Classic Rock Bottom

For the thirtieth album in the series I thought up all by myself, let's take a look and listen to Blackfoot's Tomcattin'.

A real QUICK look.

See, we got a new toy and I have to finish setting it up. Not a slight against this album by any means, but sometimes we just gotta play with the toys.

Tomcattin', released in 1980, is the followup to the platinum certified Strikes. Like the latter album this also features an animal on the cover, as did the followup, Marauder. Just some stuff I thought you might like to know.

Even though this week's feature reached #50 on the US charts, it was not certified. Actually, Strikes is the only studio album from Blackfoot that received a certification.

If you follow Blackfoot, you know what you're getting into. Southern rock, but HEAVY southern rock. Great, classic music here.

Allmusic.com review?

Blackfoot's second major-label effort, 1980s Tomcattin', continued pushing the envelope of Southern rock, and despite the absence of an obvious hit, fans of the band's heavier aspirations weren't disappointed. As usual, the album opens at full throttle with "Warped" before finding a mid-paced groove on songs such as "On the Run" and "Dream On." "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" is another stomper, and "Every Man Should Know (Queenie)" is probably the record's all-around highlight, thanks to its clever combination of slide guitar, tough riffs, and a catchy chorus. Save for its interesting harmonica, the ballad "In the Night" feels rather forced, but band leader Rickey Medlocke is especially inspired on the bluesy hobo tale "Spendin' Cabbage." For the finale, the band once again calls upon Medlocke's dad Shorty to introduce the barnstorming, double entendre-laden "Fox Chase."

Tomcattin'

1. Warped
2. On The Run
3. Dream On
4. Street Fighter
5. Gimme, Gimme, Gimme
6. Every Man Should Know (Queenie)
7. In The Night
8. Reckless Abandoner
9. Spendin' Cabbage
10. Fox Chase

Availability: Around $14 new or used.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice!

Now you're talkin'.  This is some great sounding Southern Rock right here.  Funny thing is, I did not own this back in the day.  I'm pretty sure my cousin did, but the only Blackfoot purchase I made was Strikes.  On The Run is a fantastic song. The guitars throughout this album are exactly what you would expect from some southern players.  I'm glad I listened to this today.  I still like Strikes better, but this is very good.  I should have bought it way back then.

Frankly, I wish Medlocke was not in Lynyrd Skynyrd these days.  As a matter of fact, I wish nobody was in Lynyrd Skynyrd these days.  In my opinion, Medlocke and Rossington should have formed a band with a totally different name years ago. They could even let Van Zant in the band, but I'd like to hear Medlocke sharing the vocal duties.  Not sure if he can still sing like he does here, but he is/was a fantastic vocalist.

Great post this week Jon.

Easily my favorite Blackfoot album even though I had been introduced to the band via Highway Song and rock radio, or maybe it was Casey Kasems Top 40 show, either way it was a fine introduction.

Then I seen them open for Foghat is support of this album and that show has been burnt into my memory for several reasons, one of which is watching this band tear it up!  Such stage presence!  They were mesmerizing to say the least, and while I do remember the fine show Foghat gave, this band showed them up.

There's not a single bad track to be found on here, its all straight ahead Southern Heavy Rock.  The heavy distortion and thick drum really are very good.  The riffs are 100% Southern Fried but totally rocked up - except for Spendin' Cabbage which is cool in its own way, just listen and you'll see I'm right.

Finally it goes without saying that this is an essential slice of Southern Rock but even more so just a great album to own.  The recent Rock Candy remasters of Strikes, TOmcattin' and Maurauder (and a live album) are worth considering as an upgrade to your existing collection as well. 

Fine work Jon!!  Fine Work....

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos