Classic Rock Bottom

The 49th album in the series I thought up all by myself is something that wasn't even on my radar last week. This is good news for you since that means that this series is most probably going to last a full year because I thought up even more albums to add! That's what happens when you have lots of time on your hands but, hopefully, I won't forget about those other albums that popped into my little ole head. 

Well, that's not going to happen since I just took the time to write them down. You and I are now set.

This week's selection is the 1991 release from The Escape Club, Dollars And Sex. Most of you are probably most familiar with The Escape Club from the 1988 single "Wild, Wild West" which reached #1 on the US charts. What's a bit surprising is that even though they are from England, that single nor the album reached the UK charts.

The album Wild Wild West reached #27 on the US charts and was certified gold. Dollars And Sex reached #145 on the US charts but did contain a #8 single in the US, "I'll Be There". The band broke up soon after and didn't release another album until 2005. 

I must admit that I liked "Wild, Wild West"..........at first. Then it was overplayed on MTV and I kind of got sick of it. However, I did dig the geetars in the song. Now I can listen to the song and not feel sick. 

You can consider this dance rock with plenty of geetar. Hey, I like me some dance rock as long as there IS plenty of geetar. This album fits the bill quite nicely. 

Let's check in with allmusic.com and see what they think:

The Escape Club had a lot to live up to when the time came to deliver a follow-up to its successful debut album, Wild Wild West. The pressure was obviously on, and the band avoided the infamous sophomore slump (from an artistic standpoint) on its second album, Dollars & Sex. Not significantly different from what listeners found on Wild Wild West, tunes like "Call It Poison," "So Fashionable" and "The Edge of Your Bed" offer the sort of infectious, catchy, R&B-tinged rock & roll groove that had made the Club a hit in the late '80s. The rockers bring a sociopolitical agenda to some of the material (including "Shout the Walls Down" and the reggae-influenced "Freedom"), but that doesn't detract from the fun. Dollars & Sex is an album that those who enjoyed Wild Wild West shouldn't overlook.

Dollars And Sex

1. The Edge Of Your Bed
2. Call It Poison
3. So Fashionable
4. I'll Be There
5. Shout The Walls Down
6. This City
7. Blast Off To Heaven
8. Freedom
9. Sugar Man
10. Come Alive

Availability: Around $4 used.

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know I was born in the wild west, raised in the wild west, educated in the wild west, met my wife in the wild west, had a family in the wild west, and began my career in the wild west, I guess you could say that I was ...

Living in the wild, wild west
The wild, wild west (wild west)

Oh ya I went there!

But now I'm living in the wild, wild SouthEast, doesn't have the same ring to it, but I like it anyway.  This is the 3rd poppy album you've posted, whether you're in some weird musical mood or you're trying to Segway into something else after you post #52 in this series you thought up all by yourself.  hmm.....

This music is OK, but its not really fitting what I like in my wheelhouse, it has a weird INXS copycat quality to it that helps it but the songwriting isn't anywhere near INXS catchiness.  In fact it wasn't until track 4 (which the released single, but it ings no bells for me) that you could tell a difference between tracks and then track 5 picked up where 3 left off.  Track 6 is another left turn off the beaten path, but his vocal style is more of a droner, I liked the bass lien though the vocals failed this one.  Tracks 8 and 9 are different as well, but both contain that weird vocal.  And we close with the INXS wannabe style. 

I don't know...  Its not terrible, but its also not very engaging or totally interesting.  There's some good bass work here but loads of repetition.  Not for me, but this poppier side of Jon is certainly interesting...

You know, I'm trying, but I'm not getting into this at all.  First off, I never cared for their big "hit".  And so far, the first three songs sound kind of like re-treads of that song.  I'll Be There is, how should I say it?  Pretty bad.  Really bad.  Shout The Walls Down is back to the Wild Wild West type of song.  I just don't really like this.

It doesn't get any better.  Well, that's not true.  This City is a pretty cool song.  It has a great atmosphere, just an all around cool song.  More like this please.  But it's not to be.  Blast Off To Heaven is back to the same old thing.  But Freedom, although I'm not much of a fan of reggae, is a pretty good song.  The guitar is quite cool on this one.  Sugar Man is very different.  Can't say if I like it or not.  Don't like the last song.

I don't think I'd ever consider purchase here, but there are two really good songs here.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos