors of the times takes over beginning with track two.  Its interesting to hear the plucking bass and horns against his guitar work.  I'm not saying it works well, I'm just saying its interesting.

The Title cut brings you back in though. Its a perfect track to bridge his past to where he is at the time of this recording.  I like it.  And then Everything I Need calls back the horn section for an upbeat blues number.  Not sure I like this one, its not terrible but its not very interesting.

Then May I Baby brings me back in...  I love the quirkiness of this one, the drum work is cool.  The horn section works better in this context though they are still a bit of a distraction.  You Don't Know Like I Know and She Don't Reply are the first real missteps for me anyway.  Yes the disco stuff and horns are distraction but they were at least interesting, these two tracks, eh...

We've Just Begun is a real nice tune though easily my favorite along with the opener.  And even Take Me By The Hand is pretty OK, not great, but it has redeeming value.  The closer has some promise but it gets repetitive and loses you fairly quickly. 

Not really sure where or what he was trying to do here, I guess I'll side with the reviewer and go with self preservation.  For fans of Frampton its a worthy addition to the collection, for casual fans?  Probably not that interesting.

Fine post!!

Whole album is on the player.

So my guess is you made a podsnack purchase...

Nope, called them up and told them I was very angry and they gave me free, unlimited usage.

Didn't need a fabricated story...

I was drunk?

You're always drunk...or high.

Check your email.

Done did.  Check yours.

Done did.  Check yours.

That familiar bass kicks off the album.  I Can't Stand It No More is a fantastic song.  I remember hearing it quite often on the radio back then.  The only song since that I remember hearing on the radio is Breaking All The Rules.  So it's a nice start.  Followed up by some of that R&B referred to above.  The best thing about this song though is definitely the guitar work.  Where I Should Be kicks it back into the rock realm.  I thought it would be cheesy based on the beginning, but it's really not.  Yes, the stellar guitar work is present here for sure. 

Frankly, I'm not exactly sure where the inspiration lies for Everything I Need.  Blues, R&B, not really sure.  Wow, next song is straight up R&B.  It sounds like a Hall & Oates song.  A very heavy horn presence.  You Don't Know Like I Know continues in the same vein, but this song is a little more fun.  I like this one.  One rock song, then it's back to what sounds almost like early 80's yacht rock.  Take Me By The Hand is a pretty decent acoustic track.  Easily one of the best tracks on the album. Well, actually, I like the closer a good bit.  I'd put it as the second best track on the album, right after the excellent opener.

So what we have is an album with some excellent guitar playing that has great bookends.  This was a decent listen, but not anything I would find essential.  Still, I can now say I've heard this album.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos