Classic Rock Bottom

For the second in a series of artists that only released one album, this week's pick is the 1982 release from The Nitecaps, Go To The Line.

Not much info on the band (except in the allmusic.com review) but they might have been in "Smithereens", a movie released in 1982. And, no, it's not about the band that shares the same name. 

Kinda reminds me of a party album, something along the lines of J. Geils Band, but with lots of horns, but not like Chicago. It also reminds me of Joe Jackson in some parts.

I do like the geetar. It is "tight and crisp".

Well, there you go. Now for allmusic.com:

The Nitecaps had a pretty respectable pedigree for fans of early New York punk -- lead singer and guitarist Jahn Xavier had been a member of Richard Hell's Voidoids under the name Xcessive, bassist Peter Jordan was a roadie for the New York Dolls who took over for Arthur Kane in the latter days of the band, and drummer Sammy Brown was in Stumblebunny alongside Jordan. But the Nitecaps were an updated R&B show band, playing lean, soul-influenced rock & roll with the help of a four-piece horn section (who, as the Uptown Horns, would go on to a successful career of their own). The Nitecaps' first album, 1982's Go to the Line, makes it clear that this was a very good band -- Xavier could sing R&B with the passionate swagger of a New York rock & roller, guitarist Al Maddy's leads were tight and crisp, and Jordan and Brown were a rhythm section that could groove solid or kick out the jams at will. The horn arrangements give the songs all the punch and dynamics they need, and the production by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley is roomy and powerful. The only problem is that the songs on Go to the Line aren't especially good; it's unfortunately significant that the most memorable tunes are covers ("Give Me One More Chance" by Wilmer Alexander, Jr. & the Dukes and a closing medley of songs by the Zombies and the Easybeats), and that for all the energy and chops on display on this record, most of the songs never quite take off. There are more than a few solid moments on Go to the Line, but it's unfortunate that a group as talented as the Nitecaps couldn't have had the good sense to recruit a songwriter as gifted as the bandmembers were.

Go To The Line

1. Same Situation
2. Go To The Line
3. Hot Pavement
4. Can't Let One More Day Go By
5. Somebody Cares
6. Give Me One More Chance
7. Little Too Long
8. Black Tears
9. The New Me
10. Is This The Dream? / Good Times

Availability: New copy available for less than $6.

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You scared me when I opened this and the word 'Smithereens' jumped off the page to me.  That was a close call!  Thankfully you're right about The J. Geils comparison, at least I can tolerate them.

After that opener I get the feeling that 'Hot Hot Hot part 2' coming up somewhere, that's not a good thing!  Also has a Southside Johnny feel, at least during his poppy period - thats the most favorable comparison I can come up with, otherwise this 100% bar band material, best played live while drinking and browsing for chicks! (Not that I ever did that, I just know some people do and this is good background noise for that kind of activity especially whilst in the NorthEast)

As far as the music goes, its frenetic with disco beats and a horn section that doesn't really complement whats happening.  By track 4 I'm lost in the sameness that gets broken up by track 5 being a ballad and then were back to the vocal freneticness and strange beats.

Weird album!  I can see why you like the closer for your red track, but I'd go with Black Tears as the more correct red track.  Now wheres my real nightcap?

The Nitecaps.  Nope, never heard of 'em.  

There is usually a pretty good reason that a band makes only one album.  Maybe they suck.  Maybe they were awesome but just couldn't stand to be around each other.  Maybe they were mediocre but the record label went belly up.

The reasons could go on forever.  

This doesn't suck, but it didn't really do anything for me either.  There are a lot of horns.  A lot.  I don't dislike horns in general, but sometimes they can be too much.  This seemed to have a lot of different influences, including r&b, soul, blues and rock.  Rock in the style of Huey Lewis and the News maybe, but not nearly as good as those guys.  I don't think the singer was particularly good.

Anyway, I guess we'll be hearing a lot of bands we've never heard of this year.  Bring 'em on, sooner or later, you are bound to hit on something...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos