Classic Rock Bottom

For the twentieth album in the series I thought up all by myself, it's time for The Fox which is the 1981 release from Elton John. As with last week's selection, there is no collusion involved. However, you COULD say that this is an anniversary selection since this was released 35 years ago and I just so happened to "miss" the anniversary pick at the beginning of this month. 

The Fox is the second of three albums released between 1979 that did not reach any certification from the RIAA. This is the followup to 1980's gold certified 21 At 33 which followed the non-certified Victim Of Love. From 1970's Tumbleweed Connection thru 1978's A Single Man, every Elton John album had been certified platinum at the very least. That's 10 albums!

I remember hearing a song off this album when it came out and I really wanted to get The Fox. For some reason, I never did until quite a few years later. When I finally did pick up this album, I couldn't remember what song it was that I heard on the radio which made me wonder if it was even a song off this album. 

It really doesn't matter though. I like this album even though it's not Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic......., Madman Across The Water, etc., etc. Personally, I think it's a strong album from beginning to end, especially "Breaking Down Barriers" and "Fascist Faces" but maybe it's just me. I'm sure there's fans of this album but not as many as other EJ albums. 

And.....allmusic.com review time:

The early '80s were not a particularly focused time in Elton John's career. The Fox (1981) is a reflection of the tentative regrouping that began on his previous effort, 21 at 33 (1979). In fact, a third of the material was left over from the same August 1979 sessions. This results in dithering musical styles and ultimately yields an uneven and at times somewhat dated sound. The reunion with Bernie Taupin (lyrics) that commenced on 21 at 33 is once again sparsely tapped. He contributes the tepid "Heels of the Wind" as well as "Just Like Belgium," which foreshadows the pair's future lightweight efforts such as "Nikita." Slightly more promising, however, is the midtempo rocker "Fascist Faces" -- which may well be a nod to David Bowie's infamous "Britain could benefit from a fascist leader" statement. The album's introspective title track instantly recalls the slightly bittersweet "Curtains" coda from Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboys (1975). Gary Osborne and Elton John's collaborations were beginning to yield some impressive results, including "Heart in the Right Place" -- which could easily have been a follow-up to the slinky Caribou (1974) track "Stinker." The tender "Chloe" conclusion to the "Carla/Etude/Fanfare" medley became one of two tracks extracted as singles. The other, "Nobody Wins," sports a Euro-beat flavor and was adapted from a French techno-pop hit by Osborne and Jean-Paul Dreau. According to John, the dark and noir "Elton's Song" remains a favorite, and he very occasionally revives it for live performances. Although The Fox isn't a grand slam, it isn't exactly a bunt either. However, the incremental momentum would continue on the subsequent long-player, Jump Up! (1982), before culminating on his '80s breakthrough, Too Low for Zero (1983).

The Fox

1. Breaking Down Barriers
2. Heart In The Right Place
3. Just Like Belgium
4. Nobody Wins
5. Fascist Faces
6. Carla/Etude - Fanfare - Chloe
7. Heels Of The Wind
8. Elton's Song
9. The Fox

Availability: The remastered import version is available for around $9.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 21 at 33, Jump Up! and Too Low For Zero.  I missed this totally and have often sampled the soundbytes on Amazon/iTunes to see if it would spark an interest.  Cant recall what I thought about it, but clearly nothing has lead to a purchase yet, maybe this will?  ...

I listened to this at work today.  Even made a note here and there.  Unfortunately, I walked right out the door and left my notes at work.  So we'll see what I remember from the experience.

First, I like Elton John's music.  Maybe not all of it, but a fair amount of it.  Long ago, growing up, I liked all of his hits. For a long time I only owned a greatest hits disc, maybe two.  I've even bought an additional greatest hits double disc, but since then I've picked up GYBR, Honky Chateau, Captain Fantastic, The Diving Board along with 1 dollar slabs of Blue Moves and the self-titled Elton John on vinyl.  As a matter of fact, I really like the latter, and one of these days I'm gonna pick that up on CD.

This album, in places, reminded me of yacht rock.  That's not a knock, because I like yacht rock just fine.  I did notice a couple of instances of ear pleasing guitar work, but I don't remember hearing much of it.  The instrumental could have easily put me to sleep.  You know, like a movie does when you're watching it on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  I think, by a good bit, the best songs were Nobody Wins, Elton's Song and The Fox.  I think this one might deserve another listen later in the week.  I agree with your comment above that it's no GYBR, but it's not bad.  I like it enough that if I were to see it for just a few bucks in the used CD store, I would pick it up.

Nice post.

Since I own the two albums that preceded and followed this album its weird that it slipped by me totally unnoticed.  I mean I'm an astute and very frequent record store shopper, I usually stay up on artists that interest me and Elton John did at the time.  So then the thought struck me, maybe it wasn't me?!  And sure enough, it wasn't...  Most everyone missed this one including  my favorite record store at the time - Budget Tapes and Records in Pocatello Idaho. (Still a great shop by the way)

And after one listen, albeit in pieces and parts... it will likely stay that way.  The production is familiar and that's a good and bad thing.  You want to hear progress but in places this sound exactly like his "Don't Shoot Me..." era sans the quality song writing of course.

I found a few tracks that peaked my interest but the majority fell flat for me.  I'm musically richer for having this listening experience, and I'm financially richer for not having to buy this...

Fine work Jonster!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos