Classic Rock Bottom

I'm a little late in posting my list of the best releases of 2019. Simply because I was slower than usuall in completing the listening and reviewing process for a few albums that I wanted to make sure that I gave consideration to.

My rock and metal exclusive list that I submit to KNAC.COM ended up just being eight releases when I originally sent it in (a revised list was recently sent to them and that will be updated on that site soon enough)

But at long last, I'm done and now I can put together the list which includes not only my rock and metal favorites but the other genres of music I sparingly listened to in 2019. 

As always, my list factors in not just how much I liked the album when I listened to and wrote a review but also how much I did or will be playing the album in the future.

So here's the list:

#10 - Steve Grimmett's Grim Reaper - At The Gates - I've been a fan of Steve Grimmett's voice since the 80's and this incarnation of the band has released two pretty damn good albums in the last few years. My KNAC.COM review!

#9 - Gary Hoey - Neon Highway Blues What can I say, I just happen to love the blues rock music that Gary Hoey has been putting out on his last couple of albums. Factor in the great production work he does with Lita Ford and his annual Christmas music tours and I don't know why he isn't far bigger than he is. He certainly deserves to be. My KNAC.COM review!

#8 - Queensryche - The Verdict - It was a welcome surprise to see Queensryche put out an album that really felt like a Queensryche album in more than just name. Todd La Torre really felt more like he was singing as himself and not imitating Geoff Tate as much as on past releases. I got to see the band on tour for this album and it was a pretty darn good show as well.  My Classic Rock Bottom Review!

#7 - Whitesnake - Flesh & Blood - This was one of the albums I was late in getting around to but it turns out it was worth the wait because despite being a pretty lengthy track listing, this was a fantastic album that got me back into the band after skipping over their recent non-original releases. My Classic Rock Bottom Review!

#6 - Crashdiet - Rust - I really only knew of this band because of one song from their past catalog but I really got into the majority of this album and it was just fun to listen to it again and again. My KNAC.COM Review!

#5 - Dave Bickler - Darklight - This was a genuinely great album to listen to. The ex-Survivor singer put out a rock and roll album that had the best of both sides of the musical coin. Rockers that rocked and the ballads that were surefooted without being sappy. My Classic Rock Bottom Review!

#4 - Tora Tora - Bastards of Beale - This was definitely unexpected. While the band had a few minutes of glory back in the latter days of the 80's metal run, if you'd told me that they'd put out one of the best rock and roll albums in 2019, I probably would've told you that I thought you were nuts. But that's exactly what happened! And I got to see (and meet) the band on the tour for this album. My KNAC.COM Review!

#3 - Helix - Old School - While I'd only really listened to the band's Wild In The Streets album before this one, I was overjoyed to find that this was an album in the same vein. It's a heck of an entertaining record and one that I wish would get more attention from rock and metal fans. My KNAC.COM review!

#2 - Mike Tramp - Stray From The Flock - When I submitted my year end list to KNAC.COM, this was my #1 album. And when it comes to just a strict rock and metal pick, it is definitely my pick. Only one other album beat it out and that's not a rock/metal release. Simply put, Mike Tramp may not be living on his White Lion glory days but his move into becoming an outstanding singer/songwriter has been fascinating to watch/hear and he's really seemed to put it all together with this album. Oh, and I got to see him live for this tour and meet him! My KNAC.COM Review!

And my pick for the best album I listened to in 2019 is:

#1 - BETH HART - WAR IN MY MIND - Everything I want to say about just how great this album is can be read in My Classic Rock Bottom Review! There's just something about Beth Hart's music that always strikes a chord with me.

And that, as they say, is that. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2020 has in store for me musically because I'm sure there's lots of good stuff coming my way. And I'll be eager to listen to it!

Views: 227

Reply to This

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos