Classic Rock Bottom

The twenty-eighth album in the series I thought up all by myself is the 1980 release from Warren Zevon, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School.

This is the followup to the platinum certified Excitable Boy, released in 1978. And, even though this did reach #20 on the US charts, it has not reached any certification. The only other Warren Zevon studio album to be certified is 2003's The Wind, which was his final album. 

Three singles were released from the album with only "A Certain Girl" charting, reaching #57. What's strange (at least to me), is that the one song that I've heard a lot on the radio, "Play It All Night Long" was not released as a single. But, there's probably a good reason why.....

There are quite a few guest appearances on the album including a majority of the Eagles, Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt.

Did you know there's no such thing as a bad Warren Zevon album?

Let's see how allmusic.com come feels about this:

Excitable Boy earned Warren Zevon a hit single ("Werewolves of London") and the mainstream success he richly deserved, but his new fame came with a price; the hard-living Zevon did not react well to the temptations that come with rock stardom, and in the wake of Excitable Boy he had developed a severe drinking problem. Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School was cut as Zevon was working hard to stay clean and sober and put his career back on track, and it projects an ambition and strength of focus that was decidedly absent from Excitable Boy. The album's rockers hit harder and cut deeper than any of his previous work, especially the twisted Southern gothic of "Play It All Night Long" and the mercenary's anthem "Jungle Work," while "Bed of Coals" and "Wild Age" found Zevon bravely addressing his own failings and expressing his need for a greater maturity in his life. While the album was still short on subtlety compared to 1976's Warren Zevon, "Empty Handed Heart" proved Zevon could still write a straightforward song about love (not a happy one, but no one expected that from him anyway), and the two interludes for orchestra gave credence to Zevon's claims that he planned to write a symphony some day (and that it might even be worth hearing). And if "Gorilla You're a Desperado" was a throwaway, it was a better waste of time than "Night Time in the Switching Yard" on Excitable Boy. While Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School didn't quite return Zevon to the top of his game, it made clear that the quality of Warren Zevon was no fluke, and is a stronger effort than Excitable Boy in nearly every respect.

Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School

1. Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School
2. A Certain Girl
3. Jungle Work
4. Empty - Handed Heart
5. Interlude No. 1
6. Play It All Night Long
7. Jeannie Needs A Shooter
8. Interlude No. 2
9. Bill Lee
10. Gorilla, You're A Desperado
11. Bed Of Coals
12. Wild Age

Availability: The single CD release is OOP and runs around $46 new or used so why not just get the Original Album Series set that includes five albums and runs around $16?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a good album, but my favorite track is "Jeannie Needs A Shooter".

Often I've heard how great Zevon is, and often its been hard for me to warm up to his work.  Outside of a few tracks (Werewolves of London being one of them) I haven't seemed to been able to understand the genius that is Zevon.  This album cover looks extremely familiar and I have no idea why.  Rarely does my memory fail me, but this is the one time in recent  memory that I can remember not remembering...

The opener wasn't that engaging but it did end up having a certain charm that forced to pay attention.  Certainly has nothing to do with his vocals, but the song writing seems to be quite good.  The guitar work outstanding and the production, while dated, is some of my favorite classic rock feeling work.  Wonder how this sounds turned up louder?  Jungle Work is really good!  Gonna have to try this again...

This album cover looks extremely familiar and I have no idea why.  Rarely does my memory fail me, but this is the one time in recent memory that I can remember not remembering...

I keep coming back to the musicianship and guitar work, its outstanding.  Have to say the vocals are the weak link, the music is written and performed well.  There's nothing really bad to say here even though it may sound like I didn't care for the vocals I'm only saying they were the weak part of the listening experience, not bad though. 

This album cover looks extremely familiar and I have no idea why.  Rarely does my memory fail me, but this is the one time in recent  memory that I can remember not remembering...

I'm not ready to make the leap into genius-ville, but I liked this much better than I thought I would....

I enjoyed listening to this one.  Not a bad song here. Best song was A Certain Girl.  I also thought Jeannie Needs A Shooter was cool.  I definitely heard Linda Ronstadt in there somewhere, I believe it was on Bed of Coals, another fine song.  The guitar playing throughout was not overwhelming, but it was extremely appropriate and quite good.  You mentioned Excitable Boy and The Wind.  Those two happen to be the only Warren Zevon albums that I own.  But I've enjoyed listening the them and I certainly plan to pick up a couple more.

Nice pick this week Jon.

The Guitarists on the album were Jackson Browne, Don Felder and Joe Walsh...  That explains a lot!!  Looks like the guy used Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles as his backing band beginning in 75 through 82 at which time he transitioned to using the Heartbreakers....

Cool...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos