Classic Rock Bottom

The series is now up to album #11!

Before we really begin, let's check out the allmusic.com review so you know what you're getting into:

Beast is a Canadian duo of singer Betty Bonifassi and composer/producer Jean-Phi Goncalves. Together they create what they call "trip rock," an energetic sound composed of programmed hip-hop beats, rocking guitars, and half-sung, half-spoken vocals by Bonifassi that ends up reminding an angrier version of trip-hop. Their self-titled debut record was issued in 2008 and was warmly received by critics.

The self-titled album featured this week is the debut album from Colorado-based Beast (or The Beast) released in 1969. They did release another album in 1970 and then were no more. However, they did open for The Who in 1968.

Wait..What???

Something doesn't add up here.

Well, you can click here to get the REAL story of Beast.

Beast

1. Prelude for Today
2. Floating (Down By The River)
3. Spaceman
4. Alley Sam (I Feel a Change)
5. Goin' Downtown
6. Listen/Cannabis Sativa L
7. Ev'ry Man Hears Different Music
8. Love Like
9. Dear Ruth
10. When We Rise
11. (Strange Places Like) Santo Domingo
12. On My Way
13. Treat Her Right
14. Wow Wow

Availability: $4 new. Nice bargain.

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it wrong to wish this was about that later version of the band all music described?

Because if it is, I don't want to be right.

At least, they are Canadians and I think I read there somewhere "angry". None of that is going for these guys.

Well, it is what it is... and let's just see what that actually is?

Looking through the song titles one peaked my curiosity. The "Strange Places". First I thought this might be a kinky sex song, but I'm glad the assumption was wrong. Well, not really, but allow me to elaborate. It started out with some great Cabasa. Truly a fine example of the musicianship. I think we need a song where Cowbells and Cabasa trade-off in an extended solo. And everything was going fine until some moron thought he should be tuning up the sitar for the next song. Of all the places he could have done that, he chose the STRANGEST PLACE: throughout the WHOLE SONG!!! Let me tell you, he was at it for a good while and his sitar didn't sound better than when he started. The poor Cabasa tried to outloud it, (it's a word, deal with it) but sadly this moron was too close to the microphone. Oh well, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, all this talk about Cabasa makes me hungry.

OK, let's move on.

I can't remember which song, but this one particular song had the next line:

"God respects me when I work, But he loves me when I sing."

???

Not true.

I never said that.

Image result for 60's dance gif

That's a sizzling clarinet on that RED track!  I'll give you that, other than that this is definitely a period piece.  A real slice of the late 60's.  I've no idea what 2008 has to do with this band, have you tried to read their website?  Ugh....

The website is quite colorful, man.

Surprised you didn't get into the hippity-hoppity beats.

May have to revisit...  My wife is still sleeping so this was played on low volume...

Or maybe you'll figure out where you went very, very wrong.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos