Classic Rock Bottom

Well, it's been awhile since we've had some so-called "yacht rock" which makes it the perfect time for the 19th album in that series that doesn't necessarily feature "yacht rock" but there's no specialized series for this so we're just going to lump it in with those other 18 albums in that series.

Note that this is Alan Parsons and NOT The Alan Parsons Project. Those who have been on this site for awhile know that, without a doubt, that APP is more "yacht rock" than AP, but AP is still "yacht rock". Right?

This album, titled The Time Machine, was released in 1999 and doesn't seem to have made much of a dent on the charts. That's understandable since 1999 sure wasn't the time for some of that "yacht rock"!!!!!

Don't know it this album went OOP quite quickly, but it is quite difficult to get a copy of this at a reasonable price.

Let's have allmusic.com close this out so I can get outta here. I have some yachting to do. 

The Time Machine by Alan Parsons actually features very little musical input from Parsons himself, who produced and engineered the album. No matter, because this concept album about the passage of time -- and the triumphs, mistakes, regrets, and memories associated with it -- is Parsons' best work of the '90s. It blends Parsons' traditional prog rock and pop/rock leanings with a bit of techno. The real stars are guitarist/saxophonist/keyboardist/bassist Ian Bairnson and drummer/keyboardist Stuart Elliott, both longtime Alan Parsons Project cohorts who individually wrote most of this album's songs. Other Parsons veterans on The Time Machine include vocalists Colin Blunstone, Chris Rainbow, and Neil Lockwood. "The Time Machine (Part 1)" is a wonderful instrumental complete with dreamy acoustic guitar lines and a steady drum-machine rhythm. Spandau Ballet vocalist Tony Hadley tastefully restrains his past histrionics for "Out of the Blue." Blunstone is featured on the hypnotic "Ignorance Is Bliss," which also contains tasteful piano and orchestral flourishes. "The Call of the Wild" has a warm, Celtic feel thanks to the vocals by Clannad's Máire Brennan and a sprinkling of Northumbrian pipes. "No Future in the Past" and "Press Rewind" are the album's most distinctive pop/rock numbers. Beverley Craven provides the vocals on the lush, bittersweet ballad "The Very Last Time." "Far Ago and Long Away" is a densely arranged instrumental with an overtly techno flavor. The Time Machine will definitely please die-hard Parsons fans.

The Time Machine

1. The Time Machine (Part 1)
2. Temporalia
3. Out Of The Blue
4. Call Up
5. Ignorance Is Bliss
6. Rubber Universe
7. The Call Of The Wild
8. No Future In The Past
9. Press Rewind
10. The Very Last Time
11. Far Ago And Long Away
12. The Time Machine (Part 2)

Availability: Many different versions out there, it can be found for around $20 used and quite a bit more $$$ new. 

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah the old Tried and True formula for an APP album..  you know..

• Opens with a cool spacy instrumental
  • maybe some spoken word

The curve ball here is the Spandau Ballet guy.  All I hear I in the back of my head is True.  Its not a terrible tune though and he does sing in tune.  

His real masterpiece still is "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe", even though this same formula has been used (with some minor variations) its still an interesting method of putting an album together.  But the first time is was used still holds the special meaning with me.  Call U (seems someone typo'd the track name in this post) has a nice funk to it, I like the riff and the guitar though brief its a pretty slick tune!

A very melancholy track you've picked as the RED track, is this a new kinder, gentler Jon?  Its a very nice tune by the way.  Alas, the album plays out quite predictably, but that's not a good or bad thing in the case of an APP album, but in this case it does not equate to a purchase.  But it does extend the agreement on RED tracks to too many ...  Please Jon, next week be wrong again?

Well, it's NOT an APP album.

right...  but it sounds like one...

my "P" key was stuck... 

Someone - who shall go unnamed - asked me if I heard the "APP" album you posted, must've been some sort of subliminal typo...

My wife walked in at the exact moment I was typing the first "P", she must've distracted me long enough that I camped on the "P" long enough to type out two of them...

My grandson was in the other room telling my wife he had to go PP... and somehow I transposed the message here

A question in another forum was asked about band names that start with more than one of the same letter and I was thinking about Planet P Project, and somehow I typed two PP's in your post.  I'm a multi-tasker what can I say!

Wow. Someone was bored today.

Hell, even YR man got the name right.

YR MAN!!!!!

Makes you feel kind of.....small?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox