Classic Rock Bottom

Freedom!

Now I can post whatever I want without being forced to follow a specific theme. For a year I was forced to follow specific rules on what I could post but that's now over with and I am freeeeeeeeee!

To celebrate, my first album pick is from Ratcity In Blue from Good Rats, released in 1976. Yes (The) Good Rats have been featured before, but this time there will be no mention of a certain band that someone just had to mention before. There's really no need, is there?

The band bio is included with the first Good Rats post, so no need to go into it again. Someone mentioned Peppi Marchello's voice in that previous post, and I strongly disagree. I really like his voice, plus really like the choruses.

A mention was made of the geetar playing as well. I think the geetaring here blows away the geetaring on that other album. Hey, it's my opinion WINW, so deal with it.

Now, even though I am free, I am going to have fun with the albums I post going forwards (at least until I get tired of it). On the track listing below, there will be one song in bold red, a song which I find to be awesomely fantastic. If you don't find the song awesomely fantastic, you've got some serious issues and I would like to know what your problem is.

So, enjoy freedom album #1!

Ratcity In Blue

1. Does It Make You Feel Good
2. Boardwalk Slasher
3. Ratcity in Blue
4. Reason To Kill
5. Writing The Pages
6. The Room
7. Almost Anything Goes
8. Advertisement In The Voice
9. Yellow Flower
10. Tough Guys
11. Hour Glass

Availability: A new copy, which includes the bonus track "Mean Mother", runs around $18.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

t'wasnt I who mentioned the unmentionable band, I do believe RJ is the culprit.  t'was I that mentioned the employment status one former lead singer from a band who's name may be too similar to this postings bands name.  Just sayin, t'werent I who instigated bad ju-ju.

Nope, 'twasn't thee.

If memory serves me correctly (and it usually does) I really liked the guitar tones from the previous Good Rats album post (and I didn’t even go back read my thoughts, trust me!), and this starts off with another nice sounding track.  The opening guitar sound and riff on Boardwalk Slasher instantly reminds me of an old Little River Band song, nothing but the riff, but it was an instant connection, even some of the vocal harmonies have a LRB feel.

Best song on here huh?  Well you may be onto something; this is actually pretty interesting.  Boogie, ska, rock and roll, maybe even a hint of some melodic prog?  Or maybe that’s thinking too much and its simply just playful and fun.  So far you are right, this is indeed the best song, will it hold up?

Reason To Kill is no challenger to the best song on here so far, though here again the guitar work is nicely done.  It’s the song writing on this one that’s the issue, the jam sessions within the songs are stellar though, I can see where this would be a great band to see play live.  Writing The Pages rocks, and is a contender, it would win if it was more bombastic, it really could use a larger bass presence, but that may be the mix and not the song.  But I like this one!  The Room is the required power ballad, the guitar break makes it feel much better than it really is.

Almost Anything Goes feels out of place, very short and poppy (with a disco break in the middle of it) they could’ve cut this one out IMO.  Advertisement In Voice is another power ballad, more traditional ballad as well.  Not bad but not the standout.  This must be the pop side of the album, though I admit the subject matter of what the Yellow Flower is a nice thought, the song on the other hand is a bit of an oddity.  This side of the album really took me off the happy path I was on.  Though that closer is kinda cool, but here again, only because the guitar creativeness and jam in the middle saves it.

Like this post and I have to agree with your red song, it is indeed the best one …

Not necessarily the best, just a song I believe to be..........AWESOME!

you know, its that goll-dern auto correct feature again...  when I typed "awesome" it changed it to "best".  So you see, the intent and spirit was exactly as you described it, but technology messed up the translation.  

So in summary ... not my fault.

I checked back to see what I said about the previous post.  Seems as though I like the guitar and bass but didn't think so much of the vocals.  

The album title is great.  And that first track is a pretty good start.  The guitar solo is boss, so maybe I was correct.  So far, through the first two tracks I'm not disliking the vocals.  They aren't brilliant but they aren't bad at all. Boardwalk Slasher is different in a good way.  Yep, the title track is a pretty hopping little tune.  It's very grand.  Touches of Yes, Golden Earring and of Ram Jam.  Guitars are phenomenal.  Siren sounds like the siren on Kiss Alive!  You know it does.

That drummer is pretty good too.  Was this band into showmanship?  I get that feeling from a track like Reason To Kill. Next up, a political track.  I love the lyric "now you've come to the end of the end".  Sometimes the guitar has a southern rock feel.  The Room is just a bit out of reach vocally, but still a good overall track.  Almost Anything Goes is a track that I don't think I'd like as a stand alone track, but it keeps the album moving along nicely.  I'm digging this for sure.

I just decided to listen to the last four tracks and quit writing.  Advertisement In The Voice keeps the good feelings going, but Yellow Flower and Tough Guys were the first missteps for me.  Hour Glass gets it back on track to close the album out.

Gotta say, with the exception of those two songs, this is one very interesting album.  Best post this year maybe.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos