Classic Rock Bottom

Well it is that time of year again. A lot of albums came out again this year and I didn't listen to most of them.

I didn't listen to Aerosmith, Rush or Van Halen. I liked the few songs I heard online from the Kiss CD but haven't listened to the whole album. And then there are the albums I wanted to get but haven't been able to squeeze them into my limited music buying budget. Albums from Testament, Heart, Melissa Etheridge, Pride of Lions, Jimi Jamison and Dokken are all still on my To Buy list and thus can't be included here.

Of the ten CDs on my list, I reviewed 8 of them for CRB and the other two I reviewed for Pop-Topia.com

Also, keep in mind that my grade for the CD in the review is not the only determining factor in where the CD ends up on my list. I give weight to the "repeatability" of a CD. That is how often I want and do actually replay the CD.

By the way, the worst album of the year for me was by the new group Reverence. It's called When Darkness Falls. I got it because the drummer used to be in Savatage but this was a bad album.

Meanwhile, the most disappointing album was definitely the Steve Harris CD British Lion. I'll let you search out songs for that CD on Youtube because I am not listening to it again. I'm in the midst of an internal debate whether to list the darn thing on eBay and just get rid of it.

At long last, let's get on with my list in reverse order:

#10 - SLEDGE LEATHER PROJECT - IMAGINE ME ALIVE

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I'm a big fan of Leather Leone and I really enjoyed her return behind the mic. The album got a really good review from me, but it didn't keep itself in my regular rotation so it fell down in the rankings.

#9 - GEOFF TATE - KINGS & THIEVES

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Yes it took me a while to get into the CD, but in the end there were enough songs I ended up liking that I figured it earned a spot on the list. Tate may have lost his powerful pipes over the years and given how he talks in interviews, he's an egotistical ass. But he delivered a generally good rock and roll release.

#8 - DORO - RAISE YOUR FIST

ORIGINAL REVIEW

The album was a solid if a bit disappointing release and I still love Doro like no other metal maiden. Her lyrics weren't as crisp on some songs but this one did enough to merit inclusion.

#7 - BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION - AFTERGLOW

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Due in part to the behind the scenes bitching between Glenn Hughes and Joe Bonamassa, it took me a while to get into this disc, taking repeated playings to get into the music and leave the claptrap off to the side. This album includes two of the best songs the group has recorded.

#6 - UNISONIC - UNISONIC

ORIGINAL REVIEW

The debut release from the group featuring ex-Helloween members Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen was a surprisingly good metal release and I was very happy to get my hands on the disc and my ears filled with the music.

#5 - LITA FORD - LIVING LIKE A RUNAWAY

ORIGINAL REVIEW

After the disaster that was her actual comeback CD, Lita delivered (with the adept help from Gary Hoey) an REAL Lita Ford CD that demonstrated that she still has some life in her as a recording artist.

#4 - OVERKILL - THE ELECTRIC AGE

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Brutal and unrelenting, Overkill knows how to lay the thrashy smack down over and over again. I spent years not liking their music but over the last 3 albums, they've gotten back into my must buy category.

#3 - ADRENALINE MOB - OMERTA

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I didn't really know what to expect from this release despite the individual music pedigrees of the members. What I got was a surprisingly great release from a band that I hope stays together and doesn't become a one off project.

#2 - IRON MAIDEN - EN VIVO! - LIVE AT ESTADIO NACIONAL, SANTIAGO

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Yes I know there are some who think live albums shouldn't be included in a top ten list, but I'm not one of them. Other than the first two tracks (songs I don't like) this is a superb live recording and was my number one disc to play when I went driving anywhere this year.

AND MY NUMBER ONE CD OF THE YEAR IS....

#1 ACCEPT - STALINGRAD

ORIGINAL REVIEW

They did it again! Accept delivered another molten slab of purely enjoyable metal. Simply the best release of the year for me.

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been meaning to post a review, or at least some comments, on the Lita Ford. Very, very good album in my opinion, and will definitely be in my top 10 list.

I'll be looking forward to reading what you have to say about the Lita Ford CD.

I only have two on my list that appear on your list.  Here's mine:

10. Accept - Stalingrad

9. Outlaws - It's About Pride

8. Black Country Communion - Afterglow

7. Slash - Apocalyptic Love

6. Jack Blades - Rock And Roll Ride

5. Testament - Dark Roots Of The Earth

4. The Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs (Debut)

3. UFO - Seven Deadly

2. Rick Springfield - Songs For The End Of The World

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

Good list. Only 1 album on your list that I want to get for myself though, Testament.

Here are mine, I think I'm more right than you guys...  But I could be wrong about that.

1. Anberlin - Vital
2. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
3. Rush - Clockwork Angels
4. UFO - Seven Deadly
5. Flying Colors - Flying Colors
6. Joe Walsh - Analog Man
7. Jack Blades - Rock and Roll Ride
8. Saga - 20/20
9. Black Country Communion - Afterglow
10. Asia - XXX

Just one album in common and no other albums that I feel a pressing need to go out and buy.

I did like the title track for the Joe Walsh album though.

If anybody cares, here are mine:

1. Epicloud - DTP
2. Clockwork Angels - Rush
3. Weather Systems - Anathema
4. Map Of The Past - It Bites
5. Fog Electric - North Atlantic Oscilliation
6. Momentum - Neal Morse
7. Flying Colors - Flying Colors
8. A Different Kind Of Truth - Van Halen
9. Head Down - Rival Sons
10. King Animal - Soundgarden

Man, lot of Rush and Van Halen fans here...

These are pretty lists. They're not right, but they sho nuff pretty!

And yours is?

FIne

1. Lillian Axe--The Days Before Tomorrow

2. Nightwish--Imaginaerum

3. Testament--Dark Roots Of Earth

4. Tygers Of Pan Tang--Ambush

5. Van Halen--A Different Kind Of Truth

6. Lacuna Coil--Dark Andrenaline

7. Devin Townsend Project--Epicloud

8. Rush--Clockwork Angels

9. Saga--20/20

10. Neal Morse--Momentum

Incorrect list, but interesting. LOL

I want to get the Testament CD and possibly the Nightwish CD.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos