Classic Rock Bottom

Considering that the last (or first) Moon Martin post went over so well, we're going to feature another Moon Martin album this week which makes it the 12th album in the series or even the second album in the series. So, it's a two-fer in many different ways. 

Escape From Domination is the second album from Moon Martin and was released in 1979. It reached #80 on the Billboard chart and contained two singles that charted with "Rolene" hitting #30 and "No Chance" peaking at #50.  

No aliens are mentioned in any of the songs. That's strange.

What's not so strange is the allmusic.com review:

Craig Leon produced the Ramones, Lisa Burns, Willie Alexander and the Boom Boom Band, and other groups in the mid-'70s during the new wave movement. This album by Moon Martin was recorded mostly at Suntreader Studios in Sharon, VT, as was the work Leon did with Alexander and Burns. Eleven originals and one cover all fall within the two minutes and 40 seconds to three-and-a-half minute compact range for the singer's essays. "Rolene" and "Dreamer" have charm, and Martin keeps things interesting with a Henry Gross-type vocal which falls somewhere between John Denver and Elvis Costello. Craig Leon's production is thin, but it works well enough for Moon Martin to get his point across. "No Chance" is an interesting song of love that isn't gonna happen, personal lyrics with new wave power pop sensibilities. As Phil Spector took the Ramones a step further than Craig Leon, Martin's music as heard here seems like it was tailor-made for cult status. In the hands of a singer/producer like Robert Palmer, Martin's material charted, as was the case with "Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)," a song from his previous disc, Shots From a Cold Nightmare. Radio was not enamored of the brittle guitar and compressed drum sounds many of the '70s' artists were saddled with. Even the rendition of Fontaine Brown's "Bootleg Woman" has this high-end sound, but guitarist Jude Cole, bassist Dennis Croy, and drummer Rick Croy provide tight accompaniment to the modern-day Buddy Holly-style musings. "The Feeling's Right" has that Nick Lowe feel; it's just too bad this excellent song doesn't have Lowe's production to go along with it. Still, it's a good effort.

Escape From Domination

1. I've Got A Reason
2. She Made A Fool Of You
3. Dreamer
4. Gun Shy
5. Hot House Baby
6. The Feeling's Right
7. Rolene
8. No Chance
9. Dangerous
10. Bootleg Woman

Availability: The CF remaster (featured here) is available for around $9 new.

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I liked his first album you posted here and I like this one more, even though none of the songs have a hit potential. Well, perhaps the opening track does... a little. However the whole album is more focused than his previous effort.

It's a good listen.

Rolene hit the US charts and I vaguely remember it...

Culture Factory does a great job but these Moon Martin album sound thin, but maybe that's just his style?  The songs are somewhat catchy, certainly as a songwriter he has something to offer pop artists.  Bad Case of Loving is a great song, but Palmer did it better.  As for his appearance, well, just take a look at the cover, doesn't exactly scream rock and roll!  So then here we are trying to hear exactly what Moon Martin has, songwriting potential...

The album is nearly distortionless, again this seems to be a style choice, but could use some more, again I'll cite the Bad Case tune, seems so much better rocked up.  Maybe that's the rub?  Who knows, this is interesting, even quite good at moments, but certainly it falls short of being purchaseable.

I really re-connected with Rolene, it gave me flashbacks.  Maybe we should speak of Moon more favorably when it comes to the One Hit Wonder conversations.  Its easily the Cherry pick of the post with No Chance a close second!!!  But that's about it...

Cool post though!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos