Classic Rock Bottom

Megadeth returned to the scene with their fifteenth studio recording entitled Dystopia earlier this year.  The band has been turning out new music every two to three years since the turn of the century.  That's a pretty good output these days.  I guess you can say I'm a casual fan, or maybe one level higher than a casual fan, but I've never been a die hard fan of the band.  Countdown To Extinction is the album that brought me into the fold, and although I've never found a Megadeth album that I like better, I have picked up quite a few since then.  But enough about that, let's get to the album.

The packaging comes with, as usual, a killer album cover.  Megadeth rarely disappoints in that department.  The CD booklet features credits and lyrics that are, thankfully, pretty easy for me to read.  It helps that the photos and backgrounds are dark, while the text is white.  You also get a standard jewel case to house and protect your CD.

Musically, well, you get what you'd expect in a Megadeth record.  There's the screaming guitars, the killer riffs, political lyrics and Dave Mustaine's not so great vocals.  But listen, if you're buying a Megadeth album with the expectation of Freddie Mercury type vocals, you ain't too bright.  Dave's voice, though probably a slight bit weaker than in the 80's and 90's, pretty much sounds the exact way it always has.  The biggest problem with this album is that the songs just don't thrill me.  Not all of them anyway.  There are brilliant musical bits in almost every song, like the Middle Eastern intro on the opening track that gives way to a killer guitar riff.  Or the cool change of pace in the title track.  Even the sweet bass break down on Fatal Illusion.  These are all terrific moments, but the first four songs never crest that mountain top.  Bullet To The Brain tries to with a pretty cool hook, but it falls slightly short.

Then four tracks come along to pick things up a level.  Post American World, Poisonous Shadows and Look Who's Talking are smack dab in the middle of the album, and they do take it to another level.  Like the others, riffs, leads and even hooks to boot.  But they have more bite for some reason.  When I listen to this album, that's where I want to start.  Even Conquer Or Die shines.  From the acoustic beginning to the soaring finish, it is an entertaining, mostly instrumental tune.  I say mostly instrumental, because it closes with some inconsequential spoken lyrics, before giving way to the next track.  And where Lying In State is a decent enough song, The Emperor and Last Dying Wish fit right back in with the bland opening tracks.  The album closes on a bright note, with the head bashing, two and a half minute thrasher Foreign Policy.  I don't really like punk music, but if I did, it would probably sound like this closer.

I can't say I'd really recommend this to anyone other than big Megadeth fans.  It's not at all a difficult album to listen to, but it's also not essential.  But I will hand it to Dave, he continues to pump out new music, and that's not a bad thing in my book.

Overall Rating - 3.5 Out Of 5 (Metalized) Stars

Tracks:

1. The Threat Is Real

2. Dystopia

3. Fatal Illusion

4. Death From Within

5. Bullet To The Brain

6. Post American World

7. Poisonous Shadows

8. Look Who's Talking

9. Conquer Or Die

10. Lying In State

11. The Emperor

12. Last Dying Wish

13. Foreign Policy

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice read...  I like this album, and as of 3/19 its my #1 album of 2016, but only because you disqualified Steven Wilsons 4 1/2 EP and this is the only full album of new material that Ive bought up tot his point...

I stopped buying Megadeth music after So Far, So Good...So What. And despite hearing tracks from subsequent releases, nothing has ever made me want to go back to the band's music.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos