Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection is the second in a series of albums that don't have anything to do with the other series. You know, that series that you're really diggin'.

Fludd is/was a Canadian band and this is their first album, released in 1971. It's self-titled so the album title should be pretty much self-explanatory. "Turned 21" was released as a single and reached #16 in Canada with the album reaching #58.

There is a connection to an album I posted way back in September of 2013. See if you can figure it out, but I'll give you a hint: the bassist for Fludd was Greg Godovitz.

No album review on allmusic.com, but there is a brief biography for your reading pleasure:

Brothers Brian and Ed Pilling, previous members of the Wages of the Sin, formed Fludd in 1969 with Jorn Anderson and Greg Godovitz. Peter Czankey was recruited in 1972 and Gord Waszek joined two years later. Though the band's first two singles were for Warner Brothers, they moved to Daffodil for the self-titled 1972 debut and On!, also in 1972. Great Expectations was issued in 1976 for Attic, but the band broke up when Brian Pilling died of cancer in 1978. The greatest hits collection From the Attic '71 to '77 appeared in 1977. Greg Godovitz later formed Goddo.

Note: Unlike Scott, no wiki was used. 

Fludd

1. Turned 21
2. Sailing On
3. David Copperfield
4. The Egg
5. Come Back Home
6. A Man Like You
7. Birmingham
8. Mama's Boy
9. Easy Being No One
10. Make It Better
11. You See Me
12. Tuesday Blue

Availability: Appears to be OOP, but a used copy can still  be had for around $17 and new for around $24.

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never heard of this band either.  That's not always a bad thing.  It's nice to make an occasional "personal discovery". The album cover has me thinking sort of a folk rock thing, maybe like America or something like that.

But that's not really what I get after listening.  It's definitely in the easy listening category.  But some of it is quite upbeat and poppy.  

But I can't say any of it resonates with me.  While it's not bad, it's not anything that I feel the need to listen to again. But that's what's cool about this forum.  I get to hear stuff that's new to me.  Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.  Heck, I even pick one of these baby's up from time to time.  The first one that comes to my mind that I picked up specifically because of the Jon Stephenson forum on CRB is Lee Saunders.  Can't think of the album name at the moment, but I know it was Lee Saunders. 

Neither did I hear of this band before, but they seem to be a typical Beat ensemble. You know: long hair, short songs. In fact, if the songs were any shorter, they would be considered as commercial jingles. That being said, my fellow countrymen didn't disappoint. Turned 21, stands out as a memorable track, but all the other songs are easy on my ears as well.

Mr. Chapleen, our esteemed new member, is 100% spot on, this is a beats band, a mop top early 70’s jingle ensemble. It’s a very mellow affair, though I will confess, this is the very first song I’ve ever heard about an Egg!

It’s like the songs are over just as they begin! I don’t think I get the America reference, but I do hear a poor mans version of Bread! The closers practically an epic! Coming in at 3 minutes and 21 seconds…

Kinda think the more deserving RED song belongs to The Egg, afterall it is breakfast time

You actually have no say on the red track, so stop trying to make it a "thing".

Mormon!!!!

Heathen!!!!

I didn't hear America, I just got that vibe from the album cover.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos