Classic Rock Bottom

Well, we're going to make this quick since I've got some computer work to do.

It's the 1973 release from Budgie, Never Turn Your Back On A Friend.

Metallica likes 'em.

Budgie is from England.

Allmusic.com review:

Originally released in 1973 on MCA, Budgie's third record, Never Turn Your Back on a Friend, was another slab of the band's signature plodding metal sound. Although they were never more than a cult band in the U.S., Budgie's popularity flourished in their native England, yet their influence was eventually felt by many notable American bands (Metallica, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.). The mammoth riffs created by guitarist Tony Bourge are definitely on par with Black Sabbath riff master Tony Iommi, while vocalist/bassist Burke Shelley's voice is a cross between Robert Plant and early Geddy Lee. Drummers came and went (this would be original member Ray Phillips' last recording), but you'd never guess there would be a defection soon, judging from the tightness and interplay displayed on this album. One of their best-known tracks, "Breadfan" (later covered by Metallica), kicks off the album with rapid, almost speed metal, while the epic "Parents" closes the album sans the heavy metal thunder (the band chooses a more mid-paced and acoustic sound). The group also became notorious for coming up with profound (yet lighthearted) song titles, such as "In the Grip of a Tyrefitter's Hand" and "You're the Biggest Thing Since Powdered Milk." Recommended to anyone who finds solace in the metal forefathers (Sabbath, Zep, Hendrix, etc.).

Never Turn Your Back On A Friend

1. Breadfan
2. Baby Please Don't Go
3. You Know I'll Always Love You
4. You're The Biggest Thing Since Powdered Milk
5. In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand
6. Riding My Nightmare
7. Parents

Availability: Well, you can get the remastered album with bonus tracks for around $16, or get the MCA Albums 1973-1975 set which includes three remastered albums for less than $12.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the MCA set.

I think "Baby Please Dont Go" may have slight edge over Breadfan.  I didnt connect the dots to the Double Live Gonzo and ACDC versions until about a quarter the way through, cool cool tune.  But I have been sort of stuck in blues mode for quite some time lately anyway so it works well for me. 

By the way Breadfan is cool to!  Love the jam vibe, kinda feels like the band went in a cut it in on take, they sound that tight!

The one miss is You Know I'll Always Love You.  Way too '67/'68 hippie for me, but its short and its followed by a drum solo thats an intro to a song about powdered milk!    C'mon !!!  Who does that and makes it work?  This is the part where someone says something like they could jam to the phone book and make it work!  This is plug it in and crank it up while cruising the highway for long stretches music.  

Apparently there is such a thing as a Tyrefitter...  in England!  Tyre?  Really?  Tire...  makes a decent riff though!  Followed by a second acoustic tune, this one feels a bit more timeless, much better.  The gentle beat of Parents reels me in, love this one too!  Where have I been?  And quite frankly, Im stunned by the production on here, so good!

Bottom line, I hate powdered milk, but I like this!  A lot!  Gonna look into that MCA set...

Jon's not gonna like this at all, but I hear a couple of things that make me think of Kiss when I listen to this.  First, the sound effect on the drum solo at the beginning of the fourth track is very reminiscent of the effect on the Kiss Alive! drum solo.  Also, the groove or riff, whichever you want to call it, on the same song is similar to that on the Kiss song 100,000 Years.  It just so happens that 100,000 Years is the song that contains the drum solo on Kiss Alive!  So I'm thinking Kiss had to be influenced to some degree by Budgie.  Just sayin'.

The overall production is terrible, but typical of early 70's hard rock music.  I hear some definite prog influence here.  I'm certainly not a fan of the vocalist, but he does sound as described in the Allmusic review above.  You Know I'll Always Love You is a pretty nice change of pace and just a sweet song.  

Riding My Nightmare is a killer song title and a pretty good acoustic track to boot.  

Parents is another acoustic based tune, but with some great electric guitar playing.  It's a smooth little ditty.  It has a Zeppelinesque epicness to it.  I see a red line, I'm guessing epicness is not a word.  It's really just the singer's voice that keeps this closer to okay range than amazing range.  Scott may have to snag this for his next album closers SHT.  I love that electric guitar work so much.

I need to listen to each album in the MCA set, I just haven't done so.  I was thinking about posting one of those as AOTW, but since you posted this one, I'll move on.  Nice pick this week.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos