Classic Rock Bottom

While taking a break for the last two weeks of 2016, I briefly thought about that series that ran thru most of the year and, again briefly, thought about a new series featuring albums by artists that came out before they hit it big (at least in the US). So that's where we're here today. 

You Want It, You Got It is the second album from Bryan Adams, released in 1981. The album reached gold status in Canada but only reached #118 on the US charts. "Lonely Nights" was released as a single and did reach #3 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart while "Fits Ya Good" reached #15 on the same chart.

This was the release prior to 1983's Cuts Like A Knife which broke Bryan big time and he would break even bigger with the followup to that album. Eventually he would break away from allmusic.com, for those interested in stuff like that. 

I saw Bryan in concert, opening for the Kinks on their Give The People What They Want tour. I remember that nobody really cared about BA back then. Wonder if they look back at that night and think, "Hey, that guy was pretty.....decent?" 

Let's wrap this up with, yes, the allmusic.com review which no longer exists:

With its crystal-clear production, courtesy of Bob Clearmountain, You Want It, You Got It is state-of-the-art rock & roll of the post-Bruce Springsteen era: the guitars rev up, the bass drum is deeper than a well, the vocals are nasal and punky. The songs don't have the craft or commitment of Brian Adams' peers/competitors -- Springsteen, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp -- but you may not know it for the first few spins, just because the sound is so hot and infectious, and by then it may not matter. Actually, this is a much more enjoyable record in many respects than the rock & roll assembly line products Adams constructed once he hit the arenas. As it was, with this one, he was on his way. All he did later was take this approach and make it slicker.

You Want It, You Got It

1. Lonely Nights
2. One Good Reason
3. Don't Look Now
4. Coming Home
5. Fits Ya Good
6. Jealousy
7. Tonight
8. You Want It, You Got It
9. Last Chance
10. No One Makes It Right

Availability: A used copy can be had for less than $5.

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wait a minute... I thought you disliked BA at least as much as Allmusic does now... and now you're featuring both? Is this opposite week?

Did you know… Uriah Heep covered Lonely Nights? Yup it’s true…

I first heard about Adams when Cuts Like A Knife came out, what a stunning album and the title track still kills! Actually, seen him on his Reckless tour and he was very good. His trifecta, holy trinity of Adams release if you will, culminated with Into The Night which is a very strong and underrated album, may be his best…

Did you know… Jealousy was co-written by Prism guitarist Lindsay Mitchell and can also be found on their Armageddon album? Yup it’s true…

Hard to argue that Fits Ya Good deserves the coveted RED font position on here though one could make an argument for Lonely Nights or Coming Home which has a very distinct Timothy B Schmidt feel to it (may be something to that but I can’t find it)

Did you know… Tonight was covered by Randy Meisner? Yup it’s true…

Fine post sir, a long overdue homage to great Canadian artist, we should post more of his work, don’t ya think?

Did you know… Jon actually likes Bryan Adams? Me neither, but yup, it’s true…

Yeah, that Uriah Heep tidbit o' info is old newz. Was posted on this here site awhile back.

Nope. That's it for BA this year. Sorry?

You've made Oprah very upset with this last comment...  You're going to have to fix this!

Yeah......no.

Image result for oprah mad gif

Gave this a listen tonight.  It's not a bad listen, not great either.  Funny, at times it doesn't even sound like him singing. Like on Coming Home.  The last time I heard a new song from him, which I think was a couple of years ago, he sounded kind of like that.  I guess I'm just used to the heavy gravel.

I have heard that first track.  When I read the track listing before listening, I didn't recognize any of the tracks by name. But I did recognize that right off.  

Overall, this album, at least the first couple of songs, sounds like it could be a John Cougar album.  Not sure why, I just get that vibe.  

Fits Ya Good might be the best song here.  It sounds like it would have fit perfect on the Cuts Like A Knife album.

Jealousy sounds like it was written by Bruce Springsteen.  Just sayin'.

I take back my earlier statement, I think Tonight is the best song on the album.

Decent listen, good pick for the week.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos