Classic Rock Bottom

For this, the 44th album in the series I thought up all by myself, I thought it would be fun if I stuck with the letter "E".

Last week's pick was from Extreme and this week's pick is from Econoline Crush and their 2001 release, Brand New History which was the followup to their platinum certified (in Canada) The Devil You Know, released in 1997, which reached #47 on the Canadian charts.

I heard a song or two off of The Devil You Know and it/they didn't appeal to me. However, a few years later when I was aimlessly channel surfing, I landed on Fuse and they were playing a video for "Make It Right" and I dug it. I dug it so much then I bought Brand New History and dug the whole album and still do.

The album, for the most part, rocks and is filled with a bunch of catchy songs. There quite a few "raging rockers" here (unlike, say, that song by The Cars) plus some that rock hard and you could probably also dance to. For some reason, I also dig the background vocals. Oh, and the geetar.

Brand New History did not receive a certification in Canada or the U.S. It did reach #17 on the Canadian charts with tracks #1 & #3 hitting the top 15 in Canada and the top 30 in the U.S.

Let's see what allmusic.com says:

After receiving a nomination for a Juno award (the Canadian equivalent of an American Grammy award) for their debut album, Purge, Econoline Crush released The Devil You Know, a dynamic follow-up which quickly went gold in their native Canada. Following its release, the band began rehearsing for their U.S. tour and readied themselves to compete with the Filter's and Stabbing Westward's of America. Unfortunately, the success they enjoyed in their homeland didn't follow them stateside, despite the addition of the video for "Home" to MTV's "Buzz Bin." Three years later, the band enlisted legendary producer Bob Rock (Metallica, Mötley Crüe, Aerosmith) and DJ Swamp (Beck) to help them craft an even more accessible blend of industrial rock and pop for Brand New History. Although the lyrics on the album ring a bit too familiar with those from the band's past releases, Brand New History proves to be a solid musical affair. While "Make It Right," "You Don't Know What It's Like," and "Flamethrower" take full advantage of Rock's experience in producing hard rock's elite, slower cuts like "By the Riverside" (co-written by former Nine Inch Nails drummer/producer Chris Vrenna) also entertain while serving to pace the album. Although they haven't strayed too far from the foundation they laid on The Devil You Know and Purge, Econoline Crush has returned with a strong follow-up that showcases their more polished performance and improved songwriting.

Brand New History

1. Make It Right
2. Flamethrower
3. You Don't Know What It's Like
4. Trash
5. By The Riverside
6. Digging The Heroine
7. Go Off
8. Sinking
9. May I Go
10. My Salvation
11. Here And There
12. Tomorrow Starts Today

Availability: Can be found for around $4. There might be a couple different versions, the one available for cheap has track #3 listed as the last track.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

never heard of 'em

That's.......shocking?

My first thought at the intro to the first song is that it wouldn't be particularly good, but when the guitars kick in it get's really cool.  It get's quite heavy and the harmony vocals are quite good.  Flamethrower doesn't work as well, but then the Duran Duran imitation slays.  Maybe it's too loud to be a hit, but it should have been.  Really good song.  Trash also reminds me of another song, just can't place it.  Cool rocker.  STP, that's who it reminds me of.  By The Riverside is definitely a pop song, but it's pretty good just the same.  

The pace slows, but yet another good song in Digging The Heroine.  Again, it sounds like it could have been a hit for Duran Duran.  Maybe even the best song yet.  Go Off just needs to go off.  Same for Sinking, the album is sinking.  Yes, you may go.  The free fall continues until Here And There.  That is a very good song.  The closer certainly isn't their best effort.

Look, this was a good half album.  The first half, of course.  Nice effort this week.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos