Classic Rock Bottom

Who? The Charlie Daniels Band

When? 2000

Album title? Road Dogs

Allmusic.com review? Yes.

Not since Fire on the Mountain has the Charlie Daniels Band delivered a record so emotionally charged with screaming guitars and real, honest to goodness Southern-style rock & roll. From the opening chords of the ultimate rock-band-on-the-road tune, "Road Dogs," it is obvious that this release is neither a straight gospel recording like Steel Witness nor a country flavored album like Same Old Me. This is Charlie's hottest rocking recording in many years and a breath of clear, fresh air. Not that there was anything wrong with his previous endeavors. Each had its own set of high points and bits of musical genius, but Road Dogs rocks.

"Ain't No Law in California" is an especially memorable rebel yell of a song, with Charlie belting out "Welcome to the wild wild west." "Sidewinder" is more than a little reminiscent of the very best Allman Brothers Band instrumental, featuring triple-lead guitars, overlapping in smooth, tight harmony with all the flavor of a Mexicalli road trip.

At the age of 63, Charlie Daniels has returned to his Southern rock roots and sounds as good as ever. This is one old road dog who isn't even considering curling up on the porch and letting life pass him by. He's rockin,' but it's not in a rocking chair, it's behind a Gibson guitar.

Road Dogs

1. Road Dogs
2. Ain't No Law in California
3. Even up the Score
4. Across the Line
5. The Martyr
6. How Much I Love You
7. Wild Wild Young Men
8. Sidewinder
9. Standing in the Rain
10. It's About Time
11. Sail Away

Availability: Around $10 new or used. 

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is what a "no country flavored album" sounds like?
Let's call it then "no country flavored" - country album. That and a bluegrass.

I like my grass green.
And just like I don't like the grass being greener on the other side, I don't like bluegrass either.
It reminds me of a cheese that is blue in color. And that stinks.

Sidewinder is OK... I guess.
Doesn't say much, though, when everything else here will make even "Friday" sound like "Symphony No.5".

I don't have very much CDB in my collection.  I've been planning on adding to it for quite a while now, but I have yet to do so.

That being said, this is fair.  Actually, the first half is quite good.  Even Up The Score and Across The Line are easily the best tracks here.  And I will say that, true to the spirit of southern rock music, this album is covered from top to bottom in awesome lead guitar work.  I think today's music needs more featured lead guitar work.  That's what I think.

One last thing, How Much I Love You is one of the worse songs I've ever heard.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos