Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection is not only the 18th in a series, but I think this could also be considered a request? I don't know for sure since I really don't read anything that anyone else posts on this site. I just skim the first couple of words in the first paragraph and forget about all the rest. That's called speed reading, folks. If you want to learn, just let me know and I'll let you know where to send the check. 

So we have the 1985 release from Phantom, Rocker & Slick. That would be Lee Rocker, Slim Jim Phantom and Earl Slick for those that don't or even didn't know. Yes, Rocker & Phantom were part of Stray Cats and I believe someone might have posted something about Earl Slick last week?

The album reached #62 on the Billboard charts and "Men Without Shame" met with some chart success and also was featured quite a bit on MTV. Of course it wasn't the FULL version.......

Good ole rock n roll album, I must say. Let's see what allmusic.com says (and I wonder if they'll mention anything about a certain song's length???):

Upon the disintegration of the Stray Cats in 1984, bassist Lee Rocker and drummer Slim Jim Phantom joined with guitarist Earl Slick to form Phantom, Rocker & Slick. The new trio released their self-titled debut in 1985. With Rocker's tough lead vocals and Slick's biting guitar leading the way, Phantom, Rocker & Slick played an edgy, modern update of 1950s-style rockabilly and rock & roll. The overall sonic key is Slick, who played on David Bowie's mid-1970s albums and was a member of Silver Condor. The best song by far on Phantom, Rocker & Slick is "Men Without Shame," a swaggering 6 1/2-minute jolt of pure electricity. Slick alternates between piercing solo licks and chugging rhythm riffs with whammy-bar dives and warbles adding punch along the way. The chorus is quite catchy too. "Men Without Shame" garnered some rock radio airplay, but it never charted as a single. Old-fashioned 1950s- and 1960s-style rock & roll is embodied in "What You Want," "My Mistake" (which features Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards) and "Runnin' From the Hounds." The two best ballads on the album are "No Regrets" (with prolific guest pianist Nicky Hopkins) and the bittersweet "Lonely Actions." Phantom, Rocker & Slick, as of mid-2001, wasn't available on CD, but the flaccid edit of "Men Without Shame" appears on Guitar Gods, a 1998 EMI-Capitol Special Markets budget compilation. Why put the chopped version -- with most of Slick's fascinating guitar work largely missing -- on something titled Guitar Gods? That was dumb. Phantom, Rocker & Slick released one more album, 1986's Cover Girl, before breaking up.

Phantom, Rocker & Slick

1. What You Want
2. My Mistake
3. Hollywood Distractions
4. No Regrets
5. Well Kept Secret
6. Men Without Shame
7. Runnin' From The Hounds
8. Time Is On My Hands
9. Sing For Your Supper
10. Lonely Actions

Availability: Around $17 new. Yes, Scott. It's from Rock Candy.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can mirror that sentiment about the Man Without Shame cut version, from allmusic.

Thanks for posting this, Jon. Reading the review, previously listening to MWS plus the two members coming from Strait Cats the expectation was high for a full blown overwhelming feeling of Rockabilly. (Really like the style, and 80's had some great acts to offer in that department)

However that great feeling didn't come from the beginning of the record. The opening 3 tracks were OK and not Rockabilly at all, but still fine. It's the No Regret that got me worried. Is this a one good track album? Fortunately the tides turned with Well Kept Secret and the band had a good streak until the closing track, which again wasn't bad for a ballad but confirmed my bafflement of the albums sequencing.

5 out of 10 ain't bad. Now I got to fill my quota of Rockabilly with Shakin' Stevens... or is that the next weeks album? In which case I'll wait.

Didn't you and Gordon bond over this album?  Or was it some other Phantom act?  hahaha.  And maybe it wasn't Gordon but I'm goll-darn sure it wasn't Bossman because there's been no bonding there, just collusion ...

Image result for just the facts gif

Is he really a bonafide drummer or "snare and cymbal player extraordinaire"?  Wait is that a bass drum?  I still don't hear any toms...  I was never a Stray Cats fan so nothing from them or any splinter group would've caught my eye or interest, and since this album finds itself in the Lost/Forgotten category of works I would say I'm comfortably in the majority.

First three tracks are kinda like one big run on tune.  Pretty familiar styles, thankfully they change it up right when it starts wear on you.  But did the ballad doesn't really change my opinion so far.  Its thin in production and the songs are better than average but that just puts this into the good range.  Nothing really leaping out yet...

Well Kept Secret is actually the first one I liked, maybe it was the guitar work, ya that's what it was.  Kinda saved it.  Ah the infamous RED song, usually wrong, but on rare occasions it agreeable, will it be two weeks in a row?  Um, this riff is extremely familiar!!  This must be the required single.  Yup it is.  I like it, dammit Jon! Time Is On My Hands has some cool geetar work as well, but while it is Cherry red geetar work, the song falls short of the "single".

Two weeks in a row youre right on the red track.  When are you going to get back to your regular wrong ways?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos