Classic Rock Bottom

Who? Deborah Bonham

When? 2004

Album title? The Old Hyde

Is she related to John Bonham? Yes, as his sister. 

Allmusic.com review ? Yes

Over 15 years separate Deborah Bonham's debut album from this, her sophomore set, but she remains instantly recognizable all the same. Her voice is a little more lived-in, perhaps, and her delivery a lot more assured, but still the dynamo who succeeded so brilliantly across For You and the Moon sparks and sparkles across The Old Hyde, to deliver one of the best blues-rock albums of the early 21st century. Self-composed for the most part, but striking especial gold across covers of "Need Your Love So Bad" and Ike Turner's "Black Coffee," Old Hyde is reminiscent in places of Maggie Bell; "No Angel" could almost be a lost Stone the Crows classic. But it's only a fleeting resemblance...as close as Bonham's self-composed "Go Now" is to the Bessie Banks blues of the same name. Similarly, the harder rocking instincts that drive the bulk of the album are derailed on a regular basis, with the mandolin-driven reggae lilt of "Open Up Your Heart" and the acoustic ballad "Without You" stepping especially far out to shatter preconceptions. Add guest appearances from brother Jason Bonham, bassist (and producer) Mo Foster, Robbie McIntosh and Mick Fleetwood, and that lineup alone lets you know that The Old Hyde mines some remarkable seams. Thirteen tracks strong, with not a bummer in sight...

The Old Hyde

1. Shit Happens
2. Anything
3. Go Now
4. Need Your Love So Bad
5. Black Coffee
6. No Angel
7. Devil's In New Orleans
8. What We've Got
9. Open Up Your Heart
10. Without You
11. Religion
12. Ten Steps Back
13. The Old Hyde

Availability: Around $12 new or used, it also comes with three bonus tracks (not included here).

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I cannot say that I have any familiarity with Deborah Bonham.  I will say I recently saw a used CD with her name on it, but I do not remember if it was this one or her debut.

Either way, this didn't really do much for me.  It is certainly blues oriented, at times too much so.  On some songs she just wales and wales to an annoying end.  

The guitar work is good as would be expected on a blues album.  But over the first three quarters of the album, it just never got working for me.  The last three songs were easily the best stretch here.  

Wales? Like the country?

No, like the Outlaw Josey...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos