Classic Rock Bottom

Just in time for Thanksgiving, it's the third album in that series. It's probably that series you've forgotten about, but this fits in quite nicely today (well, as long as today is Thursday 11/23/17).

This week's (or today's) album pick is the 1982 release from Freddie Salem & The WIldcats, Cat Dance.  You may know Freddie from his stint with The Outlaws or maybe The Chambers Brothers. Maybe other bands and/or artists.

Anyway, what makes this album so special is that everyone knows that the pilgrims landed in Salem and were devoured by wild cats who then danced in a field of corn and Thanksgiving was born! That's right, we here in the US celebrate a holiday where hungry cats mauled a bunch of explorers and then did the Lambada or another ritualistic dance to celebrate. It's almost like Thanksgiving is more of a pagan holiday than Halloween. 

Silly US.

No album review on allmusic and I want to end this quickly since I need to do some ritualistic celebrating of my own. But, this does seriously rock.

Cat Dance

1. Dark Horizon / London Town
2. Open My Eyes
3. Long Gone
4. Sunset
5. Got The Feelin'
6. Evil For Evil
7. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
8. Monica

Availability: Around $11 new or used.

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pretty consistent album from start to the end. And it has an Instrumental too. I like it.

The best part was the female vocalist on Got The Feelin'. That's what I call singing from the heart. She sounds a bit like Foley (from Meat Loaf), but I'm pretty sure that's not her.

I only have one question, though. Are you stalking me?

I put up an album with Myron Grombacher on drums, then you do the same thing. What's wrong with you?

Oh... This is the third album in the series that makes a reference to Dance.

Good thing the cat wore a mask, otherwise someone could have recognized it, But not me, because to me, all cats look the same. (They taste same too. Like chickens... Cough... So I heard.)

I have to say I do like it when an artist/band opens an album with a slow song.  And even though the song didn't exactly stay slow all the way through, it was still quite epic and very impressive.  Open My Eyes is a cover, right?  I think maybe it's The Nazz.  I heard the original version (I guess it's the original) on the radio a while back.  The song is awesome and it made me want the album it was on originally, but I think all of their stuff is out of print and not nicely priced.  Anyway, good cover, although it sounds like it doesn't fit at all with the opener.

The rest of the album surely rocks, but it's not all that interesting.  The only other song besides the first two that grabs my attention at all is Rock 'N' Roll Woman.  I think he was out of gas at this point seeing as how the album ended with a lackluster instrumental.

So, three good songs, which certainly doesn't make it the best LFAOTW post this year.  Probably not the worst either.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos