Classic Rock Bottom

Considering that the previous Billy Thorpe posts went over so horribly, we're going to feature another BT album this week which makes it the 17th album in the series or even the third album in that there series. So, it's a three-fer in a few very different ways.

To make it easier on you and me, let's go with the album review from amazon.com:

Here it is. Finally. Billy Thorpe's musical opus, TANGIER. a decade in the making, TANGIER is a work of breathtaking scope. It is the final defining statement in the extraordinary music career of the late, great Billy Thorpe. TANGIER is a hypnotic, beautiful, bewildering musical trip. Prepare to be swept away on an aural journey like no other, bringing together dozens of musicians from different cultures, orchestras, choirs, epic symphonic pieces from another time and place, other worldly sounds and rhythms, rock jams, funk outs, unforgettable ballads. Centre stage in this musical maelstrom is the unmistakable voice and spirit of the irrepressible and visionary Billy Thorpe. Sadly, of course, the irrevocable heartbreaking fact at the core of the story behind TANGIER, the unavoidable void, is that the great Billy Thorpe himself cannot be here with US to bask in the fruition of his expansive labour. However, in TANGIER, Billy Thorpe has left US a truly extraordinary work. It is the pinnacle of an unparalleled career spanning five decades - from a child star in Brisbane in the 1950s, Australia's biggest pop star in the '60s, our biggest rock star in the early '70s, a new wave rocker in America in the '80s, a best-selling author back in Australia in '90s, star and producer of the Long Way to the Top tour in the '00s. For all that music and history and experience, Billy knew TANGIER would define his legacy. He had road-tested several of the songs during live shows and the immediate reaction from his audiences was incomparable to anything he'd ever experienced. Billy spent his final years obsessed with TANGIER. #in early 2007, he was all set to finish it. After seven years of tireless work and refinement, after literally thousands of hours of writing and demoing and recording the many multilayered elements that go to the breadth of TANGIER, he was very nearly there. But then the unfathomable. In the early hours of 28 February 2007, the world lost Billy Thorpe. And time stood still. In the wake of the national and international mourning that followed, once the shell-shock started to subside, some of Billy's closest friends and music associates began discussions with his family about the idea of completing TANGIER on Billy's behalf. Everyone who knew Billy knew that TANGIER meant the world to him. With this resolve, a conglomerate of family, friends, musicians, music industry heavyweights and a couple of superstars set about piecing together and putting the finishing touches to Billy Thorpe's almost finished masterpiece. And now, finally, here it is. Billy Thorpe's TANGIER. ARIA Award winning producer Daniel Denholm was brought in to pull all the pieces together. Daniel, a celebrated composer and arranger in his own right, set about reconstructing Billy's vision. More extraordinary multinational players from around Australia and the world were brought into the mix. Among them, the great Mick Fleetwood, Billy Thorpe's former band mate in the early-'90s LA rock outfit, the Zoo. Other guest performers on TANGIER include Egypt's Tawadros brothers, Venezuelan-born flautist Pedro Eustache, Sydney violinist Richard Tognetti, as well as Australian singers Vanessa Amorosi, Brian Cadd, Connie Mitchell, Ian Moss and Melinda Schneider.

Tangier

1. Marrakesh
2. A River Knows
3. Since You've Been Gone
4. Gypsy
5. Tangier
6. Fatima
7. Long Time
8. In A New World
9. We Will Be There
10. Out Of Here

Availability: New around $16 and used around $13.

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never heard of this one.

That review sets the expectations high and the first track meets it with ease. The second song is my favorite with almost a reciting deep frontal voice and a softer singing in the background. It also reminded me of Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down The Crazy River" (Ha, even the song titles have some similarities.) But then song #3 got me worried. Was that big production only applied to the first two songs? Fortunately, Gypsy was interesting and the title track was basked in New Age elements like the track I liked the most on this CD. So we were back in business. The red track has a very nice BG vocals and arrangements. Blends in nicely to the better instrumental track on the CD, too.

The last three tracks ran out of gas.

Very different Billy Thorpe album from the rest of his releases, mainly for the great production. They sure did good job on that.

Well that is a damn depressing story to read.  I truly had no idea.  I'm sort of torn.  Is it better for someone to finish a work by another artist or just leave it alone?  Can't say for sure.  I mean, it's not truly just his work is it?  

Anyway, this is damn good.  I have enjoyed you posting his work.  Not really sure about your introductory remark, but then again I rarely understand what the f you are talkin' 'bout.  But you have good taste in music (sometimes).  I want some Billy Thorpe now.  I'd really like to find some inexpensive vinyl.  

That first track is badass.  Great guitar and great epic feel to it.  I just signed into Pandora on my smart ass tv, and I created a Billy Thorpe station.  First song up, Marrakesh.  This is the third time I've heard that track today.

The red track seems to be well chosen.  

And I think the closer adds a certain grandiosity to the album.  I could hear that being a fine hit for one of these country rock acts with great harmonies.

I'm guessing the spoken tracks are the unfinished ones.  I actually like the feel that the spoken tracks lend to the overall work.  Makes it feel like a concept of some sort.

Excellent post!

Been wanting to hear this all week, just haven’t had the chance… And it’s no disappointment! This may be LFAOTW post of the year! At least a front runner for sure…

Production is stellar, styles seem to flow well and are very interesting. Song writing is solid and his vocals are spot on! And can’t believe I’m going to say this but the RED track is spot on as well. The Cherry pick gets a one-week reprieve!

Only fuss I have is the In A New World reprieve was too long, seemed like they could’ve accomplished that in at least half the time…

I actually liked the closer a good but as well, it had a real Anathema feel to it , which I know Niels would appreciate as well…

Nice post!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos